Package Pickup

ikoi62

Pickups.....I have been anxiously awaiting this law. I'm tired of people on the phone drifting over the line and almost hitting my car and then they look at you like "oopsie". Not cute......hang up and drive!!
just to let you know..nj & ny have this law already..it dont work..people still talk on the phone.:mad:

Dutch Dawg

With flag stops in the past, a driver in all probability entered upon the customer's property even if it was only as far as the parking lot. With the text system suggested here, a driver could feasibly not be within miles of the pick-up, but yet still take credit for it.

Is this an ethical way of performing your job responsibility and can you justify this approach without citing an injust action on the part of your employer in the past?

I suspect you believe this a way to utilize technology to work smarter. I believe it to be a means to avoid the leg work you signed on for and now seem reluctant to perform.

Leave the managing to managers...for how else will we be able to justify their existance?

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Bring a Cell phone to work only on days I have somewhere to be at night. Not one of my customers ever asked me for my number because I'm there every day at the scheduled time. If they need me to come back, miles are money. Yes, I'm old school and not a fan of all this technology.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Well, one of these days you will get into an accident while driving to a place to make a pickup, or maybe while backing to their dock. You will then realize that the company didn't even have anything for you to pickup that day. I know you will think of me on that day.

With flag stops in the past, a driver in all probability entered upon the customer's property even if it was only as far as the parking lot. With the text system suggested here, a driver could feasibly not be within miles of the pick-up, but yet still take credit for it.

Is this an ethical way of performing your job responsibility and can you justify this approach without citing an injust action on the part of your employer in the past?

I suspect you believe this a way to utilize technology to work smarter. I believe it to be a means to avoid the leg work you signed on for and now seem reluctant to perform.

Leave the managing to managers...for how else will we be able to justify their existance?

cino321

Well, one of these days you will get into an accident while driving to a place to make a pickup, or maybe while backing to their dock. You will then realize that the company didn't even have anything for you to pickup that day. I know you will think of me on that day.

Are you serious? Like are you honestly trying to make a valid point?

Let me get this straight. So if I do use your service, and one of my customers lets me know I have to pick them up today and I get into a accident while making a pick up, I can hold you accountable? UPS is gonna love that one that is a lot of liability you just took off their hands.

Another thing, showing initiative and thinking outside the box (no pun intended) is not factored into my dispatch everyday. I certainly do not get paid enough to sit and think of creative ways to improve the way the company works, and if I did, there are certainly bigger fish to fry.

DS

Fenderbender
Hey pickups,I have a question or two
Say you phone all your pickups at 14:30 and they have nothing
going out that day,do you sit around in a coffee shop for three
or four hours,or do you call the center and get told to go to
every pickup anyways? I can see how this could bring up some
serious integrity issues.And as for my customers texting me,
they would take advantage,and I`d be doing more backtracking
than I am now.I get up to 22 oncalls a day,and 10 messages from
the center like...do you have a pkg for 2388 Forest lawn Dr....or
bring pkg for 7 westgrove to clerk for will call...Start time 08:00
tomorrow,don't be late! Do your sups know you do this?

jasar13

How is it that this thread has been revived after having the last post on 2/27/07 by the same poster that posted the original?

Is he now advertising on BC? It seems like it is now time to pull the plug on this subject. He is obviously trying to drum up business.

What say you?

brownman15

How is it that this thread has been revived after having the last post on 2/27/07 by the same poster that posted the original?

Is he now advertising on BC? It seems like it is now time to pull the plug on this subject. He is obviously trying to drum up business.

What say you?
i second that request

mis_load

I am a old school upers, been around a long time. I always hated flag accounts, its just easier to go by and stop. Also, it help with sale leads at times. I have a real problem with this service. We have to many new drivers now that don't want to work but want that paycheck. Not to mention that our customers pay for daily pick up service. Our customers are busy too, who has time to text. I get paid to do a job that has been outline for years and it works why try to take shorcuts?

upsdude

I have 15 pickups, every one of them is made in trace beginning as early as 9:00 in the morning. Every now and then a customer will say they’ll have stuff ready later, I go back. If I had the same 15 pickups to be made later in the day that’s exactly what I’d do. Face to face pickup is what each of them are paying for, and it’s my job to do just that.

