package car regulations?

gray squirrel

Does anyone know if our package cars have noise and dust regulations? My package car sucks so much dust inside the cab that I can't breath. I close all doors, shut all vents, and still have dust so thick in the cab, it can be hard to see. I came down with a upper and lower respiratory infection last week, and I am still fighting it. The package car rattles and squeaks very loud also. I have put tape on door jams, guides, and metal to metal contact points, and it has quieted it down a little. Yes I have a country route with many backroads. I drive around 200 miles daily. My ears ring a lot of days when I get home. I forsee retiring with hearing aids, oxygen, artificial knees, a wheelchair, etc. I am grateful for my job at UPS, but know that it is slowly sucking the life out of my worn out body.

Does anyone know if our package cars have noise and dust regulations? My package car sucks so much dust inside the cab that I can't breath. I close all doors, shut all vents, and still have dust so thick in the cab, it can be hard to see. I came down with a upper and lower respiratory infection last week, and I am still fighting it. The package car rattles and squeaks very loud also. I have put tape on door jams, guides, and metal to metal contact points, and it has quieted it down a little. Yes I have a country route with many backroads. I drive around 200 miles daily. My ears ring a lot of days when I get home. I forsee retiring with hearing aids, oxygen, artificial knees, a wheelchair, etc. I am grateful for my job at UPS, but know that it is slowly sucking the life out of my worn out body.
What kind of PC are you driving? Newer model or older? P5 or what?
The P5s that I have driven on rtes like your's have been bad about sucking in dust in the package area but not the cab so much. The newer trucks with the low step are worse than the P5s on cab dust because the level of the opening into the cab is about 1/2 the height of the front wheels where the dust kicks up. I have no idea how to defeat it though.
OSHA has guidelines on the noise level of the work environment, that would include the noise in your truck. Your answer there is probably ear plugs. Before anyone says it, you can still hear other vehicles horns and sirens from emergency vehicles.
Look on the bright side, our insurance pays pretty good for hearing aids.

UPSNewbie

What kind of PC are you driving? Newer model or older? P5 or what?
The P5s that I have driven on rtes like your's have been bad about sucking in dust in the package area but not the cab so much. The newer trucks with the low step are worse than the P5s on cab dust because the level of the opening into the cab is about 1/2 the height of the front wheels where the dust kicks up. I have no idea how to defeat it though.
OSHA has guidelines on the noise level of the work environment, that would include the noise in your truck. Your answer there is probably ear plugs. Before anyone says it, you can still hear other vehicles horns and sirens from emergency vehicles.
Look on the bright side, our insurance pays pretty good for hearing aids.

My best guess is to have mudflaps on the front wheel wells, so that it will kick some of the dust out the side instead of right up into the doorway.

JonFrum

Don't pass the problem on to someone else before at least makeing a further attempt to fix it.

File a grievance:
ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS

Section 16. Noise Abatement
All new package cars and feeders, will be ordered to comply with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR), regarding in cab noise levels.

Section 17. Vehicle Integrity
The Employer agrees to maintain all door and engine compartment seals in order to eliminate, as much as possible, fumes, dust and moisture in the package car.
Read all of Article 18 as it addresses other package car issues as well.

some1else

Banned
i didnt see what type of pkg car you are driving, but with the newer p5 if you take about three DR bags and use the to line the engine cover in the cab (stick them half in/ half out then put the cover back on. this helps alot because they leak pretty bad. other than that i dont see where the dust is coming from (when you say you have everything shut) unless the doors are on really crooked.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think some of the problem is the truck. I have taken different trucks out one particular rd (8 miles one way). One truck will bring alot of dust into the cab and another will not bring any dust into the cab. Same road and weather conditions.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have had the best luck by closing both doors, opening both windows, and opening the little vent that is located by my left foot. I believe all package cars have this little vent.

The newer package cars have an overhead vent that draws fresh air in from above the windshield and in to the package compartment. There is a little lever to open and shut this vent, make sure it is open. It has the effect of "pressurising" the package compartment when the car is moving, and it will keep the dust from being sucked in thru the back door.

If the seals on your doors are worn out, write the vehicle up and file a grievance if needed to force the company to comply with the contract language that requires maintainence of those seals.

old levi's

blank space
I have had the best luck by closing both doors, opening both windows, and opening the little vent that is located by my left foot. I believe all package cars have this little vent.

The newer package cars have an overhead vent that draws fresh air in from above the windshield and in to the package compartment. There is a little lever to open and shut this vent, make sure it is open. It has the effect of "pressurising" the package compartment when the car is moving, and it will keep the dust from being sucked in thru the back door.

If the seals on your doors are worn out, write the vehicle up and file a grievance if needed to force the company to comply with the contract language that requires maintainence of those seals.

If you close both doors where I am the heat will kill you long before you have time to worry about the dust. I don't even close the doors in the winter. (both weeks) The only time I close the doors is when it's raining sideways.
:sweating:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you close both doors where I am the heat will kill you long before you have time to worry about the dust. I don't even close the doors in the winter. (both weeks) The only time I close the doors is when it's raining sideways.
:sweating:

It gets hot here too, and as long as I open both windows there isnt a noticeable difference in temperature when you are driving down the road with the doors shut. The windows are high enough off the ground that they dont allow much dust in.

pudg00

pudg00
Write your car up for an "exhaust leak". I believe they must pull it from the line. Maybe you will get a car that is not as bad.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
Write your car up for an "exhaust leak". I believe they must pull it from the line. Maybe you will get a car that is not as bad.
sorry but nice try, If i get a write up on " Exhaust Leak " and there isn't one, it's going right back on line. Drivers need to rite up the truck for what is really wrong no matter what!

i get silly requests sometimes but I try to put myself in the shoes of a driver and say to myself " could I handle this like 150 times a day? " If the answer is no, then I try to do something better than what is there!:happy2:

gray squirrel

Update, I forgot to mention it is a newer freightliner, automatic, power steering model with the mercedez diesel. I will try to vent options, and slow down.

It gets hot here too, and as long as I open both windows there isnt a noticeable difference in temperature when you are driving down the road with the doors shut. The windows are high enough off the ground that they dont allow much dust in.
First, not all of our trucks have the vents. Second, I'm not slamming you at all however. In West Texas, in July and August, when the temp is 105-110 in the shade that air that comes into the cab of the truck is hot enough to make your skin feel like it is being roasted. Imagine using a hair dyer set on high for a personal fan. No, I am NOT exaggerating. I can bet that Dilli can testify to this also.