package handler fedex vs ups?

mosesblah

You probably get this question all the time, and I apologize, but which company is the better place to work? Why one place over the other? Whichever company I end up at could be my future career, and I need advice.

Thank you!

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
If you're young (teens, early 20s) and can live at home rent free for a few more years, go with Brown.
It'll take you upwards of 10 yrs. to land a full time driving job but, you will be much better compensated.
Correct me if I'm wrong Dave.

LTFedExer

If you are looking for a job either company would be fine.

If you are looking for a career get your degree. Dave.

I agree. Don't get into this industry if you have the chance to get your degree. That said, I'd go with FedEx if you want to go work while going to school (paid more up front) and UPS if you're willing to wait to get a drivers position (paid more later on).

SmithBarney

If you only want to be a handler I think FedEx starts higher, but the eventual benefits put UPS on top.

Fedex is no longer a Career Choice, it is a job. and unless you are gunning for management right away
you won't make a livable wage for many years.

UPS would be the choice if you can find the time to wait for Full time. Excellent Benefits, Excellent Pay.

LTFedExer

and unless you are gunning for management right away
you won't make a livable wage for many years.

UPS would be the choice if you can find the time to wait for Full time. Excellent Benefits, Excellent Pay.
II keep hearing the term 'not making a livable wage' when working for FedEx. Please explain how someone can live making <$10.00 as a UPS handler for 6-10 years.
That's debatable.
Even ops. mgrs. don't make all that much.
Esp. considering the hrs.
A lot of couriers in my station make more than the managers in gross pay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

II keep hearing the term 'not making a livable wage' when working for FedEx. Please explain how someone can live making <$10.00 as a UPS handler for 6-10 years.

Part time jobs are not designed for someone to "make a living". Most work here for the benefits and work elsewhere to supplement the low pay.

LTFedExer

Part time jobs are not designed for someone to "make a living". Most work here for the benefits and work elsewhere to supplement the low pay.
I won't debate the end result (IF you choose to stick it out to be a courier) pays off. But, fredly keeps mentioning working at FedEx you'll never make a 'livable wage'. As a handler, you'll make more at FedEx with medical benefits and tuition reimbursement options. That said, unless I couldn't find work elsewhere, I wouldn't work for either one. I'm on the fence about the company, but because I love what I do, I stay there.......for now.

SmithBarney

That's debatable.
Even ops. mgrs. don't make all that much.
Esp. considering the hrs.

I guess it all depends where you fall in the great FedEx Pay Pyramid, OP would be a new hire.

Now closely look at that "lot" and tell me where they all fall in terms of years of service, remember the OP is asking
would be a new hire... how many new hires are making more than your managers?

LTFedExer

Now closely look at that "lot" and tell me where they all fall in terms of years of service, remember the OP is asking
would be a new hire... how many new hires are making more than your managers?
So you're saying a new hire should make more than the managers?

AKX

UPS is by far the better long term choice. Starting wage at UPS as a handler is 8.50 with full benefits after a year. You will also receive a $1 raise within that first year and anywhere from .75 cents to $1 for every year after that based on the current contract. So if you have to wait 8 years to go full time you will be making $16.xx a hour part time by then. You get another job work that and then work UPS in the mornings or evenings until your able to go full time.

LTFedExer

UPS is by far the better long term choice. Starting wage at UPS as a handler is 8.50 with full benefits after a year. You will also receive a $1 raise within that first year and anywhere from .75 cents to $1 for every year after that based on the current contract. So if you have to wait 8 years to go full time you will be making $16.xx a hour part time by then. You get another job work that and then work UPS in the mornings or evenings until your able to go full time.

As opposed to starting at, I believe, around $14.00 with benefits after 90 days (I'm not 100% sure of the length)? Even at the $1.00/year raise, it would take 6 years to catch up.....and that's assuming the FedEx handlers didn't get ANY raise at all. Over the course of the 1st 7 years, a FedEx handler would average $15.32 vs. $11.50 for a UPS handler. Please explain again how a UPS handler would be the better choice.... If you were waiting for a courier position, that's another story.

AKX

Like I said UPS is the better long term choice meaning work the handler job until he/she is able to go full time as a driver. Up front FDX is appealing but over the long haul Brown is the industry leader in wage/benefits.

Billy_Baconhead

UPS is your better choice if your looking to stay with the company after you graduate. Now, if you are just looking for a job throughout college and your certain you don't wish to stay with the company. I would go with fedex express at the ramp.

LTFedExer

Like its been said, it depends on what your plans are.
If you plan on just using the job for benefits and some income while going to school.....go FedEx.
If you're willing to wait it out for a courier position......go UPS.

I wouldn't work for either permanently.

Hoot Owl

You would be a lot better off to work at UPS freight or Fedex freight on the dock... You would make a helluva lot more and I think our part timers start off with benefits........ Just an idea if either is close.