Package Handler - Background Check Question

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by RND, May 30, 2016.

1. RND

RND New Member

I am going to a Sort Observation for a Package Handler tomorrow and had a question about background checks. I have 3 DUI's from 11, 16, and 25 years ago, not felonies but all resulted in a few days of jail time. I am not looking to be a driver just looking for steady work at a good company. Should I even bother trying?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  2. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

You should be fine. They look for felonies. FYI, it may be steady work, but it's not a good company. Good luck to you.

3. outtatime

outtatime Active Member

Thirsty much?

4. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Don't bother to even show up. Look elsewhere, you'll be glad you did.

FedEx sucks and all you'll get is part-time hours, a lot of hassles and plenty of excuses.

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

He is a 3 time loser with limited options. He will fit in just fine.

6. BootsOnTarmac

BootsOnTarmac Member

No felonies for five years, pass a drug test, no problem. Becoming a package handler at 43+ years of age kind of sucks. What's the Opco? If Express, you will make a little more as Handler. Only way to make a relatively decent "living" is to be full time Driver, Ramp Agent or Manager.

7. Go all in.

8. RND

RND New Member

Thanks for the info.

9. RND

RND New Member

I just noticed it was part-time. They had on the posting that benefits were available after eligibility period which I assumed meant full time. Thanks.

10. RND

RND New Member

Yep it sucks huge. I appreciate the info.

11. RND

RND New Member

Thanks.

12. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

No. Benefits are available after 90 days I think. You'd still be PT unless you bid on a FT position and get it. Same benefits for PT and FT except PT doesn't get STD. I'm talking Express. Don't know about the others.

13. bacha29

bacha29 Well-Known Member

Over at Ground it's pretty much the same thing. A little above minimum wage but 25 hours maximum per week. Some benefits if you work long enough. Unbelievable turnover. On days that someone doesn't show up you do your job and his too. Given that those "small packages" to an ever greater extent are motor freight stolen off LTL's I don't believe that it's a job for anybody pass the age of 30.

14. MassWineGuy

MassWineGuy Active Member

Maybe, if he were applying to UPS.

The op should be fine since the position doesn't involve driving.

15. Route 66

Route 66 Flacid Member

Why?