Package Car question.

Brown Now

I was listening to a talk show out of Chicago the other day and they had a travel "guru"on as a guest. He had said that because of ever changing airline luggage measurements/requirements, that the hot trend in travel is to send your luggage ahead.

He said that you must do this five days before you travel, domestic travel only, and that you do this through FDX Ground. Made it sound like FDX Ground has this little niche service.Just show up with your bags and they'll take care of it from there. Hotels are in on this as well.

Do we have anything like this? Have any of you seen or delivered luggage? Does Atlanta even know about this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This has been an option for quite some time but really hasn't been accepted by the traveling public. Part of the problem is the destination hotels may charge a fee to receive your bags for you. You also have to set up a pickup when you are ready to leave.

What I do see people doing is shipping their golf clubs. Those can be a pain to bring to the airport.

Brown Now

Ok, thanks. I was curious due to him only pointing out Fdx Ground. Sounding a little adamant about it as well. He did also say that airlines are really trying to get away from carry on luggage. They want planes in and out of the gate as quickly as possible. Carry on luggage is is putting a crimp on this.

They are slowly going to all luggage going through baggage check and traveling in the belly of the plane. Claimed you will start to see more people sending their luggage forward. Can't see hotels having all this space for luggage of guests not showing up for days.

HardknocksUPSer

Used to see this very often on one particular truck that covers a wealthy side of town, suitcases for each family member as well as their golf bags.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
This has been an option for quite some time but really hasn't been accepted by the traveling public. Part of the problem is the destination hotels may charge a fee to receive your bags for you. You also have to set up a pickup when you are ready to leave.

What I do see people doing is shipping their golf clubs. Those can be a pain to bring to the airport.

Probably a pain when you get home only to find, your custom Calloway Big Bertha is bent in half, too.

UPSGUY72

In most case it's cheaper to just check your luggage at the airline. It's also less of a hassle. For kids going to college or camp it's easier on them other than that you can't be saving to much if any money.

Wizzy

15 years ago I had an account that sold hearing aids and used usps. Converted them to ups and the owner was a avid fisherman, traveled all over fishing and flying back and forth, his biggest problem was getting his fishing rods back and forth. He made a pvc pipe, I sent them out on Wednesday and his staff sent a call tag to have them picked up the day after he left. I got a ham and Christmas bonus just like all his salesman!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I deliver to a college town and just yesterday delivered a large duffel bag to a residence. I'm sure it was cheaper to ship it thru us than to pay extra to fly it.

Cowboy Mac

Yeah the luggage has to go through the irreg system. I handle at least one every night. Once we had the local hockey team (not NHL) send their sticks and duffel bags through us to CA where they had a game. Now that's putting a lot of trust in UPS.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Do we have anything like this? Have any of you seen or delivered luggage? Does Atlanta even know about this?
We ship luggage quite a bit in my center. Not saying we do 100 bags a day. But usually 1 or 2 come through a day at the minimum. We have bag tags especially for luggage.

He did also say that airlines are really trying to get away from carry on luggage. They want planes in and out of the gate as quickly as possible. Carry on luggage is is putting a crimp on this.
The new trend in the industry is getting people to check bags rather than carry on. One ultra low cost carrier, Spirit, actually charges you more to carry on than to check your bag. The bottle neck in boarding is almost never based on people trying to find their seat and almost entirely based on baggage going in the overhead bin.

There are actually a few companies whose sole business is shipping luggage. They either utilize cargo belly space on passenger aircraft or use a third party such as us or FedEx. I personally don't see the point in it unless I was moving a large amount of stuff cross country.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was listening to a talk show out of Chicago the other day and they had a travel "guru"on as a guest. He had said that because of ever changing airline luggage measurements/requirements, that the hot trend in travel is to send your luggage ahead.

He said that you must do this five days before you travel, domestic travel only, and that you do this through FDX Ground. Made it sound like FDX Ground has this little niche service.Just show up with your bags and they'll take care of it from there. Hotels are in on this as well.

Nothing new. Been getting luggage for years. Be sure to put extra address labels on it.