Package car drivers exposed!!!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
THERE IS A BIG MALL IN MY CENTER WHICH HAS 2 TRIPS THAT TOOK CARE OF THE WHOLE MALL..
DRIVER A did the job by the book everyday never in trouble took lunch every day
DRIVER b claims he does job by the book although nobody in the center has ever witnessed him taking a lunch or stopping for a burger

driver a is now retired collecting a very good pension

driver b is still working with 25 plus yeARS setting up his truck for an hour + every day and not taking his lunch
giving the company 2 plus hours to make 50 clicks of bonus!!

driver b has been on a different trip for the past 5 years and is ruining every single one of them

in closing....... the COMPANY loves driver b type of people and 90% of my center is a "driver b"
take care of your $$$$ and dont let UPS get in your head!!

Maybe I missed something, what does driver A retiring have to do with driver B still working past 25 years?

Maybe Driver B is like a lot of other folks and has never planned/invested in his future so he can retire...some how this is UPS's fault?

:didimiss:

bumped

Maybe I missed something, what does driver A retiring have to do with driver B still working past 25 years?

Maybe Driver B is like a lot of other folks and has never planned/invested in his future so he can retire...some how this is UPS's fault?

I didn't get it either.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I don't understand this. what your center's disposition geographic nature and density?
rural routes, drivers usually dr. Anything else is stealing time in my experience, and I would agree with that, unless special instructions on pkg (sig required, no DR / claims, and etc)
'Hood routes, sigs on all.
Are you saying drivers steal time? may be the question. ;) I personally would never DR something that if I myself were living there, would want it dr'd. ;)

my center has a wide range of suburban-rural to suburban, to suburban-urban

but as to rural drivers DRing everything, in a nearby major city, i know for a fact the drivers DR far more than we do.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Telematics flags any work done during meal/break times that the driver posts in their DIAD.

To be fair, my center manager has never told anyone to work through part or all of their lunch break. However, one of our runner/gunners posted a 5.82 hr paid day last week on a 8.5 hr dispatch. He does not touch a package before start time and does put a full lunch/break in to his DIAD. As to whether he takes it all or not.....

This isn't part of the standard telematics query.
Perhaps it is something they can monitor, but I doubt it is a source of "concern".

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Those that do not take a lunch are required to enter a lunch into the diad......because it is in the contract. If you choose not to take a lunch then you should not be required to record it as such. That small bit of rewording in the contract would solve alot of perceived integrity issues.

The contract states that employees shall be paid for all time spent in the service of the Employer.

If you dont take a lunch, dont put one in the DIAD. Period.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The contract states that employees shall be paid for all time spent in the service of the Employer.

If you dont take a lunch, dont put one in the DIAD. Period.

Try that here and you will be having a chat with the center manager. We are required to put our full lunch (45 min) and break (10 min) in to our DIADs. Whether we actually take them or not is another story.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Bubble, Dave is right about this district. They INSIST you take your full lunch and break IN THE BOARD. If you want to take less, you have to ask permission beforehand. And, they know if you work during your break/lunch. Write-ups can and have occurred at my center for just that issue.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubble, Dave is right about this district. They INSIST you take your full lunch and break IN THE BOARD. If you want to take less, you have to ask permission beforehand. And, they know if you work during your break/lunch. Write-ups can and have occurred at my center for just that issue.

Here they insist you put a full lunch in our diad as well, though nothing is ever said about working through it.
They also insist that you need permission not to take a full lunch.
That is where it gets interesting.
The contract states that we are required to take a 30 minute lunch, between the 3rd and 6th hour.
For a center manager to think he has the authority to enter into an extra contractual agreement with a driver is also a contractual violation.
I rarely skip any portion of my lunch or breaks, but when I do I certainly don't ask for permission.
The center manager and myself have agreed not ask one anothers permission when we are going to violate the contract.

yeldarb

Their number 1 concern here is recording a lunch here also, of course though, they can care less if you take a break, since its paid.

article22

Banned
my center is filled with driver b's DRAGON AND BUMPED U GUYS ARE TYPE B DRIVERS... ALL THE RUNNERS NEVER PUT A PENNY AWAY FOR RETIREMENT... THEY ARE TOO BUSY TRYIN TO PAY THAT HIGH MORTGAGE THAT THEY SHOULDNT BE IN...

