Package Handler sore/cramping fingers

unnormaldude68

I'm having the same exact problem for the past couple months now. Hoping it will go away soon. At least they only hurt after being stationary for a while and not while on the job...

llamainmypocket

Never had sore fingers but sore hands. My fingers at rest would curl closed and the tendons were super tight. I bought some hand stretchers called yogahands. I'd wear them while watching tv. 20 minutes on each hand. I rarely use them anymore. I also have never had any sort of cramp at ups. I take creatine and stay well hydrated. If creatine forces you to hold water weight in your muscles and cramps are caused by dehydrated muscles then i can see no reason to have cramps while taking creatine.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I completely disagree with a few comments here. Honestly, if you have strong hands, wrists and forearms, you won't need to use larger muscle groups or joints such as legs, knees, back, and shoulders. It'll save quite a bit of wear and tear in the long run.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
I am not here to complain or cry about how my fingers hurt but is this normal for newer Loader/unloaders? I am good all day through work but the next morning when I wake up, my fingers hurt. Its hard to even make a tight fist, its usually ok by the time I get back to work. I just run them under some warm water. Does this happen to most people, if so do you eventually adjust and not have the problem any more?

Same thing started to happen to me 2 years ago. Waking up in the morning with my hand curled up and in pain. Took about 30 minutes of moving them to loosen them up. During the day I would have pain when twisting doorknobs or gripping the steering wheel. Found out 3 weeks agp from my trip to Mayo Clinic that I have Osteoarthritis at an early age (50). Meaning that you need to go to a doctor for an answer.

Legitimyze

Same thing started to happen to me 2 years ago. Waking up in the morning with my hand curled up and in pain. Took about 30 minutes of moving them to loosen them up. During the day I would have pain when twisting doorknobs or gripping the steering wheel. Found out 3 weeks agp from my trip to Mayo Clinic that I have Osteoarthritis at an early age (50). Meaning that you need to go to a doctor for an answer.

I am only 23 so I really hope thats not the case. I only have the pain for about 20 miniutes or so in the morning (probably from my fingers not being used while sleeping). Through the day I dont feel any pain. And gotta wait for my 1 year for insurance coverage! haha.

Are you doing your job by the methods? If so, you wouldn't get hurt.
What do you mean "by the methods" I do everything the way I was taught. I am not getting hurt, I just have sore fingers in the morning. And its not from getting the crushed/slammed or anything like that.

UpsAngel

its normal bruh its like your woking out your haands their healing over night healing muscles n tendons doesn't feel pretty. If you ever done weight training you would i understand that soreness in most cases is your body recovering. But good luck with that at UPS.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
I am only 23 so I really hope thats not the case. I only have the pain for about 20 miniutes or so in the morning (probably from my fingers not being used while sleeping). Through the day I dont feel any pain. And gotta wait for my 1 year for insurance coverage! haha.

I understand about waiting on insurance to kick in. I have found out that there are many differant types of Arthritis that can effect anybody at any age. Bear through your pain until you are covered by insurance, then see a Doctor.

Legitimyze

This was from a while back but just to update everyone that had similar problems. I dont experience any finger pains or cramps anymore, realized it went away after roughly 6-8 months of working here. So I guess my hands just had to adjust to it.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
This was from a while back but just to update everyone that had similar problems. I dont experience any finger pains or cramps anymore, realized it went away after roughly 6-8 months of working here. So I guess my hands just had to adjust to it.

Sorry for this but

Wizzy

What do you mean "by the methods" I do everything the way I was taught. I am not getting hurt, I just have sore fingers in the morning. And its not from getting the crushed/slammed or anything like that.

After a few days your fingers hurt and maybe your arms but it will go away for awhile and then at 50 your whole body will be sore and stiff but it's ok because your sup will hold the door open for you every morning as he ask you what happened yesterday cause you were an hour over! As for hydration, always watch your urine, clear=good, light yellow have some water, dark yellow=take break and drink a bottle of water. If it burns get some penicillin!

Wayne05

It's totally normal, and a chief complaint of almost all new unloaders. At about 90 days, the pain subsides, and wont return. You are overusing muscles you probably havent used in that manner before. Coated gloves definitely help as the coating provides better grip, and you wont have to use as much pressure to keep the box secure in your hands.

The only real tip I can give is to get some gloves, and learn to "palm" the lighter boxes... instead of grabbing with your fingers, put a palm on each side, with your fingers outstretched, and let your arms and gloves do the work instead of your fingers. This method tops out at about 30 - 40 lbs, depending on your strength, and the condition of the coating on your gloves.

Use the corners with heavier boxes! Test the package, if you think it's too heavy don't lift it, tip it onto rollers or off... Or slide it.