Package Handler to Package Delivery Driver?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hi how long does it take to go from a package handler to a package delivery driver on average?

Also is a package delivery driver a fun job?

Thanks

Around 3 months. Some buildings you can go right to package in one week!

Package delivery driver is fun.!

You are on your own 100% of the time, only around 100 packages to deliver, you can take breaks whenever...the best part is YOU decide whether or not you want an 8 hour day or if you want to work overtime!

The job has amazing flexibility, plus for the most part management is very kind and forgiving. As long as you make the customers happy, there is absolutely nothing else to worry about.

brownrodster

Is there a reason why someone would not get passed the first interview for a package handler position?

I'm am guessing that given a pool of applicants willing to show up to the first day of work the HR person will choose those applicants he/she feels won't quit immediately.

If you go in with gusto that you want this job and you already know how hard it is then you will most surely be one of those that is selected.

things2auction

At our center the wait time is about 4 years. Most the people working as package handlers went in wanting to drive, and I would say easily 90% of them have changed their mind. Once you go in there and start seeing the daily hell the drivers go through it may change your mind. However, the pay is hard to beat, especially since the job requires no prior experience.

Getting a job as a package handler can be really easy or hard depending on the area you are applying. Turnover at our center has been very very low since the economy took a turn for the worst and they are being very selective on who they hire. When you go in for an interview be sure to wear sturdy leather shoes, and somewhat nice cloths (I wore slacks and a button up shirt). In the interview be sure to emphasize that you like hard work and dont have issues with attendance or tardiness.

Good luck :)

fethrs

I hear UPS has tours each week and quite a few people go to them and sign up for the first interview. Is there a reason why someone would not get passed the first interview for a package handler position? Is the interview hard or the HR person who conducts the interview just doesn't want to hire the guy?
Sometimes they just don't like the guy for some reason or another and just wont hire him, even if he's dressed nice and says all the right things. HR doesn't need to give a reason for it either.