Package Handler loading tips?

Crawley

It was my third day on the job today and the second day in a row that I've made the drivers pissed off by my crappy loading skills(I know people say drivers are pissy regardless, but it was plain as day compared to the other handlers). I don't understand how I can load the boxes in order tightly when I get them at random. If I get a package that would fit better in another package's spot then I may have to move five of them to get just that one in the proper area, which wastes a lot of time.

Can any handlers give me their strategy for creating a good foundation of packages so I don't waste massive amounts of truck space? Or is it really just your best judgement?

Thank you.

J

jibbs

Nice going. Ask for help, then tell all the drivers on here who might be able to help you "pissy."

He was saying that despite what some people have told them about the average UPS driver's temperament, he still wants to do a good job loading the trucks he's responsible for.

He didn't actually call any of you pissy.

Crawley, it's going to be difficult as a new hire to make your drivers happy during peak. With your 3 day experience, the drivers should be happy if you simply get the package on the right truck and at least slightly near where it's supposed to go in the truck.

Big packages drop to the floor. Even if they're small enough to still fit on the shelf, drop 'em down and write the PAL number on the side of the box you can see for the driver.

Essentially, the main goal I would have for myself if I were in your shoes is to make sure you get the packages on the right truck in a timely fashion. Don't worry about perfect loads because you'll drive yourself crazy trying to please the drivers you load for on one hand and the supervisors you work under on the other hand.

....Now that I think about it, are you loading package cars or trailers? I probably should've asked that before I typed all this up..... ehhhhhh.....

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Follow what jibbs said. Also it doesn't hurt asking your drivers what they prefer and weak areas they are seeing. Some don't look at it this way but you're a team. What you do determines how his day will go. Listen to what they tell you and make adjustments based on their comments. Don't take it all to heart if they are beating down on you a bit. Your load can be the difference between an 8 and 10 hour day. So working to fix that makes it easier for him. Not to mention it shows you are trying to fix it. Some may brush it off, but some may appreciate that you are trying.

guyinthebrownbox

If you are loading package cars

Try your best to keep bulk stops together even if they are in the wrong spot

Ask the driver for any preferred methods. Even if not possible, the thought counts

Inform the drivers of ANYTHING that you think might help them out (bulk stops, next day air irreg loaded in the back, etc....)

Make the air stops accessible.

Try to load so at least the doors can easily open haha

If you are loading trailers....slow is smooth and smooth is fast my friend

Sent from a Glade plug-in

HBGPreloader

This time of year, when you're loading 500-600 packages per car, you're lucky if you can get them all in.
So, your best bet is to, first, focus on getting the packages in the right car.
The next thing is to worry about leaving some room in the front of the car so the driver can get to his (late again) air.
Then worry about getting the 1000 shelf in the right order and the rear door stops where they should be.
From there, the driver and his helper can figure it out :)

jbg77

Dont cover up low #'s with high #'s. Get the right package on the right car and leave the air behind the truck. Dont load the air!!! I load and drive so my perspective of loading has changes. You may have to adjust your load while loading (time permitted)

HardknocksUPSer

1. Put bulk together
2. Anything in 5-8000 doesn't have to be in order
3. Make friends with the driver
4. If RDR and RDL have only a few peices in them use that area for larger 5000-8000 peices.
5. They can't fire you for your speed but they can for misloads
6. NO misloads
7. Always make sure next day air is easily found
8. Try to keep a walkway "somewhat clear"
9. Use every single centimeter possible in order to fit UPS's impossibly demanding number of packages in each car

snl blue

Keep bulk stops together not one or 2 on the shelf and the rest in floor. Get your 1000 and 2000 shelf in order.Utilize your shelf space

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
System doesn't work. The 1000 and 2000 shelf should be flipped flopped. Top shelf is your most abundant shelf square footage wise. The 1000 shelf and the other top shelf should be used only for resies( non bulk route). You can fit the most amount of boxes on top shelf and should only be used for late afternoon residential storage. This is precisely the reason why loaders run out of room on the 2000 shelf and they start putting resies on the floor. When loading shelves during peak, its a subtraction process on the shelves meaning as you run out of shelf space you subtract a big box and replace that box with small boxes and stack that big box outside til end of sort. This way your adding more smaller boxes to the shelf instead of using up all that room on the shelf with a big box that can be stacked down the middle of truck or ran first. A lot of drivers will clear out their middle completely before they even start the route to work safe and be efficient after they clear out all the schiznitt down the middle. Think of it like your loading a trailer or a storage unit, the tighter you make it the better everything will fit in there. So funny how poopy the loaders are trained by the idiot supes with a system that is completely broken lol.

1. Put bulk together
2. Anything in 5-8000 doesn't have to be in order
3. Make friends with the driver
4. If RDR and RDL have only a few peices in them use that area for larger 5000-8000 peices.
5. They can't fire you for your speed but they can for misloads
6. NO misloads
7. Always make sure next day air is easily found
8. Try to keep a walkway "somewhat clear"
9. Use every single centimeter possible in order to fit UPS's impossibly demanding number of packages in each car

I have never heard of anyone getting fired for misloads

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
A great loader Jedi( BB58) can think outside the box and use brains and commonsense to load trucks. It aint rocket science. Open your mind to think outside the box and use some brain power instead of a retarded pal label.

browner89

....Now that I think about it, are you loading package cars or trailers? I probably should've asked that before I typed all this up..... ehhhhhh.....

I've heard of Feeder drivers pulling off with people still inside the trailer and the door open, I don't think they care too much what the load looks like, gotta assume its PC! lol

arice11

i have had misload problems in the past, because the address said "cottonwood rd" not cottonwood mall...sometimes you have to make extra xtra checks, even if it means jumping around the inside of a fully loaded brown-side bulk trailer to find it.
I use to be in charge of whatever happens in the out-side bulk station...it gets really brutal when your hands are frozen and you just look at one label and and toss it.
Happens.

watdaflock?

New
It was my third day on the job today and the second day in a row that I've made the drivers :censored2: off by my crappy loading skills(I know people say drivers are pissy regardless, but it was plain as day compared to the other handlers). I don't understand how I can load the boxes in order tightly when I get them at random. If I get a package that would fit better in another package's spot then I may have to move five of them to get just that one in the proper area, which wastes a lot of time.
I take it you are horrible at Tetris?
100721-tetris.gif