Package car drivers exposed!!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The difference is integrity. The milker may be slow but he is honest. The runner/gunner is being dishonest.

I would love to have the option of a 45 minute lunch with only 30 of those minutes mandatory.

Not only being dishonest but screwing everyone else that does that rte. There is no way I can run the same numbers on a rte that is R&G'd.

I have a 30 min lunch and 2 15 min breaks. I take 45 at lunch time and save my 15 for later in the day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That was brought up at proposal meeting. The guy that is supposedly the B.A. claims it has a good chance of making it into next contract. Of course, I believe little of what he has to say.

I was there. I was the one who proposed raising the hours needed each year for pension credit so that the guys would stop taking so many dead days. I was also the one who ate most of the doughnuts and left before the general membership meeting.

yeldarb

When they reduced our lunch option to 30 minutes from an hour, it wasnt even at the contract time...It was in the middle of the contract.

''

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
20+drivers work 1-2 hrs early daily with nothing said! Off the clock.

Funny thing happened the other day. Managers were running around "Warning" these drivers that come in 1+hr. working their load off the clock, Take caution cause the union is coming, don't get caught working.

What the crap, Who's giving Management the heads up and enabling them to hide this CRAP!!!

And, shouldn't they be the ones telling these guys, not to come in sooner then 15 min. till start like we were taught during our hiring!!!!!

I remember that no one is permited earlier then 15 min or later then 15 min after clock out on property.

This is supposed to be company policy!!

Pading #'s, drivers screwing up time allowances and people warning managers that union is coming to check IS all B.S.

What the hell happened to this company. Oh, Billions of $$$ happened.

Fire the warning birds, narking on your own union representation.

QKRSTKR

On my center we have a simple solution for problems like this.

A shop steward shows up early and documents how much time the driver spends working off of the clock before start time. He then requests a copy of that drivers timecard and delivery records to see if any deliveries were made during the reported lunch time. Having gathered this information, the steward then files a grievance for the bargaining unit to be made whole for all hours worked off of the clock. This will force management to deal with the problem driver instead of looking the other way, because they will be paying out those hours at the overtime rate and it will make someone look bad on a report.

I like the idea but 2 questions.

1. why is it the stewards responsibility to do this, are the memebers to scared to do this?

It's all our contract, not just stewards. Stewards job is to process greivances for the members and investigate. Be a branch of union when dicipline is given. It's all members jobs to enforce contract. So if this affects a driver, then that driver should have the guts to step up and put his name on the greivance.

2. These drivers breaking the contract are members as well. Would you like to see them fired for failure to follow?

I personally like to make fun of these people. Tell them how for lack of a better word "stupid" they are. I say coming in an hour before your start time is no different then standing around an hour after you punch out. It's the same. Guess some people have no life.

I get there usually no more than 5 mins before start.

yeldarb

I have no problem with people getting there early. I dont like "hoping" that traffic is okay on the way to work. I like to get my water and talk with others. I dont sort my car or load my car, but I DO tell me loader what he can do better to make it easier for both of us.

iruhnman630

We were reminded at pcm today that one of our drivers was serving his one-day suspension today for being in his car before start time. It is a big issue right now, and several drivers have been warned for even putting their bag into the car before start time.

We do have the option of asking our center manager to punch in early if needed before doing so.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We were reminded at pcm today that one of our drivers was serving his one-day suspension today for being in his car before start time. It is a big issue right now, and several drivers have been warned for even putting their bag into the car before start time.

We do have the option of asking our center manager to punch in early if needed before doing so.
It's being pushed here as well. We are allowed to drop our stuff on the floor, inside the cab. That's it. And that's as far as it goes. They do nothing about enforcing it. Hell, I push it just to get the day off if it really went that far.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Most of us start at 8:55. I was called in a few weeks ago to run an Early AM. Started at 7:45. I was amazed how many drivers were wandering in before I left at 8:05. I think we have one guy that gets there at 7. Thinks he makes good bonus but if you work 2 hours before start that's not much bonus.

Most of us start at 8:55. I was called in a few weeks ago to run an Early AM. Started at 7:45. I was amazed how many drivers were wandering in before I left at 8:05. I think we have one guy that gets there at 7. Thinks he makes good bonus but if you work 2 hours before start that's not much bonus.
That guy = stupid

S

speeddemon

This is the most asinine thing I have ever heard of. Oh, unless you have a bunch of immature adults in your building. Carry on.

BrownArmy

Bubble, Dave is right about this district. They INSIST you take your full lunch and break IN THE BOARD. If you want to take less, you have to ask permission beforehand. And, they know if you work during your break/lunch. Write-ups can and have occurred at my center for just that issue.

LOL, centers are so different...

I can GUARANTEE no one in my center has EVER received any discipline for delivering during 'lunch' or 'breaks'.

What will get you in the hot seat is not entering a full lunch into the DIAD (here we are required to take a one hour lunch). Whether or not you take it is certainly not the point, but if you don't enter it, you'll get a talking to.

Personally, I'd prefer a thirty-minute lunch, but I'm sure the company and the Union (at least in my district) won't budge on the full hour.

Company gets a lot of free work!