Package triage

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My building had something close to 10,000 missed stops on Friday due entirely to understaffing and drivers running out of DOT hours.

We are projected to run close to 100,000 pieces today, which is 25,000 more than our old record prior to this year (we have set volume records every day this peak.) yet we have fewer drivers and fewer routes than last year. Without exception, every single holder of a DOT card...whether they be management or hourly....has been working 60 hours per week. My center manager has been working about 100 hours per week.

Somwhere in the bloated, rancid bowels of this company's management structure there is an idiot who made the utterly incompetent business decision to understaff us and intentionally set us up to fail. This individual is responsible for many tens of thousands of service failures and a historically unprecedented level of stress, chaos, frustration and wasted effort for the hourlies, management and customers whose lives have been affected by his abject stupidity. I have been a driver for 27 years and it has NEVER been this bad.

I truly hope that this individual...regardless of who he is or how hard he tries to shift the blame for his failure upon others...is ultimately held accountable. Termination for incompetence is obviously appropriate, but in an ideal world he would also be marched out in front of one of the affected buildings, chained to a light pole, and publicly flogged in front of the entire work group.

Rant over. Im on my way in to work now, where I will get to spend the next 14 hours deciding which customers get their packages and which ones dont this Christmas.

over9five

Staff member
I truly hope that this individual...regardless of who he is or how hard he tries to shift the blame for his failure upon others...is ultimately held accountable. Termination for incompetence is obviously appropriate....

We both know that won't happen. In fact, it is more likely he'll get some kind of promotion. That's how it is at UPS.

It is unfortunate you didn't get to deliver the rest of your own work yesterday, but hopefully you did someone some good.

Be safe.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have been delivering all my NDA on route for the last 2 weeks. Today, I had to go help someone that met all their NDA commits, but was 2 hours behind because of it.

I will not add hours to my dispatch to get NDA commits.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Somwhere in the bloated, rancid bowels of this company's management structure there is an idiot who made the utterly incompetent business decision to understaff us and intentionally set us up to fail. This individual is responsible for many tens of thousands of service failures and a historically unprecedented level of stress, chaos, frustration and wasted effort for the hourlies, management and customers whose lives have been affected by his abject stupidity. I have been a driver for 27 years and it has NEVER been this bad.

As drivers, it is pounded in our heads to EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED
Atlanta will shift 100% of the blame to weather ! 100%
UPS knew we would have record amount of stops this year
UPS knew we would experience the effects of WINTER WEATHER

UPS can't even EXPECT THE EXPECTED

Drivers and management know very well that you can't run a company lean and mean then at the start of peak double your staff with seasonals and rent box trucks and try to process record number of deliveries.

Nothing will be learned and all blame will be shifted. When UPS began overusing and misusing weather delay for NDA, the outcry and legal action from the customer forced UPS to change their ways. I can't see how Atlanta's lack of EXPECTING THE EXPECTED can be changed. Outside of hiring a CEO who actually delivered in brown, there is no shot.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have been delivering all my NDA on route for the last 2 weeks. Today, I had to go help someone that met all their NDA commits, but was 2 hours behind because of it.

I will not add hours to my dispatch to get NDA commits.

At this point, my customers are fortunate if they even get their NDA at all. My building had thousands of missed NDA today. We just dont have enough bodies.

kingOFchester

Somwhere in the bloated, rancid bowels of this company's management structure there is an idiot who made the utterly incompetent business decision to understaff us and intentionally set us up to fail. This individual is responsible for many tens of thousands of service failures and a historically unprecedented level of stress, chaos, frustration and wasted effort for the hourlies, management and customers whose lives have been affected by his abject stupidity.

Sober,

We could start with Mr. Peak AKA Scott Abell. In his defense he has only been working on peak plans since January. And UPS has only have a few years of experience with this thing called peak.

http://nybw.businessweek.com/articl...-master-scott-abell-they-call-him-mr-dot-peak