Package Handler the same for Ups & FedEx

So I ended up quitting my job at ups as a package handler due to it just being to far out but I just applied to FedEx as a package handler since it just a couple of miles from my house. I could ride my bike there if my car is not working it's that close. Is being a package handler the same at both places? Also I'm not here for a career just to make some extra cash as a 2nd job.

It will be fine

I've never worked at UPS, but I started as a package handler at Ground. I imagine it's very similar depending on the sort you work. Move and scan boxes. If you are good, you can get as many hours as your manager can find for you and still classify you as part time. If you don't care, you can do a crappy job, they will get you off the clock as quickly as they can but it's pretty hard to get fired. If you show up everyday you'll keep your job.
I did it all through college, it's fine. Get paid to work out, no stress. I think they still have an extra $1/hr tuition reimbursement which is nice.

dezguy

... So, you like being close to work so you can ride you bike in case your car breaks down. Get used to riding that bike because it's probably all you'll ever be able to afford, working for FedEx.

Should have stuck it out at UPS. Get on as a driver and you would have been making over $30/hour.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So I ended up quitting my job at ups as a package handler due to it just being to far out but I just applied to FedEx as a package handler since it just a couple of miles from my house. I could ride my bike there if my car is not working it's that close. Is being a package handler the same at both places? Also I'm not here for a career just to make some extra cash as a 2nd job.
I think I would of considered moving closer to ups.

How far was too far?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
like he said though - it's just a second job to pick up some extra cash - not making a career out of it (smart move there, as we all know the industry sucks - regardless of the coin being made)

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
... So, you like being close to work so you can ride you bike in case your car breaks down. Get used to riding that bike because it's probably all you'll ever be able to afford, working for FedEx.

I work at UPS part time and I have two cars, not to mention they are registered and insured in my name in NYC. You just have to know how to budget your money.

Should have stuck it out at UPS. Get on as a driver and you would have been making over $30/hour.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I work at UPS part time and I have two cars, not to mention they are registered and insured in my name in NYC. You just have to know how to budget your money

dezguy

I work at UPS part time and I have two cars, not to mention they are registered and insured in my name in NYC. You just have to know how to budget your money
I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. UPS pays their handlers a decent wage, so long as they stay long enough. FedEx, not so much. This guy will never see top rate at FedEx.

CJinx

The raises for package handlers on Ground are frequent; one, three, six months and one year during the first year and one per the next three years after that. It's a foot in the door job though... be on the lookout for opportunities to move into other positions. Trainer, QA, or preload management (if you really hate yourself, lol) are great avenues of advancement from the PH position.

The Ups I used to work at was a hour away 2 hours in Houston traffic while Fedex is just 10mins. I'm just doing it to get a workout and some spending change. Everything else like bills comes from my first job.

PT Car Washer

The Ups I used to work at was a hour away 2 hours in Houston traffic while Fedex is just 10mins. I'm just doing it to get a workout and some spending change. Everything else like bills comes from my first job.
If all you are working for is some spending money I think you made a wise choice. Sure you can make $20 or $30 an hour working PT at UPS but it will take decades. Only real advantage would be the benefits working at UPS would provide. Free health insurance, paid Holidays, paid 2 weeks vacation after the first year, Union job protection, and a PT pension after 25 years that would make a lot of full time working people jealous.