Package Driver ticketed for not stopping at Weigh Scale Center

Jhansen

Package Car driver here, and I was ticketed for not stopping at the weigh scale center? I've never stopped before (I generally work in Memphis, but had a few deliveries in Northern Mississippi today)... Any experiences with this?

PT Car Washer

I had been confused about package car stopping at scales. I used to not bother and never been stopped. Anymore I pull in and always get bypassed. I think all commercial vehicles are suppose to scale.

Theking30

SHORTY
Stop every time it is the law. Most D.O.T. Officers really don't care. It is that one that might be having a bad day you have to worry about. So just stop.

AKCoverMan

It must be a state by state thing. I have always pulled in but once was driving a lil 4x4 friend-350. The guy running the scale came out and told me that if the vehicle has GVW under 10,000 then no stop was required.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It must be a state by state thing. I have always pulled in but once was driving a lil 4x4 friend-350. The guy running the scale came out and told me that if the vehicle has GVW under 10,000 then no stop was required.

All commercial vehicles have to go through a weigh station when it is open.

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

Package Car driver here, and I was ticketed for not stopping at the weigh scale center? I've never stopped before (I generally work in Memphis, but had a few deliveries in Northern Mississippi today)... Any experiences with this?
I always stop. We are dot vehicles. We are paid by the hour and we aren't better than anyone else so I stop.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Driver? I would put in a grievance for the cost if no training was involved?

It is up to the driver to know the DOT rules. It is not up to UPS to teach you the rules.

They only teach you the hours of service rules, because if you violate those, UPS also gets fined. They are just trying to limit their liability.

If you pass a weigh scale and get caught, you are the only one fined.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Been driving package a long time. Never heard anything about weight of truck. We even call it a car.

What does it say on the license plate? Truck.

The EVWR and GVWR should be on a sticker under the dash.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. You could still get cited.