Package w/ required signature was left without signature and stolen

yeldarb

Kinda like pre-record in the diad 5. I've got guys who deliver ground and air and accidentally hit the touch screen after 10:30 and it's late. Take out pre-record we aren't allowed to use it so Hy have it anyway.

Prerecord is convenient for apartments....I dont want to get 17 signatures at the office by the same person...I like just getting 1 signature, with 17 left ats.

yeldarb

"unscheduled" is a pickup option in our diad which is warning letter material in our center if you do a pickup as unscheduled.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Damn IPad. How do you deliver a truck full of NDA and pre-record it. Wouldn't the first hint be when you get the signature? We are not on DIAD 5 so maybe that is the problem. I can't imagine new technology would create problems.

I have had this issue come up before, thankfully not for NDA. I set up a stop for multiple left at and think that I have included all of the prerecorded stops only to find out when I go to punch out that I didn't.

AssistantSanta

I never drove, but I delivered over the Christmas.

For packages not coded as "signature required", signature is at the instructions of management as well as discretion of the driver. Around the area I worked, houses, we could leave on the front door.

Apartments with open walkways required signature regardless of package signature status at management instructions.

When a package is scanned, it populates the list on the portable computer that UPS calls DIAD. When the package has been left, the driver pushes "delivery complete" button. The types in use today has a GPS and it retains the exact coordinates.

So, when the consignee called and filed a lost package claim, they probably looked at the GPS logs or got a call from someone at the delivery point and learned where the package was released. When there are two similar streets, drivers occasionally do this. For example, 105 SW Pine St and 105 SW Pane St. I know we did things like that a few times :o

So, once its discovered that its at Pane St, dispatch sends someone to likely location (105 Pane St) to recover.
The package is then taken to 105 Pine, and to make sure, customer contact is made and signature is requested.

Colorado Springs, CO, United States
04/12/2012 3:09 P.M.DELIVERED
Colorado Springs, CO, United States
04/11/2012 9:12 P.M.Tracer request. / Lost package tracer.
04/11/2012 1:25 P.M.DELIVERED
04/11/2012 5:15 A.M.Out For Delivery
04/11/2012 12:55 A.M.Arrival Scan
Commerce City, CO, United States
04/10/2012 11:07 P.M.Departure Scan
04/10/2012 2:22 P.M.Arrival Scan
Albuquerque, NM, United States 04/10/2012 4:55 A.M.Departure Scan
04/10/2012 1:31 A.M.Arrival Scan
Phoenix, AZ, United States 04/09/2012 2:05 P.M.Departure Scan
Phoenix, AZ, United States 04/06/2012 9:57 P.M.Arrival Scan
Mesa, AZ, United States 04/06/2012 9:00 P.M.Departure Scan
04/06/2012 5:10 P.M.Pickup Scan
04/06/2012 2:33 P.M.The shipment has been dropped off and is now at The UPS Store®.
United States 04/06/2012 5:12 P.M.Order Processed: Ready for UPS

See the two delivery dates? The one on 4/11 was a DR, the one on 4/12 (today) is the signature.

Indecisi0n

We don't---the helpers use helper boards and those that are trained put a lot more than 30 stops in to them.

Normally depends on the helper. I am more concerned about the helpers safety then how many stops he has in his board. Too many helpers try to fumble with the board and packages while moving.

bl04a

I see many packages every week that have signature required stickers on them, but customer didnt actually pay for signature required, so package can be left.

yeldarb

We don't---the helpers use helper boards and those that are trained put a lot more than 30 stops in to them.

I get nervous at peak letting a helper use the helper diad at peak without me doing the stuff for him. If he messes up somehow, my name is still tied to the package, and I am sure I am the one that will be disciplined if something is done incorrectly.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Last week my CS comes up to me with sheet of paper. The paper was from High Value Audits. It stated that I DR'd a high value package without a signature. It was a gun. I had to return to location to gain signature for the package. I asked her why this was my problem. There was no indication on the package that it was a high value or needed a signature. No 42 in the center of tracking. Just a plain old 03. The shipper should have been more attentive to the contents of the package. I did not have on my X-ray glasses that day. You know....that pair that I got out of Boy's Life when I was 10. Needless to say.....I had to get that signature.....be damned or high water.

Bm01555

Your kidding right? When they picked up the package for delivery they became responsible for it until the consignee received it. They, because of their procedures, AKA driver release, put the final delivery at risk not you. Just file a claim and you will be reimbursed up to insured value.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your kidding right? When they picked up the package for delivery they became responsible for it until the consignee received it. They, because of their procedures, AKA driver release, put the final delivery at risk not you. Just file a claim and you will be reimbursed up to insured value.

Did you even bother to read any of the preceding 77 posts before posting?

The OP did not choose "signature required" when processing the pkg for shipment. The delivery driver made a safe DR; however, for some reason there was a second delivery attempt made, at which time the driver got a signature. The reason for the second attempt is the mystery and, unfortunately, the OP has gone AWOL so we may never know. My theory is the OP called the toll free number complaining that we never got a signature and the center sent the driver back to get a confirmation signature.

The consignee has the package so there is not need for the OP to file a claim.

Indecisi0n

I get nervous at peak letting a helper use the helper diad at peak without me doing the stuff for him. If he messes up somehow, my name is still tied to the package, and I am sure I am the one that will be disciplined if something is done incorrectly.

Had the same issues. Once I had the center manager came to me about missed scans the helper didn't use the board any longer.