PACKAGE HANDLER QUESTIONS. HELP ME OUT

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1476984311.180585.jpg

I had a new Preloader yesterday. He went on break and walked out the door, thank goodness.

Dr.Brownz

Hey UPSers. Question for you guys. So im thinking about working at ups as a package handler for the 11pm-4am starting at $10.50 as a second job. I already have a salaried full time job and im more or less just trying to earn extra cash. My question for you guys is, what is the pay raise progression like if im starting at $10.50 hr. Second question is how easy is it to actually move up? I kind of have a 'supervisor like' attitude that I carried on from past jobs and im pretty sure I would stand out more than the people who just show up for a paycheck. Any thoughts guys?

"supervisor like" lol

Dude you don't want the illusion of power or the promise of "promotion" that UPS management gives you. It is a salaried job for one thing (but you will work OT and not get paid for it!)

If you go that route prepare to become an empty shell of a puppet (a trained, dancing monkey puppet) that will do whatever (and I mean whatever) your center/district manager says.

Think about it man, can you live with yourself knowing the unethical BS that UPS management does? You may think "I can change things!" and while that is noble it is unrealistically optimistic. UPS has been around over 100 years, you won't change anything, the culture is too deeply entrenched, (besides you are not allowed to make any real decisions at that level of management anyway) You might make a little more money than the drivers do if you become a center manager after a couple of years but will it be worth it when everyone at the hub (people you will see day in and day out for years) doesn't want to be around you?

PT Car Washer

This guy didn't make it through half of his first shift, one of many that head for the door right away. Not Teamster material at all.
Teamster material? Minimum wage job with no benefits for a year and a $500 initiation fee just for the privilege of saying you are a Teamster? You are right he is not Teamster material. Too smart. PT is not the same job it was 20 or 30 years ago and is only getting worse every year.

Indecisi0n

Teamster material? Minimum wage job with no benefits for a year and a $500 initiation fee just for the privilege of saying you are a Teamster? You are right he is not Teamster material. Too smart. PT is not the same job it was 20 or 30 years ago and is only getting worse every year.

No one is keeping them here. Don't like it then leave.

You think I liked my starting pay, no vacation, no benefits? Did I cry about it? No, I stuck it out and now I have lots of vacation, good pay rate and excellent benefits. I am a proud teamster.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Apparently you're one of those that doesn't believe this to be a door to an opportunity.

PT Car Washer

No one is keeping them here. Don't like it then leave.

You think I liked my starting pay, no vacation, no benefits? Did I cry about it? No, I stuck it out and now I have lots of vacation, good pay rate and excellent benefits. I am a proud teamster.
And they are leaving. A proud teamster would never have voted to allow a Teamster job to become a minimum wage no benefit job. Of course I know it does not really matter how we vote.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was equally surprised at his "Teamster material" comment.