Package car drivers in there sixties?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by onehandsolo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. onehandsolo

onehandsolo Active Member

Hey I am a 46 year old package car driver. I would like to retire around 62. The oldest driver in our center is 60 years old. Hope my body can hold up.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I will be 58 when I become eligible to retire.

3. BlackJack616

BlackJack616 Active Member

I plan on retiring by 45, couldnt imagine going till 60

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We have to be at least 55 with a minimum of 30 years of service to receive a full pension. Anything less than that and our reduced pension will start when we turn 65.

5. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

It's posts like these that make me glad I'm working as much as I can now to maximize my earning abilty while I still can so I don't have to stay here past 55.

6. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Don't worry you get smarter and better with age. I'd go to feeders though.

7. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Get a retirement route like mine and you can work until you're 70.

8. ups1990

ups1990 Well-Known Member

Not in our center. We haven't had one in about five years. I don't see anyone driving past 60, unless they started full time after 40 or so. We're all dealing with this new monster(UPS) which no one is familiar with.

9. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

10. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Package car drivers in THEIR sixty's do like red socks.

11. kevingcp

kevingcp New Member

We have a guy who's been here for over 40 years. I think he's in his early seventies.
    We asked him why he won't retire and he said, "Because then I'd have to deal with my wife every day."

12. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

We have a few in their 60's. if u get the right route it's not bad. Also depends a lot on what kind of shape u keep your body in.

13. thatsmypackage

thatsmypackage New Member

From what I'm seeing, the old timers (drivers) stick around forever... doesn't matter how crippled they are, they manage to have a nice easy work day, everyday... otherwise they wouldn't stay so long.

14. onehandsolo

onehandsolo Active Member

I work with a personal trainer one day a week. She has help me to improve my balance and strength. I run 2 to 3 miles 3 times a week. Hopefully I will be able to work another 16 years. It helps to have 6 weeks vacation as well.

15. rod

rod retired and happy

I will let you in on a little secret-----it only looks easy because they know how to do it right. The same route being ran by a runner/gunner would be a cluster ----.

16. The Milkman

The Milkman Well-Known Member

I left at 55 after 25.. I did not want to be a cripple when I retired. Wanted to enjoy life while still in somewhat good shape..Leave as soon as you are eligible and if you have to......get a less stressfull, physical Job to get by..You can't buy time..:peaceful::peaceful:

17. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

I did just that after only 17 years. It's called "Feeders".

18. serenity now

serenity now Guest

No way someone can do this job in their sixties..........

.....oh, wait, perhaps they can

19. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

You keep running all them miles HANSOLO youll last 8 years instead of 16. You better protect them knees son. Im not dogging you trying to stay in shape but commonsense would tell me if im beating the hell out of my knees everyday at work why the hell would I beat the hell out of my knees outside of work. Outside running aint paying your bills UPS is. You want to run all them miles I got a better one for ya and will get plenty of exercise doing it. Its called a stationary bike. Live it, learn it, love it. Just saying dude in my opinion its idiotic to beat the hell out of your knees on top of doing this crazy job everyday. This job is a marathon you aint going to win that race in 1 day. Take care of your body and use commonsense.

20. Buck Fifty

Buck Fifty New Member

Question for me is not if I could do it, its if I will do it into my sixties. I dont smell it !!!