Package Handler/Driver Helper Question: UPS 2011 contract

Thakid

I am currently a Package handler and attended the Driver Helper Orientation. My question is the rate of pay for the Driver Helper is $15 dollars an hour and my current Package handler rate of pay is $11 an hour. Not sure how the contract works, will I be considered a full time employee at $15 dollars an hour with anything over 8 hours as overtime or will these be considered two diffident jobs? I have heard mixed answers and not sure how to view the contract to get an answer.

Thax

UPSGUY72

I am currently a Package handler and attended the Driver Helper Orientation. My question is the rate of pay for the Driver Helper is $15 dollars an hour and my current Package handler rate of pay is $11 an hour. Not sure how the contract works, will I be considered a full time employee at $15 dollars an hour with anything over 8 hours as overtime or will these be considered two diffident jobs? I have heard mixed answers and not sure how to view the contract to get an answer.

Thax

Two different jobs.

Where do driver helpers make $15 dollars and hour???

barnyard

KTM rider
You will not get OT for working your regular UPS job by working as a helper and you will not get OT as a helper when you combine your regular hours with your helper hours.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
$8.50?!?!? I don't know anyone that would be a helper for $8.50. The only reason the part timers do it is because its almost double their pay. It's around $15 here

AKCoverMan

Here in The Last Frontier it is still $8.50/hr.. my son is signed up and will be on road with me soon. Since he is currently not working it's better than zero. Had no idea it was higher elsewhere.

laffter

You will not get OT for working your regular UPS job by working as a helper and you will not get OT as a helper when you combine your regular hours with your helper hours.

Last peak I had four different pay rates on my paycheck. Preload, preload OT, helper, helper OT. So yes, at least here, you do receive OT as a helper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last peak I had four different pay rates on my paycheck. Preload, preload OT, helper, helper OT. So yes, at least here, you do receive OT as a helper.

I think you misunderstood barnyard. He never said helpers don't get OT--what he said was you can't combine your preload and helper hours and get OT after 8 combined hours. The hours are separate and, yes, you can get OT on both the preload and helper during Peak.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I make 14$ an hour on the preload. I will never sign up for the driver helper job because its 8.50 an hour to do pretty much the same job as the driver, whos probably making 25+.

The end of peak is one of my favorite times here at UPS. It is the time when they choose those who impressed them to stay around. My favs are the driver helpers who come back. Their like "yea, did the drivers job, im so in now". They come in to the preload and leave even before 90 days have pass.

One driver told me about his helper last year, it was a dump and run type. The helper was always running, always. The driver stated to him, "man take it easy, slow down and dont run" he replied "I dont mind". They brought him into the building afterwords, gone in 30 days.

laffter

I think you misunderstood barnyard. He never said helpers don't get OT--what he said was you can't combine your preload and helper hours and get OT after 8 combined hours. The hours are separate and, yes, you can get OT on both the preload and helper during Peak.

I did understand what he meant. I just pulled my pay stub from the last week of 2011. This is the breakdown of the pay rates and how many hours per:

PRELOAD: 25.00
HELPER: 15.00
HELPER OT: 22.90
PRELOAD OT: 7.12

Looking at this now, I am even more confused about how it is calculated. The 25.00 is obvious. 5 hours per day at regular rate x 5 days. 15.00 is 3 hours per day x 5 days. But, why was I getting the helper rate for the first three hours of helping, and then OT after that? I don't know.

In any case, I met my driver every day at ~11am. We were out each night that week 'till about 8:30pm. Minus an hour lunch. If preload hours did not count towards helper OT, then I would have only received about 0.5 hours of OT per day for helping.

Last edited:

Grouchy

Ive been in the preload since mid august of this year. Volume has been up and down at my center so there were times I was sent home. And yes I know, I don't have to agree to it every time I was asked, but because I'm also in school, I always said yes. I had problems with misloads when I started but then it got better and I still get them from time to time but my load quality has improved, I don't really stack out anymore...I get my packages off the belt etc. I did however, had a call in about 2 weeks ago because I was really sick and before that, I had a no call no show because my alarm didnt go off. So basically my question is....will they keep me beyond 90days?...Also, Ive signed up to be driver helper for peak

I like it here a lot, I know the work is very physical and the pay starts low but only gets better over time.

Any advice will be appreciated :)

laffter

Ive been in the preload since mid august of this year. Volume has been up and down at my center so there were times I was sent home. And yes I know, I don't have to agree to it every time I was asked, but because I'm also in school, I always said yes. I had problems with misloads when I started but then it got better and I still get them from time to time but my load quality has improved, I don't really stack out anymore...I get my packages off the belt etc. I did however, had a call in about 2 weeks ago because I was really sick and before that, I had a no call no show because my alarm didnt go off. So basically my question is....will they keep me beyond 90days?...Also, Ive signed up to be driver helper for peak

I like it here a lot, I know the work is very physical and the pay starts low but only gets better over time.

Any advice will be appreciated :)

It takes 30 days to make seniority, not 90.