Package Pickup

j4ck4zz

With GPS in the new diads, I think it might be a good idea to actually be at the pickup stop when you stop complete it. That "dishonesty" language in the contract can mean anything UPS wants it to mean.

sendagain

It will work great as long as no problems arise. It will require you to frequently look for messages when you need to be focused on other work, thus slowing you down. Then you offer them the option of changing your schedule in order to encourage them to use this service, which is supposed to be helping you. On a heavy route, this idea could backfire, leaving the customer dissatisfied at your inability to conform to their schedule. I know we have all used flag stops, and these often work well without any hitches, but when the shortcut fails, it will just be your butt blowing in the wind.

Aaron

Hey there's also no pickup saves drivers everywhere hours a day. In my case it'd only save 1 min for my little pickup.

R

retired

That customer (i.e. the business making your paycheck and bennies and retirement possible) pays $16.00 a week to see your smiling face each day at an appointed time. Whether they ship or not. Some of my pick ups have my cell number (those that have asked) and text me or call me from time to time, to request a later or earlier pick up, let me know they have a few boxes instead of the usual two envelopes (bring your hand cart), or if they are occasional shippers, they can call and set up a pick up.

If management wanted to text us the status of our pick ups, they would have implemented that by now, if only in order to saddle us with even more work. OCA anyone?

Showing up everyday, at the same time gives us the opportunity to grab more business -- how many accounts do you have that use us for ground and Fred or the Germans for air? That is icing on a brown cake if we can get it all -- we're already there!

As to these text messages, what happens when you're on vacation or sick?
Great point, since you're using an unauthorized system to maintain contact with your pickups there is no backup communication available when you get the flu or go on vacation.

Another potential problem that comes to mind is the identity of who or what is behind this "free" service. Is this all run off of his kid's pc in his garage or is there something more substantial behind it? If a UPS driver is technology saavy enough to set up this "valuable" service why not charge for it? What is the motivation behind a UPS driver offering this "free" service?

Why in the heck wouldn't you just give your customers your cell phone number instead of involving an unknown third party? Has anyone ever thought that this could be a competitor just looking to get your pick up business?

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
That customer (i.e. the business making your paycheck and bennies and retirement possible) pays $16.00 a week to see your smiling face each day at an appointed time. Whether they ship or not. Some of my pick ups have my cell number (those that have asked) and text me or call me from time to time, to request a later or earlier pick up, let me know they have a few boxes instead of the usual two envelopes (bring your hand cart), or if they are occasional shippers, they can call and set up a pick up.

If management wanted to text us the status of our pick ups, they would have implemented that by now, if only in order to saddle us with even more work. OCA anyone?

Showing up everyday, at the same time gives us the opportunity to grab more business -- how many accounts do you have that use us for ground and Fred or the Germans for air? That is icing on a brown cake if we can get it all -- we're already there!

As to these text messages, what happens when you're on vacation or sick?

Again, this text messaging system I came up with does not necessarily apply to all of your pickup accounts. If you have some accounts that want to see your pearly whites every day, then by all means, floss up and be there every day. But I'm sure you have a few pickups that would like to use this system with you. Again, you are in complete control of which of your customers you want to set this up with. Use common sense.

As far as if you call in sick or are on vacation, then remember, this system is for those customers who have a daily pickup account. Anyone filling in on your route will see your pickup log and know to check with all of your pickups. If you want, when you go on vacation, if you happen to know who is going to be doing your route, you can update your account settings on PackagePickup.com, putting in the "fill in" drivers cell phone number instead of yours, and any messages being sent to you, will be forwarded to the fill in drivers phone instead. Just be sure to update your account again with your cell phone number before you go back to work.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
With GPS in the new diads, I think it might be a good idea to actually be at the pickup stop when you stop complete it. That "dishonesty" language in the contract can mean anything UPS wants it to mean.

I highly doubt that using GPS in the diad will be implemented in a way that ups will be "red flagged" if or when you stop complete pickup a little ways away from the pickup. UPS will only look into stuff like that if you miss a pickup. That's when they freak. But even if they somehow freaked when you didn't miss a pickup, then just stop complete those stops as you are driving by.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
It will work great as long as no problems arise. It will require you to frequently look for messages when you need to be focused on other work, thus slowing you down. Then you offer them the option of changing your schedule in order to encourage them to use this service, which is supposed to be helping you. On a heavy route, this idea could backfire, leaving the customer dissatisfied at your inability to conform to their schedule. I know we have all used flag stops, and these often work well without any hitches, but when the shortcut fails, it will just be your butt blowing in the wind.

