Package Driver pay

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
of course you feel that way - everyone should always want more money. i drive around all day long, every day, putting my life in danger for this company. i deal with the public, just not in a package car. maybe I should get a raise too?!?
I don't think driving around in the A\C in your four wheeler sipping latte's is quite the same but nice try though:wink2:

Gosh USales,must be a real heart thumper worrying if you`ll get shived while negotiating a new account. Who`s our new customer,the Crypts?

whiskey

please...it's summer...it's slurpee season :)
I was sitting at a red light, watching two young boys walk their bikes across a state highway. One behind the other. Then a car, without braking, hit the second boy. I put my head down and thought briefly about what I just witnessed. Then I put my hazards on, jumped to the street, stopped traffic both ways, and then had the courage to look at the boy 150 feet away. I left after the police arrived.The setting sun was in perfect position to blind the driver of the oncoming car. This type of situation, although rare, occurs on a regular basis in package car. My point being, package car is own unique animal.

SKAGITDRIVER

i dont think i could maximize my sales time stopping at each customer for 12 seconds or whatever insane number they give you all!

When the hell did we start getting 12 seconds a stop I thought we were still on ten seconds nobody tells me anything then again if it was at the am pcm I don't listen to that codswallop and that would explain it

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I was sitting at a red light, watching two young boys walk their bikes across a state highway. One behind the other. Then a car, without braking, hit the second boy. I put my head down and thought briefly about what I just witnessed. Then I put my hazards on, jumped to the street, stopped traffic both ways, and then had the courage to look at the boy 150 feet away. I left after the police arrived.The setting sun was in perfect position to blind the driver of the oncoming car. This type of situation, although rare, occurs on a regular basis in package car. My point being, package car is own unique animal.
This brings up a question. Another driver and I were having a discussion about if you see an accident and there are injuries should you stop to help. When I was working for the company I was at before I came here, I witnessed several and always stopped to help. How does UPS feel about this? I was a salaried driver at the other company. I don't know if they would have had a problem with it had I been hourly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This brings up a question. Another driver and I were having a discussion about if you see an accident and there are injuries should you stop to help. When I was working for the company I was at before I came here, I witnessed several and always stopped to help. How does UPS feel about this? I was a salaried driver at the other company. I don't know if they would have had a problem with it had I been hourly.

You are a human being first and an employee second. I would certainly hope that you would stop to do what you could to help until the authorities arrived, whether it be directing traffic or, if certified, providing first aid.

konsole

If I was to ever become a driver I would take the truck home one day, close the door that splits the cab and shelves area and then take a hose to that the whole shelves area and wash off a good amount of the years and years of crap buildup. Haven't decided yet what to do with the cab itself but I know I would not want to drive those grime buckets around all day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I was to ever become a driver I would take the truck home one day, close the door that splits the cab and shelves area and then take a hose to that the whole shelves area and wash off a good amount of the years and years of crap buildup. Haven't decided yet what to do with the cab itself but I know I would not want to drive those grime buckets around all day.

That is a very good idea and one that I have done myself several times but you need to make sure that your house is on your area or you may be asked why you were off area and you will have to sacrifice either your break or part of your lunch because they will not pay you just to wash out your pkg car.

It takes me about 10 minutes to wash mine out.

You can also wash the cab but need to be very careful where you spray.

Re-Raise

My house is on my area, I use my shop-vac and a wet towel.

My truck is never completely empty when I take my lunch because I have on area pickups during the day.

Doesn't take long and gets the packing peanuts and some of the dust out of the back.

Ghost in the Darkness

And to this date, I still wonder how I would have finished my day (if I was caught inside), or even finished my week, or even if I would just quit.

And I wonder how UPS would deal with it, if I needed longer time off work, then they expect.

They'd probably accuse you of stealing time. Probably make you sign something to the effect of "If I hadn't been chatting with the customer so long I would've been outta there before it was robbed."

klein

Für Meno :)
They'd probably accuse you of stealing time. Probably make you sign something to the effect of "If I hadn't been chatting with the customer so long I would've been outta there before it was robbed."

No doubt.
I once had to explain why it took me 8 minutes to deliver to the house next door.
I showed them my dog bite mark.. told them I treated it with the first aid kit. Some anti-disinfection stuff, etc...

It's not a bad job. But, when you're already doing as good as you can (even more by skipping lunchbreaks), they still expect more and more out of you.
It just chokes !

Ms.PacMan

of course you feel that way - everyone should always want more money. i drive around all day long, every day, putting my life in danger for this company. i deal with the public, just not in a package car. maybe I should get a raise too?!?

You should get more pay because I imagine every person who has ever met you wanted to hurt you.

Everyone always thinks they are worth more but, I do have one question which I hope someone can answer. Which is worse being a ups driver or a police officer? Which pays more?

QKRSTKR

Wow, this thread went all over the place. I remember on my first bid area it was all hood. I was in a carry-out and a guy came in and asked what time it was, man I hit the floor. Of course nothing happenend and I looked foolish, but that was the mind set I was always in down there. I always kept my P-car close to. That was my sanctuary. That rte was tough.:dead: