Package Handler

ch3cky0selff00

So I took the tour for being a Package Handler.. listened to what they had to say and stayed to the end of it. No big deal. I'm down for physical work.. but now i'm sort of paranoid.

Do you get to choose whether you want to be an unloader or a loader? From my understanding, being an unloader seems to be the easiest.. but probably the more physically demanding of the two.

With the loader, what exactly is meant by "building walls." I mean, I understand the premise.. but what does it entail? Is there a specific order (other than heavy boxes on bottom.. lighter on top) that they need to be in?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Load and unload.

Depending on the load, it can be more difficult or easier than unloading. A heavy load can be very difficult, far more difficult than unloading. Also depending on the load and your particular building, you need to know the sort/zips. This knowledge takes a while to get going.

When you load, yes heavier on bottom lighter/bags on top. There is a method to the madness. You are instructed to build two walls -one in front of other - and intertwine the two, almost like laying bricks. This ensures the walls, when unloaded, have a less chance of "shifting" while en route, and less chance of packages falling down onto the person unloading.

Go for unloader to start, in my opinion. It requires basically no thought, reading labels, etc and you can go your own pace.

asaetern

Load and unload.

Depending on the load, it can be more difficult or easier than unloading. A heavy load can be very difficult, far more difficult than unloading. Also depending on the load and your particular building, you need to know the sort/zips. This knowledge takes a while to get going.

When you load, yes heavier on bottom lighter/bags on top. There is a method to the madness. You are instructed to build two walls -one in front of other - and intertwine the two, almost like laying bricks. This ensures the walls, when unloaded, have a less chance of "shifting" while en route, and less chance of packages falling down onto the person unloading.

Go for unloader to start, in my opinion. It requires basically no thought, reading labels, etc and you can go your own pace.

Totally the opposite at my hub, unloaders are yelled at to work faster and loaders get yelled at to scan faster, but nobody does anyways. I started as a loader and learning the zips at first might seem hard, but after seeing the same package over and over you'll get the hang of it. All my friends that started as unloaders quit, and to think I wanted to go unload when I started as well.

UPSGUY72

So I took the tour for being a Package Handler.. listened to what they had to say and stayed to the end of it. No big deal. I'm down for physical work.. but now i'm sort of paranoid.

Do you get to choose whether you want to be an unloader or a loader? From my understanding, being an unloader seems to be the easiest.. but probably the more physically demanding of the two.

With the loader, what exactly is meant by "building walls." I mean, I understand the premise.. but what does it entail? Is there a specific order (other than heavy boxes on bottom.. lighter on top) that they need to be in?

They will put you where they need you? That's really all you need to know they will teach you everything you need to know when you start working. Did they hire you or just give you the tour and tell you they will call you? If they call you good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Loufan

I never got a choice, just about everyone I know didn't either. I'm glad I didn't. I probably would've chose unload, which I do believe is easier to an extent. You don't have to think as much and time seems to go by faster. You can have fun loading (or at least i do) see who can get the most packages in a truck, build the best walls etc..

Building walls: Basically you're making a 18inch thick wall of boxes, left and right and all the way to the ceiling. Obviously it would be best to have the heaviest boxes at the bottom, but sometimes it doesn't always work like that. When you start getting up higher start loading back to front so you don't have a damn wall fall and make sure you have the wall really tight left to right, that'll really help with preventing walls falling. If you get a heavy box that you can't lift up, just put it on the floor and start a new wall with it when you're done with the previous wall. Hope that helps, I've been a loader for 2 1/2 years, but I have done unload, secondary, and sort and handful of times.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just my opinion after going on 9 years, 3 buildings, 8 centers of fun. :) Load is usually harder unless you get an easier load that is relatively slow. Otherwise unload is by far better.

Some jobs pay an extra dollar an hour, I dont think unloaders get paid that, but I know preloaders to, I am not sure what other positions get an extra dollar

SoyFish

& your pretty much stuck doing whatever they tell you to...you can't really choose I don't think.

I'm going to say...loading is more physically demanding...but that's just my view. Unloading definitely has to be the easiest.

"building walls" = putting all the packages into your trailer. Just get everything in...that's all that matters.

IzzyTheNose

There's a lot to take in after your training period, but don't let it overwhelm you. I, too, was a bit paranoid my first couple weeks. But the best thing you can do for yourself is to ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. And don't beat yourself up when you do something stupid or make a mistake. Everyone in the HUB, whether they've been there for one year or ten, have made those same mistakes.

You more than likely will not have the luxury of choosing where you work. That's generally decided for you. Basically, they'll put you wherever they need you, and if you're a new hire, you can expect to be moved arbitrarily.

Unloading is CAKE, in my opinion. The downside? You generally work less hours (2.5/3.5, usually), and time goes by incredibly slow. As a loader, you're expected to shoulder far more responsibility (HAZMAT, no miss-sorts, meeting your packages-per-hour etc.). The upside? You'll likely work longer hours.

Some of the members here have given you decent enough examples. I'll only add that you should ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. Never assume that you'll be trained properly following your training period, because that's not how it always works. But if you ask your trainer if she/he can put you in a feeder with a GOOD loader to demonstrate how to load, they'll be happy to do so, and you'll be the better for it.

Other than than, bring water, stretch for a few minutes before start time, and implement the 8 Keys of Lifting into your daily routine. It may seem like a load of crap, but it prevents injuries, and makes work a lot easier.

Good luck!

UPSF Peeon

breakables on bottom 70+ lbs on top make sure the boxes are ripped open and it all tumbles down in transit

thats the UPSF way of life