Exactly, my system is a modern/better version of using "flag stops". If you are a driver that doesn't have any stops like that, then my system may not be for you.

As far as checking to see if you have a text message. Most phones will give you a loud tone, and/or vibrate, when one comes in. You will know without even having to look. But then instead of grabbing your phone right away, you can safely wait til you have a minute to look at your phone (I.E. you are not driving your truck), and see which customer sent you a message. Much safer than trying to answer a phone call. It only takes a sec, and you can save a lot of time if you use it with a few of your customers.

I

iuuytdh

You’re missing one big point.

Here you won’t have a cell phone unless it has a personal property pass issued by security on it.

NO inside employees will have cell phones period. Increasingly, package car drivers won’t have them either.

That if for a few reasons.

1) the phones have been used to coordinate thefts.

2) using any personal communication device while operating a vehicle is prohibited by law (here).

3) “professional” Teamster drivers have already been involved in three fatalities while (according to witnesses) they were chatting away on their cell phones.

It won’t be long before you’ll either store your phone in your personal vehicle, or your locker (if so equipped).

If you get caught with a prohibited item you’ll start the process toward your eventual termination.

That will be nationwide within a few years. Watch and see.

Bye-bye packagepickup.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Great point, since you're using an unauthorized system to maintain contact with your pickups there is no backup communication available when you get the flu or go on vacation.

Another potential problem that comes to mind is the identity of who or what is behind this "free" service. Is this all run off of his kid's pc in his garage or is there something more substantial behind it? If a UPS driver is technology saavy enough to set up this "valuable" service why not charge for it? What is the motivation behind a UPS driver offering this "free" service?

Why in the heck wouldn't you just give your customers your cell phone number instead of involving an unknown third party? Has anyone ever thought that this could be a competitor just looking to get your pick up business?

As far as bieing sick or on vacation, please read my other post, or the the FAQ's section on the PackagePickup.com site. I've explained this.

Again, I am a UPS driver just like you, except I came up with a clever idea that I actually am persuing. I am not some compeditor or whatever. I am offering the service for free because I feel that is the only way people will actually start using it. Just like MySpace.com or even BrownCafe.com for that matter, the more users you have, you do have potential to make some money. But not by charging your members, rather with simple advertising on the site (see the big banner at the top of this site). What's the "motivation" behind BrownCafe.com? Same thing. I could potentially make decent money just by generating hits on the site.

My site is not hosted from my house, but instead a very credible web hosting company. The site can get many thousands of messages sent through it and not be overloaded. This is a legit business I have started and I am not going to wonder the rest of my short life "why in the hell didn't I persue that idea".

As far as a phone call vs. a text message. Text messages are far more safe and convenient to receive than a phone call. Especially while you are driving a huge brown truck with no power steering (many of our trucks still don't have it), or while you have packages in your hands. You can look at the text message whenever you want, not right then when it is coming in, like a phone call. Also, many states are now passing laws, making it illegal to have a cell phone at your ear while you are driving. You will be getting tickets for that in the future, and I bet UPS would fire you if they found out you were talking on your cell phone while you got into an accident on the job. Think about it.

R

retired

As far as a phone call vs. a text message. Text messages are far more safe and convenient to receive than a phone call. Especially while you are driving a huge brown truck with no power steering (many of our trucks still don't have it), or while you have packages in your hands. You can look at the text message whenever you want, not right then when it is coming in, like a phone call. Also, many states are now passing laws, making it illegal to have a cell phone at your ear while you are driving. You will be getting tickets for that in the future, and I bet UPS would fire you if they found out you were talking on your cell phone while you got into an accident on the job. Think about it.
Haven't you ever heard of voice mail? It's a lot more efficient and less hassle for the sender/customer than text messaging...

H

hr

Just like MySpace.com or even BrownCafe.com for that matter, the more users you have, you do have potential to make some money. But not by charging your members, rather with simple advertising on the site (see the big banner at the top of this site). What's the "motivation" behind BrownCafe.com? Same thing. I could potentially make decent money just by generating hits on the site.
This brings up a question about your ethics. You have stated that your business plan is based upon advertising income. You also pointed out that this site generates income by selling advertising.

