Package Jalopy

One of my favorite parts about peak is getting to drive some of our "classic" models. Today I had a real beast of a truck. Nearly half a million miles on it, stick shift, loud as :censored2: It actually had power steering which was a surprise. I feel bad for the mechanic that has to deal with my DVIR because I wrote a novel. High beams didn't work, wiper fluid didn't work, heat barely worked, no chain on the back door, mirrors too loose...and worst of all, the exhaust could be smelled all day long in the cab and especially the back of the truck. I feel like I just smoked a carton of cigarettes. Probably lost a year off my life. Despite all that, it actually ran pretty good and shifted smoothly. And sure, I noticed most of this stuff during pre-trip, but today is basically the craziest day of the year so its not like i can easily just swap out trucks....as if there are even other trucks available.

Anyways, I get a kick out of some of our more vintage package cars. What's the best or quirkiest one you've ever driven?

PT Car Washer

Don't you love drivers who attitude is "even if I write it up the shop will just red tag it or switch the car out". This is the best time of the year to get things fixed. Come January we will have a whole row of red tags and the centers are forced to cut routes because "we don't have enough package cars".

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One of my favorite parts about peak is getting to drive some of our "classic" models. Today I had a real beast of a truck. Nearly half a million miles on it, stick shift, loud as :censored2: It actually had power steering which was a surprise. I feel bad for the mechanic that has to deal with my DVIR because I wrote a novel. High beams didn't work, wiper fluid didn't work, heat barely worked, no chain on the back door, mirrors too loose...and worst of all, the exhaust could be smelled all day long in the cab and especially the back of the truck. I feel like I just smoked a carton of cigarettes. Probably lost a year off my life. Despite all that, it actually ran pretty good and shifted smoothly. And sure, I noticed most of this stuff during pre-trip, but today is basically the craziest day of the year so its not like i can easily just swap out trucks....as if there are even other trucks available.

Anyways, I get a kick out of some of our more vintage package cars. What's the best or quirkiest one you've ever driven?
Half a million miles would be just getting broken in at my center.

rod

Retired 22 years
I once had a somewhere between a 1947 and about 1952 Dodge P-400. It had a square front and a rounded off back. It had to of had 2,000,000 miles on it. The dash had a dozen toggle switches on it and I don't think any of them were hooked up to anything.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I once drove a late 50's Ford P-400. No idea of actual miles. It didn't even have reverse lights, you had to try and keep your foot on the brake pedal to make a light when you backed up. 4 on the floor with a compound low 1st gear, Ford 300 straight-six engine, no power steering, manual choke, and 4-wheel drum brakes that locked up with the slightest bit of pressure. The shelves and bulkhead door were made of plywood. It was a wretched piece of crap to drive and there was great joy on the day they finally painted that POS white and towed it off to the scrap yard to get crushed.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Had a sweet U-Haul today no telematics out in the country all day
Good radio and heat load the cab up
Deliver and repeat
57 stops 260 miles
I had a uhaul as well, except for the radio it sucked, spent an hour re-orging the truck as preload does not seem to understand that there is no bulkhead door and proceeded to load the truck with the 1000's in the front which was businesses and 8000's on the tail which was residential lol

oldngray

nowhere special
Those 400's were like clown cars. There were only a few left when I started and they were only used in emergencies. Every one was "unique" in different ways with wiring jury rigged in different ways and different transmissions in almost all of them. And don't forget to duck when walking into one of them.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
And what is that smell in those old things? Cross between grease, burning motor oil, and homeless person!

9.5er

Did we some how drive the same car yesterday? I must have had it's twin. I ain't gonna lie. That tall step has my knee hurting this morning and the crappy seat has my back hurting. I sure hope somehow I get put on a different route or truck today. I don't know if I can handle that POS all peak.

You've Got Mail

My car on Friday had a steering wheel 20 degrees off center, and it shook side-to-side like a SOB at 35-40 mph. Felt like the wheel was going to come flying off.

Last edited:

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I have the oldest truck in our building. Yes it's an 03 . It is heavier than the newer ones. Pretty good in snow. But, it can turn. Within a 30 ft radius. If I back out in the country 30 times a day. Its alot

oldupsman

I had a car like that once. Breathing exhaust all day. Inspection sticker half torn off. I did the right thing. I called in the middle of the day and told them
the problem and I would finish the day. But if this car was in the lineup tomorrow the first thing I would do was drive it right to
my local township police station. Never saw the car again.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I once had a 700 I called "the Italian Sports Car." It was always in the shop.
I drove an old 800 type truck for a short time, I think it was a '70 GMC. Well I wasn't particularly good with working the choke, took some adjusting to. One PM I brought this awful car into the building and the damn thing backfired right in front of the DM and a host of other suits. I was talked to about it too, iirc. :) Man could that thing throw some smoke.

oldngray

nowhere special
Those old trucks with the manual chokes most people would forget and leave the choke on until after they got to their first stop.