Package Handler sore/cramping fingers

mattyk624

Loaders in my center get the finger-strap scanners that fit over the knuckles, which I've found leads inevitably to banged up knuckles at some point. The bulkiness of the scanner itself and the added flimsiness of forever-loosening finger straps is a nuisance, but one you can't rly get around. The bruises left behind are the only real pain/soreness in my fingers I've experienced so far, and I'm a new loader 6 wks in. Could just be something in your technique too though, hard to say for sure.

Cat in the hat

I stick my hands in buckets of rice. It helps w dexterity . Then I bathe them in organic avacdo oil. Well listening to the soft sounds of the waves of the Pacific . And my final step to is I cut up cage free organic chicken breast and lay them across my knuckles. Then I'm good for the next day.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I stick my hands in buckets of rice. It helps w dexterity . Then I bathe them in organic avacdo oil. Well listening to the soft sounds of the waves of the Pacific . And my final step to is I cut up cage free organic chicken breast and lay them across my knuckles. Then I'm good for the next day.
:rofl:

Boxface

I am not here to complain or cry about how my fingers hurt but is this normal for newer Loader/unloaders? I am good all day through work but the next morning when I wake up, my fingers hurt. Its hard to even make a tight fist, its usually ok by the time I get back to work. I just run them under some warm water. Does this happen to most people, if so do you eventually adjust and not have the problem any more?

Boxface

I am a new handler. I also get the same soreness of my hands. I have a bad habit of grabbing packages in tight places by my finger tips that are heavy. To help I use a electric foot massager on my hands. This is a life saver. My wife recently purchased one for like $12. It hurts while using but then feels so good. Then I also use a foot roller for plantar fascitis. It is a wooden free weight lookin thing with ribs in it. I alternate between the two for about 10-20 minutes and likewise for my feet. Immediately I can make a tight fist. Your fascia is getting tightened up and shocked.

trailer loader

Trailer Loader
as a recent hire, just about a month in, im a loader, and my fingers have been sore after the first couple of weeks, as have other muscles from bending, lifting and grabbing, now after a month, my body is getting use to everything, give it some time, and drink plenty of water during your shift, your body and muscles will get use to the work, water water and more water, when you are working trailers in the heat, you will be sweating out like crazy, you must keep yourself hydrated to not only stay healthy but to also make sure your muscles dont start cramping up, myself personally, i go thru at least a gallon or two during a shift. one of the loaders that got hired with me, passed out because he didnt keep himself hydrated,

Arch

I had the sore fingers when I started too. When I get up in the mourning it feels numb like I had no fingers anymore. I dont have the strength to close them all the way to make a fist. One of the weirdest feeling however it goes away with some time.

teeitupmo

I am an unloader. I am very productive at the job. So I know from experience, the hand cramping is somewhat normal. It should go away within a few days. The key is drink lots of water, use rubber palm coated gloves, and do not death grip the boxes.

Your whole body is shocked... think about it... us unloaders handle 3000-5000 packages every morning. That is not normal.

Hang in there!

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup
I am not here to complain or cry about how my fingers hurt but is this normal for newer Loader/unloaders? I am good all day through work but the next morning when I wake up, my fingers hurt. Its hard to even make a tight fist, its usually ok by the time I get back to work. I just run them under some warm water. Does this happen to most people, if so do you eventually adjust and not have the problem any more?

It's normal, unless you have arthritis, then i'd be careful how you grip packages and what your long term goals are with UPS because that will only get worse over time.
Drink plenty of water, gatoraid if you drink that, and I don't care how busy you are atm, if you need to refill your water bottle don't hesitate. Dehydration SUCKS, and you could get severely injured if you pass out from it.
Gloves help with grip. your center should provide you with them and if not, you can get a decent pair almost anywhere for around $5.

cosis

The skin on my index and middle fingers would break open like a large paper cut. It will heel when you take a week vacation.