It seems unethical of you to exploit this forum by using it for unauthorized free advertising for your own advertising based business.

worldwide

Could you please post what your privacy policy is? You should have a policy that covers how you treat personal information that you collect and receive. Any website has a posted privacy policy that describes what they do with the information they collect. Thanks.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
This brings up a question about your ethics. You have stated that your business plan is based upon advertising income. You also pointed out that this site generates income by selling advertising.

It seems unethical of you to exploit this forum by using it for unauthorized free advertising for your own advertising based business.

I didn't say that my site "generates income by selling advertising". I was just answering someone's question as to why I developed the site. Assuming the site starts to generate a lot of hits, there would then be potential for me to make some money by allowing some simple banner advertising (similar to this BrownCafe.com site). I am not lieing here. I would love for this site/service to be useful enough to enough people that it generated enough hits for me to make enough money on it to at least pay for itself. (wow I used the successfully used the word "enough" four times in one sentence!) I honestly have no idea how what will happen with this idea I came up with. The fact is, it is a service that can definitely help a lot of delivery drivers throughout the country. Even if someone else came up with this idea, it's a subject that is definietly worth talking about here on this site. BrownCafe.com is an open public forum with it's own advertising business base, and there's nothing wrong with that. How is it that me talking about a my idea to fellow UPSers (and whoever else uses this site) would need to be authorized. If BrownCafe.com has an issue with me, they would have already deleted my comments.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I didn't say that my site "generates income by selling advertising". I was just answering someone's question as to why I developed the site. Assuming the site starts to generate a lot of hits, there would then be potential for me to make some money by allowing some simple banner advertising (similar to this BrownCafe.com site).
BrownCafe.com is an open public forum with it's own advertising business base, and there's nothing wrong with that. How is it that me talking about a my idea to fellow UPSers (and whoever else uses this site) would need to be authorized. If BrownCafe.com has an issue with me, they would have already deleted my comments.
Actually I do have a major issue with anyone exploiting this forum for free advertising. I don't want our community to think that because your thread has been allowed to stay on the board this site endorses you or your website in any way. I allowed your thread to stay online because your site is free and I wanted to see what everyone had to say about your idea.

At this point it would be a good idea if you bought some ad space so that there is a more reasonable advertising relationship that doesn't give the impression that you, your business model or service is endorsed by Brown Cafe. Although this is an interesting idea I don't know why you think that UPS would tolerate an anonymous third party controlling any communication between service providers and customers. Please contact me...

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Could you please post what your privacy policy is? You should have a policy that covers how you treat personal information that you collect and receive. Any website has a posted privacy policy that describes what they do with the information they collect. Thanks.

Thanks for that suggestion. I have since posted a privacy policy on the site.

beentheredonethat

As far as if you call in sick or are on vacation, then remember, this system is for those customers who have a daily pickup account. Anyone filling in on your route will see your pickup log and know to check with all of your pickups. If you want, when you go on vacation, if you happen to know who is going to be doing your route, you can update your account settings on PackagePickup.com, putting in the "fill in" drivers cell phone number instead of yours, and any messages being sent to you, will be forwarded to the fill in drivers phone instead. Just be sure to update your account again with your cell phone number before you go back to work.

In some systems they have it so you can put in a temporary number and set the time period this temporary number is good for. So if you know Joe with a number of 555-555-5555 is covering your route, and he agrees with taking the text. You'd enter in the information and make it valid from 9/25/06-9/30/06. That way you don't have to worry about forgetting to switch it back to you.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
In some systems they have it so you can put in a temporary number and set the time period this temporary number is good for. So if you know Joe with a number of 555-555-5555 is covering your route, and he agrees with taking the text. You'd enter in the information and make it valid from 9/25/06-9/30/06. That way you don't have to worry about forgetting to switch it back to you.

Yeah, I have thought of that. I just haven't figured out how to do that yet. I am a UPS driver with limited time to spend writing code on my computer. But yes, I do plan to add that feature as soon as possible.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Governor Arnold (California) passed a law that makes it illegal to talk on a cell phone (with it held up to your head) while driving a vehicle. This law does not go into effect until 2008, but heads up guys, you may soon be getting fined for using your cell phone while driving your truck. Other states are sure to follow. Text messages are the way to go!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Pickups.....I have been anxiously awaiting this law. I'm tired of people on the phone drifting over the line and almost hitting my car and then they look at you like "oopsie". Not cute......hang up and drive!!