Package Handler job, what do i do next?

Axness

Hi,

So I have a quick question for anyone out there. I recently had an interview at UPS for a Package Handler and at the end of the interview the HR person offered me the job she just had to run the background check. This was on Thursday of last week and I have absolutely nothing in my background. I know I might just be being impatient but the reason I ask is my job also disappeared off the available jobs list. So would I be correct in assuming that means I filled the position and it's just taking awhile to run the background check? Or did they just tell me I had the job and filled it with someone else?

Axness

So it's now Monday and I still haven't heard anything but she definitely told me I had the job and she just had to run the background check but like I said before there's nothing in my background so how long could that take? And my application says Preloader instead of Package Handler. So is it just taking longer or did I get blown off?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So it's now Monday and I still haven't heard anything but she definitely told me I had the job and she just had to run the background check but like I said before there's nothing in my background so how long could that take? And my application says Preloader instead of Package Handler. So is it just taking longer or did I get blown off?

You need to relax--background checks take time.

Axness

haha yeah I know I gotta relax, right now I have literally nothing going on. So I think i'm just anticipating it a bit more than I usually would

Axness

So i'm not going to jump the gun or anything right now. But does anyone know how long these background checks take on average?

Magnus

Don’t get your hopes up, keep trying but don’t hinge on just this otherwise you’ll miss out on other possible opportunities elsewhere. Basically, I’m saying they likely snowed you and are going to give you the silent treatment for weeks, possibly months on end before you get impatient enough to call them up, only for them to tell you “nope, sorry – try again later”. They do these ‘hiring’ things right now on a “just in case” basis to cover their own asses if somebody suddenly flakes out and they need immediate replacements to fill those spots – not because there’s already an actual, vacant job opening. So again, don’t count on it and keep applying anywhere and everywhere else you can in the meantime.

They’ve been playing these same games with me and a few others of their Seasonal veterans for over two years now, if that’s any indication for you.

Also, background checks take a maximum of FOUR DAYS, not a week, not two weeks, but FOUR DAYS or less. If they REALLY needed you in there, you’d have been completely through the hiring process by now and a quarter of the way through your training – at least that’s going by how it goes for Seasonals, logic tells me that same one-week timeline applies to the other job hiring processes as well.

Good luck all the same.

EDIT: By the way, the fact that the job has been pulled off of the careers listings is a bad sign. They left my application up after my interview for this same job until about August, from May and then it disappeared - meaning I didn't get it. Chances are that's going to happen to you as well and that's when you'll find out - they won't call you to tell you UNLESS you've actually got the job. Just FYI.

Magnus

Man, that seems really messed up because I was told that the job was mine
So was I, and you're right... but, that's UPS. It gets even worse, I am told, once you're actually in there and owned by them. At least most of the people down at my center state so every chance they get. I believe it, too.