Package Handler Questions

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know a driver who got canned for coming to work smelling of alcohol. He had been driving for 20 years, not a problem child either. They tested for alcohol and drugs and he showed positive for both. Never got to comeback, but I hear he's a lot happier now that he's gone.
How exactly did they "test" him for alcohol? It's not like it shows up in a urine sample. Unless he was still drunk and they breathalyzed him.

What they normally do if they suspect an hourly may be impaired is the center manager or another member of management will "accompany" (which means they will physically bring the employee) the hourly to the local ER or other medical clinic where the appropriate tests will be conducted and with any discipline based on the results of said tests.

PT Car Washer

Same thing happened to a PE mechanic at my building. Suspected he was under the influence of alcohol and had him tested. Never came back and never replaced him. Heard they did offer him the chance to rehabilitate himself but he declined.

J

jibbs

How exactly did they "test" him for alcohol? It's not like it shows up in a urine sample.

It will if your body's still metabolizing alcohol.

I've seen people show positive on UAs for alcohol. I don't want to go into the specifics of why and how I know those results, but yeah... definitely possible, the person in question just has to be a :censored2:.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It will if your body's still metabolizing alcohol.

I've seen people show positive on UAs for alcohol. I don't want to go into the specifics of why and how I know those results, but yeah... definitely possible, the person in question just has to be a :censored2:.
or drunk ... not that there is much difference.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yeah... going to work drunk falls under the ":censored2:" umbrella for me, too.

I once worked with a guy who came to work the day after the Super Bowl, and literally fell out of his personal vehicle, still drunk from the night before. Needless to say, he was immediately sent for an alcohol test. 20 years down the drain. Buh-bye.

J

jibbs

I once worked with a guy who came to work the day after the Super Bowl, and literally fell out of his personal vehicle, still drunk from the night before. Needless to say, he was immediately sent for an alcohol test. 20 years down the drain. Buh-bye.

The flip side of that is a person that wakes up feeling sober, completely unaware that alcohol is still coursing through their system. Normally, the person sobers up in the hour or two before work (regular, 9-to-5 citizens, I mean) and all's well that ends well, but if that person happens to get pulled over and breathalyzed then there's a good chance they'll go down for a DUI. It's still deserved, but I tend to feel sympathy for people in the kind of situation I just described.

mxt87

Can anyone explain the main differences between the shifts for package handler? like do all the shifts do pretty much the same things? or do different shifts have different things they focus on? (ex: does overnight load outgoing trucks while sunrise unloads incoming trucks?)

I've been thinking of applying for a while and am trying to figure out which shift works best for me (most likely would be either 12-5 or 5-10 shift) and am just trying to get a handle on what the differences between the shifts are.

I've heard many of the horror stories but I'm not afraid of doing some work and after being in retail for pretty much my entire working career I'm definitely ready for a change (I'm with wallyworld now ugh)

Thanks for any input

HBGPreloader

I'm coming up on 7 years in preload and, although many have tried, not one of my coworkers during this time has become a permanent, full time package car driver.
A few, with prior experience, have become tractor-trailer drivers though.