Package car driving hours

D

dammor

Sorry Tie, but that statement was unacceptable on many levels.

T

tieguy

Actually he chased me and begged me to make it so it was very acceptable. If you folks want to pander to his antics then feel free.

D

dammor

Actually, you are the one that just pandered to his antics.

P

proups

For all you package drivers out there that do not agree that UPS applies the DOT Hours of Service to you, go ask your center manager. I think you will find that UPS applies those rules to all drivers across the board.

I do not mean to get into Tieguy and Kidlogic's fued, but I haven't seen any of the package drivers posting here go ask management how the rules apply to them and report back in this thread. DOT Hours of Service Regs apply to all drivers at UPS.

D

dannyboy

UPS management in my building WANTS the DOT hours of service to apply. But as a practical matter, shucks happens. They also want all drivers under a 9.5, but that doesnt happen too often.

Like I said, 11 plus hours are usually not the rule, but they do happen. And days over 16 hours happen too.

d

W

wkmac

Now that UPS has announced or is about too that the ground delivery of some areas of the country is a day earlier I wonder if pressure will start to appear on getting drivers back earlier to the Local/Reload/Twilight Sorts in order to make those new ground commitments? The pressure will not only be on the driver but the dispatch supervisor especially with the new PAS system.

And another word to remember, "Center of the Future". Technology will now start to effect the management ranks as centers in multi-center buildings are collasped and even sort management structure is changed. Our building has had 3 centers with 3 management teams but will very shortly have 2 and the belief is that also very shortly there will only be 1 center manager where there was once 3. Preload Sort who also had as many as 4 to 5 Fulltime management people will soon have none and even the Reload Sort has had a reduction from 3 down to 2 fulltime management and that number will probably go to 1 in early spring of 04'. Cost savings with management cuts and reduction are on the horizon because they are being replaced by a computer. Funny, I do believe I said that very thing well over a year ago and in our building it is happening as I speak! Not a genius but a strong gut feeling on my part. Could have been heartburn too!
wink.gif
Will be interesting to watch as this process moves forward. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad at this point although I have my reservations. Just remember the term "Center of the Future"

T

toonertoo

Pro Ups, I can tell you that honestly when I asked, managment did not know. It happens rarely this time of year, but it happens, and had not four drivers come out, it would have been a 16 hr day, by the dispatch numbers. And no one knew what time I had to be in according to DOT.

L

local804

Here in Ny, in the package division, the only dot regulation that is enforced is the 60 hour work week rule.You did not need a CDL to drive the big brown truck when I started driving.The truck is below the 26,000 lb weight.I just think this is another of the double sided sword theories at UPS.The little bout between the two men on this thread is pretty amusing though......