Text messaging is safer? I’d rather drive in a lane next to someone talking on the phone than someone reading a friggin text message.

Shoot, lets take it one step further. Why don’t we just text the customer and tell them where to pickup the packages!

This text deal is nothing more than another web based personal information grab.

upsgrunt

Isn't that called area knowledge? You know, knowing your route and customers better than anyone else and knowing where you can save time. How about when a customer helps you at a bulk stop? Do you refuse the help because UPS isn't paying them and that is work you are suppose to do?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
hope you are sending and recieving those customers text while on break and not driving,thats stealing time and the EMPIRE could get you on small change like that if your on THE EMPIRES hit list. Keep texting you dope & you will get burnt! 15 yr driver who did his pick ups the old way and never missed one . you sir are a lazy bastard who will go down! this is a great job that pays you well and you will miss the 1200 a week! they dont pay that a you local courrier company !!!$$$$$$$$

rushfan

I like going to my pickups. I know what I can freeload off of them. Where the food is and the free sodas. If I used the service, I would have to pay for my food.

cuttlefsh

You’re missing one big point.

Here you won’t have a cell phone unless it has a personal property pass issued by security on it.

NO inside employees will have cell phones period. Increasingly, package car drivers won’t have them either.

That if for a few reasons.

1) the phones have been used to coordinate thefts.

2) using any personal communication device while operating a vehicle is prohibited by law (here).

3) “professional” Teamster drivers have already been involved in three fatalities while (according to witnesses) they were chatting away on their cell phones.

It won’t be long before you’ll either store your phone in your personal vehicle, or your locker (if so equipped).

If you get caught with a prohibited item you’ll start the process toward your eventual termination.

That will be nationwide within a few years. Watch and see.

Bye-bye packagepickup.

Just put the phone in your shoe that has steel toes. then they wont have any clue cus your shoes set off the metal detector anyways. Just don't bring in any liquids... could be liquid explosives.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
You’re missing one big point.

Here you won’t have a cell phone unless it has a personal property pass issued by security on it.

NO inside employees will have cell phones period. Increasingly, package car drivers won’t have them either.

That if for a few reasons.

1) the phones have been used to coordinate thefts.

2) using any personal communication device while operating a vehicle is prohibited by law (here).

3) “professional” Teamster drivers have already been involved in three fatalities while (according to witnesses) they were chatting away on their cell phones.

It won’t be long before you’ll either store your phone in your personal vehicle, or your locker (if so equipped).

If you get caught with a prohibited item you’ll start the process toward your eventual termination.

That will be nationwide within a few years. Watch and see.

Bye-bye packagepickup.

Well what the hell do you think the DIAD is? A communication device! We are all already using it all day viewing texts and replying all day long. I can't see how UPS could ever stop drivers from being able to have a cell phone on their route. Cell phones are too important to people nowadays. Like supervisors aren't going to bring their cell phones on route when they are doing a route, training on a route, or what have you? Yeah right. By the time all that type of stuff is settled (in a few years as you say), you'll be receiving pickup related messages from your customers on your DIADS anyways, either from my system forwarding the messages to DIADS, or UPS will copy my idea and let customers do the same.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Are you serious? Like are you honestly trying to make a valid point?

Let me get this straight. So if I do use your service, and one of my customers lets me know I have to pick them up today and I get into a accident while making a pick up, I can hold you accountable? UPS is gonna love that one that is a lot of liability you just took off their hands.

Another thing, showing initiative and thinking outside the box (no pun intended) is not factored into my dispatch everyday. I certainly do not get paid enough to sit and think of creative ways to improve the way the company works, and if I did, there are certainly bigger fish to fry.

If you use the service as it is intended, you would only use it with customers that have a daily pickup setup with UPS. Therefore, you would already know that the customer needed a pickup. What difference would it make if that customer sent you a message saying they needed a pickup? You already knew that. It's when they don't need a pickup, or have an unusual pickup that they might send you a message.

It's not that you don't get paid enough to sit and think of creative ways to improve service. I don't think it would matter how much you got paid.