Package Handler Questions

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hey rawrzxor, thank you for your hard work this season! Your career here will be a worthy one you will enjoy and be proud to be a part of. If you plan on being a driver ASAP be sure to keep working hard and be the best worker so your management team will notice. If you ever need help feel free to PM me, I will guide you to the best of my ability.
Don't give the kid false hope. Working hard has little to do with being a drivers. There is no driving ASAP. You wait and wait and wait some more most of the time. It's all about seniority.

Rawrzxor

Awesome. Thanks everyone for some very informative answers. :D

Thank you, ChickenLegs. I did my best.

I took a tour a few hours ago, and am on my way to oreintation next week. :D

I'm on the trailers, heh. Bottom of the food chain yaaaaaaaay! Lol.

A supervisor said that it's a 4 year wait at the HUB I'm working at...:/ I thought I might be able to pop in in 1 or 2 years. Especially since the contract is up next year, and a lot of people will possibly(?) be retiring? I can still do 4 years, though. I'll just chill and go to school a little.

Thanks again guys. I'm really excited to be part of the UPS crew. ^_^

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
A supervisor said that it's a 4 year wait at the HUB I'm working at...:/ I thought I might be able to pop in in 1 or 2 years. Especially since the contract is up next year, and a lot of people will possibly(?) be retiring? I can still do 4 years, though.

1) Contract might not have anything to do with people retiring. In my area our pension wasn't affected by the new contract, but some are on a national pension where the payouts went up with the new contract.
2) Even if drivers retire it might not mean anything. My center has had 3 drivers retire in the last year and they haven't replaced a single one of them...
3) When I went to driving school I was the lowest seniority guy with 3 1/2 years worked inside. There were guys there that had put in 9 years inside to get a chance to drive.
4) Inside supervisors have no clue about how long it takes to go drive.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Awesome. Thanks everyone for some very informative answers. :D

Thank you, ChickenLegs. I did my best.

I took a tour a few hours ago, and am on my way to oreintation next week. :D

I'm on the trailers, heh. Bottom of the food chain yaaaaaaaay! Lol.

A supervisor said that it's a 4 year wait at the HUB I'm working at...:/ I thought I might be able to pop in in 1 or 2 years. Especially since the contract is up next year, and a lot of people will possibly(?) be retiring? I can still do 4 years, though. I'll just chill and go to school a little.

Thanks again guys. I'm really excited to be part of the UPS crew. ^_^

4 yrs? Could be 8-10. Make it your back up plan if I were you. Go to school and only work really hard at SCHOOL.

Rawrzxor

Well that kinda blows. Ehhhhhh. If it's really going to be almost a decade I might really have to make school option A. :/

But at least pters get tuition assistance! :D

We...we do get tuition assistance, right?

Rawrzxor

Though, one of the drivers I worked with had only been with UPS for two years. One year in the hub and one year as a PT driver. Then he said he knew another chick who was only in the hub for 7 months before she started driving.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well that kinda blows. Ehhhhhh. If it's really going to be almost a decade I might really have to make school option A. :/

But at least pters get tuition assistance! :D

We...we do get tuition assistance, right?

1. Most buildings don't offer it.

2. You'll likely have to be working on the preload if you are in a building that has it.

Daalcaar

It sucks how management gives false impressions to new hires. When I first got hired the HR rep told me that I could become a driver in 4 years. I had already worked as a driver helper previous to being hired, so I already knew how the water ran, and just laughed silently. At my hub it currently takes 10.5 years to go driving. Lol. Not even close to the 4 year wait the rep tried lying to me about. Hahaha.

Re-Raise

Though, one of the drivers I worked with had only been with UPS for two years. One year in the hub and one year as a PT driver. Then he said he knew another chick who was only in the hub for 7 months before she started driving.
You are probably talking about seasonal drivers that you helped at peak.

They are not full-time seniority drivers. We put every warm body that could drive on the street this Christmas with helpers.

They are back to their part-time positions now

FilingBluesFL

I've been around some friends who were smoking weed, recently; and I was worried it might make me test positive. I don't want anything ruining my chances of getting a driver position, so that's why I asked.

Ever think of hanging out with a few dudes that like to share roofies?

Kirtus

Does UPS drug test part-time handlers upon initial hiring?

Are you bodily searched after you leave work? (Like TSA level violation, or like a pat down or something?)

-No. UPS doesn't give drug test unless you give them cause to.

-Usually the mall cops are through about their searches after a in-hub theft.

J

jibbs

lol @ "I was around some friends that were smoking weed this weekend, but I totally didn't hit it myself I was just around it and think I'm dirty"

^^Most oft-repeated lie in the history of substance abuse.^^

[EDIT: Actually, maybe it's "I only had a half a beer, officer..." Either way, they both rank pretty friend*in' high up there.]

Rainman

Its all good.
I know a driver who got canned for coming to work smelling of alcohol. He had been driving for 20 years, not a problem child either. They tested for alcohol and drugs and he showed positive for both. Never got to comeback, but I hear he's a lot happier now that he's gone.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I know a driver who got canned for coming to work smelling of alcohol. He had been driving for 20 years, not a problem child either. They tested for alcohol and drugs and he showed positive for both. Never got to comeback, but I hear he's a lot happier now that he's gone.
How exactly did they "test" him for alcohol? It's not like it shows up in a urine sample. Unless he was still drunk and they breathalyzed him.