Package Car with a trailer

raceanoncr

Our building has about 16 of these "pup" trailers. I have been pulling one almost every day for 20 years. They are used to feed satellite routes and for bulk stops and pickups. During peak a bike helper will work out of one. The genius who came up with that idea as a method of "reducing miles" totally forgot to consider the fact that the driver who drops it off might be 15 or 20 miles away at the end of his day when he has to drive back to where he parked the trailer in order to retrieve it. He also failed to consider the fact that a driver who pulls a trailer cannot normally deliver any of his own committed Next Day Air...or much of anything else for that matter....until he has gotten that trailer empty and parked and unhooked. So whatever miles might be saved on one route are simply shifted on to another due to the logistics involved in getting the trailer out to and back from the delivery area. When I.E. forced some of our rural routes out onto "satellite" centers...over the objections of the center managers who would have to deal with them on a daily basis....total miles and paid days for the drivers in the affected loops increased. It was another typical example of someone with too much authority and too few brains having themselves a "bright idea" that looks great on Google Earth but fails miserably when you actually have to implement it in the real world.

Yes, but it looks good on the "I justified my job" report at the end of the day, Sober.

A few years ago, in a grievance meeting with the labor manager, feeder manager, BA, myself and, at that time, my sleeper partner, after proving that their actions were going to cost more money, the labor manager, arrogantly stood up and announced, "No where in the contract does it say we HAVE to make money!". "Well, you got me there, Spanky", is what I was thinking. Instead I stood up and arrogantly replied, "You might have been able to say that 20 years ago but I'm a stockholder now and I DEMAND you make money!"

Stunned, the meeting was adjourned, deadlocked, and sent to panel.

I pulled a TP60 every day on my retail route. I would run off the airs, go to the dump stop in the trailer, drop it of and run the rest of the route. during the peak season I would leave it where other drivers could come and use it to dump some of their pickups to make room. I was glad to pull it because it gave me a bit of skills to go into feeder.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I pulled a TP60 every day on my retail route. I would run off the airs, go to the dump stop in the trailer, drop it of and run the rest of the route. during the peak season I would leave it where other drivers could come and use it to dump some of their pickups to make room. I was glad to pull it because it gave me a bit of skills to go into feeder.

That can be a bit tricky when the airs in question are for rural areas or dead-end streets. I cant count the number of arguments I have had over the years with new sups who dont understand why so much of my air has to get cut off of me to an adjacent route. Whenever the "bright idea fairy" comes along and pees in their coffee and they decide to eliminate or combine that route with another one, all of that air comes back to me and they get pissed when I deliver it at 7:00 at night and enter "other" for the exception reason. They are simply unable to grasp the concept that I cannot and will not try to pull a loaded pup trailer up a 1/2 mile long gravel driveway on top of a mountain and hope that I can find a way to get it turned around. The stuff in that trailer is getting delivered first, and the more air they dump on me the more of it is going to get delivered after the commit time. I have only been explaining it to them for about 16 years....maybe someday it will finally sink in.