Package triage

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
That's what this job is all about. We have to find the balance between those that sign our paychecks (management) and those that make sure the funds are there to cover our paychecks (customers) . Too many times we are caught in the middle.

upsman68

I wanted to get the perishables off because it will stink up the package car the next day.
I personally don't like to bring packages back because it rollovers the next day. I have 20 stops in section 8 that have been on the truck for two days now.
Hopefully I will catch up on Sunday.
The dispatch manager is putting too much work to be delivered in one day. I should not care if they don't care but I feel some sympathy to my customers not receiving their packages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober, I am confused----in your previous posts you made it sound like you were making an "executive decision" by rolling stops. Now you are saying that you asked permission.

I agree with the others who applauded your dedication to your customers.

I totally disagree with Over on this one.

Our center is 100% clean going in to Monday; unfortunately we are in the midst of an ice storm which is not going to let up until some time tomorrow afternoon. I am already getting nervous about Monday----thank goodness we are starting early as it will give us more time to get off as much as we can.

barnyard

KTM rider
I get what sober is saying and am bummed that his bosses did not see what he was trying to do and allow it.

This morning, I delivered air. Before we left, I looked through the send agains from my loop. I delivered 2 Adult sig required and found a package from a DFU. 3 stops that no one will have to worry about on Monday. I was kind of surprised that none of the other drivers did the same.

kingOFchester

I commend Sober.

The best business decision would be to run the trip where you can get the most off. Less damage typically means less consequences.

If I run a small company that services 200 people a day, I would rather miss service on 20 then 40 with everything else being equal.

Overpaid Union Thug

It's a shame that this is happening all over the country despite all of the millions of dollars that have been spent on technology over the years. What good is it if Atlanta just uses it as another tool to create arbitrary metrics that wreck the system?

Just Lurking

I get what sober is saying and am bummed that his bosses did not see what he was trying to do and allow it.

shortened...

I think that all of us including our local level management understand. They have about input into the situation to allow it to be fixed.

ManInBrown

Zero on route missed past week. Bout 60 off route misloads brought back

Top of my head guesstimating I went 1550 for 1550 stop count. 100% customers satisfied

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Had 13 hrs with a 16 hr dispatch. They sent another driver out to relieve me after I ran out of hours. He never cleaned up. What a nightmare of a week.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, I am confused----in your previous posts you made it sound like you were making an "executive decision" by rolling stops. Now you are saying that you asked permission.

I did make an executive decision. But when the office paged me to ask how many missed stops I was going to have, I told them...and was instructed to go back and deliver the ones I had rolled.

The good news.... is that I am working tomorrow (Sunday). My center manager called me and asked if I wanted to come in and I said yes. We are running 13 routes of nothing but packages that were missed on Friday, the work is being offered in seniority order and then forced from the bottom up if there arent enough takers. Guranteed 8 at time and a half. I am starting to understand why we were being instructed to deliver every package every day; by doing it "by the book" and allowing the missed stops to pile up to catastrophic proportions, our management basically forced their idiot superiors to grant permission for a Sunday clean-up dispatch.

UPSIE

I missed 11 and diverted least 90 miles worth of stops. I always go with what road has most stops.If they would just start us earlier all would be possible. This out the door at 1230 is plain wrong

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Today was a disaster.

Only about half of our missed stops from Friday even got processed. Our center manager got permission to dispatch 12 routes; what got unloaded would have needed at least 20 routes to get done. The 40 extended stops that I missed on Friday and was hoping to do today are still in a retain trailer and will be piled in over the top of the 14-15 hour dispatch I will have tomorrow morning.

Having completed my first "route" by about 4:00, I returned to the building and was then dispatched on a second "route" that consisted of about 200 of Fridays missed stops from 4 adjacent routes that were all stuffed into one car. I brought about 160 of them back. Some have been missed every day since last Tuesday.

In my 27 year career, this was the first time I have ever been dispatched with a full route at 4:30 on a Sunday afternoon and its the first time I have ever brought 160 missed stops back at 7:15 on a Sunday night. It is also the last time I will ever experience these things.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Thats exactly why i ran out of hours by fri night punchout. Forget that bs thats for the birds. Getting whipped like a mother mon til fri is good enough for me. Sat n sun is get caught up on sleep deprivation time and football lol