Package Handler the same for Ups & FedEx

It will be fine

The tour was good its a lot cleaner then the Ups I worked at. Im just waiting for them to call me in for an interview now. Any idea how long that takes?
Depends on the sort. Turnover is highest on the preload. I would call them after a week and check in if you haven't heard back yet. It shows you're actually interested in the job and are more willing to stick around for a bit.

griff549

I've never worked at UPS, but I started as a package handler at Ground. I imagine it's very similar depending on the sort you work. Move and scan boxes. If you are good, you can get as many hours as your manager can find for you and still classify you as part time. If you don't care, you can do a crappy job, they will get you off the clock as quickly as they can but it's pretty hard to get fired. If you show up everyday you'll keep your job.
I did it all through college, it's fine. Get paid to work out, no stress. I think they still have an extra $1/hr tuition reimbursement which is nice.
At ups its all about seniority when it comes to hours. Unless its peak you don't see anything close to over time but while the sorts going wether your the best guy there or a retarded donkey could do a better job you work the sort until your jobs done or the drivers have to leave

REBinc

I've never worked at UPS, but I started as a package handler at Ground. I imagine it's very similar depending on the sort you work. Move and scan boxes. If you are good, you can get as many hours as your manager can find for you and still classify you as part time. If you don't care, you can do a crappy job, they will get you off the clock as quickly as they can but it's pretty hard to get fired. If you show up everyday you'll keep your job.
I did it all through college, it's fine. Get paid to work out, no stress. I think they still have an extra $1/hr tuition reimbursement which is nice.
I did it for 4 semesters in college mainly for the tuition reimbursement and consistent hours. I did the 7-11 shift 3 of the semesters and 3-7 the last semester. I was able to use tuition reimbursement twice which was a nice chunk of change.

It's not based on hours for tuition reimbursement, you're eligible for $1500/yr as a package handler after 3 months. If you know what you're getting into the job isn't bad, a lot of people leave quick if they were looking for an easy job.

UPDATE: So its been a week since the interview and I call FedEx to see about the drug testing they told me that they are working down the list and that in all honesty. I might not get a call until the end of May or early June. So I think Im just going to look someplace else.

hypo hanna

UPDATE: So its been a week since the interview and I call FedEx to see about the drug testing they told me that they are working down the list and that in all honesty. I might not get a call until the end of May or early June. So I think Im just going to look someplace else.
They expect you to wait a month while they screw around with a drug test for a handler job?

CJinx

They expect you to wait a month while they screw around with a drug test for a handler job?
They keep potential new hires "in queue" and call them in as turnover requires. I can't help but boggle at drug screening package handlers, though. None of the stations I've been to do that... for obvious reasons. :laugh:

Update: They called me last Friday to do the drug screen that day so I could start training on Monday. Its now Thursday. I call and they tell me that they are going down the list. I never went though this with UPS I had the tour and interview the same day and got the job 3 days later.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Update: They called me last Friday to do the drug screen that day so I could start training on Monday. Its now Thursday. I call and they tell me that they are going down the list. I never went though this with UPS I had the tour and interview the same day and got the job 3 days later.

Nothing moves quickly at FedEx except the packages, and that's questionable anymore.

PurpleGirl

I just got hired by Fedex Ground. Did the Watch a Sort thing on a Thursday, got called later that same day to come back in on Friday for an Interview/Background Check. Background check came in the following Wednesday, and I started the Tuesday after that. So a total of 2 weeks start to finish, with no drug screen. Guess the drug screen is based on which hub you work at. I've had orientation and my first class day.... first day on the dock is tomorrow. I'm on the Sunrise.

Update: got the job and my first check just haven't had the the time to update. 2nd day there and one of the other new workers twisted his ankle going through the metal detector smh.