Dragon

Package Center Manager
my center is filled with driver b's DRAGON AND BUMPED U GUYS ARE TYPE B DRIVERS... ALL THE RUNNERS NEVER PUT A PENNY AWAY FOR RETIREMENT... THEY ARE TOO BUSY TRYIN TO PAY THAT HIGH MORTGAGE THAT THEY SHOULDNT BE IN...

Ok I am with you now..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Try that here and you will be having a chat with the center manager. We are required to put our full lunch (45 min) and break (10 min) in to our DIADs. Whether we actually take them or not is another story.

Your center manager can "chat" all he wants to, but he still has to pay you for the time worked.

OptimusPrime

Maybe I have been drinking managements Kool Aid in terms of telematics, but the way they tell it, this kind of behavior is an instant red flag from the system. Basically if you are found making deliveries during a lunch, it's game over. Being a bonus center, you are stealing from the company by gaming your numbers. Even if you tried to get slick, and log just road travel time as lunch, once again, it's supposed to instantly flag any "lunch" time if the vehicle is moving.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Maybe I have been drinking managements Kool Aid in terms of telematics, but the way they tell it, this kind of behavior is an instant red flag from the system. Basically if you are found making deliveries during a lunch, it's game over. Being a bonus center, you are stealing from the company by gaming your numbers. Even if you tried to get slick, and log just road travel time as lunch, once again, it's supposed to instantly flag any "lunch" time if the vehicle is moving.

I agree it could be a red flag if it was something they were looking for.
I believe that getting drivers to skip lunch and breaks is exactly what they are trying accomplish.
Stealing time?
From who?
Worse case scenario for the company, in a bonus center, is they break even.
More than likely, with today's jacked up allowances, the company comes out ahead on time and puts less drivers on road.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Stealing time?
From who?
Yeah......I don't get this stealing time thing.
If a driver who works in a bonus center records 45 minutes of breaks in the day, but works through those breaks, and bonuses 45 minutes or more for the day then that is scratch or under allowed in my book. Anything less than 45 minutes bonus could be considered getting paid for work not done. What about the drivers that are considerably over allowed? Isn't that stealing time? So what is the difference?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah......I don't get this stealing time thing.
If a driver who works in a bonus center records 45 minutes of breaks in the day, but works through those breaks, and bonuses 45 minutes or more for the day then that is scratch or under allowed in my book. Anything less than 45 minutes bonus could be considered getting paid for work not done. What about the drivers that are considerably over allowed? Isn't that stealing time? So what is the difference?

The difference is integrity. The milker may be slow but he is honest. The runner/gunner is being dishonest.

I would love to have the option of a 45 minute lunch with only 30 of those minutes mandatory.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I would think the percentage of drivers in my Center that sit down for the full half hour is low. I think one of the reasons the company came up with the bonus plan in the first place was to address the problem of drivers skipping lunch and not getting paid. Taking my lunch or fudging it now has no effect on my pay. The old adage that if every driver took a full lunch at noon we would add routes. BS. Everyone would just roll in half an hour later. Face it, we all pay dues but when it comes down to it it's a me first mentality. The company takes advantage of that.

What'dyabringmetoday???

The difference is integrity. The milker may be slow but he is honest. The runner/gunner is being dishonest.

I would love to have the option of a 45 minute lunch with only 30 of those minutes mandatory.
That was brought up at proposal meeting. The guy that is supposedly the B.A. claims it has a good chance of making it into next contract. Of course, I believe little of what he has to say.