Package Weights

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Ok I have been seeing this more and more and its really starting to bug me.

Get to the stop go to pick up package that weighs well over 50 pounds look at the weight on package and it say 4 pounds.

Now UPS used to check this stuff to make sure people didnt do this. Do they still audit packages, does the technology we have check this stuff.
Or is UPS just getting riped of and they dont care.

Also Getting packages that clearly are over 150 pounds even though they say 149, this happened the other day to me. At the stop we put it on a scale and it weighed in at 198 lbs. If I blow out my back on something like this wouldnt UPS be libel for my injury? Do they even care?

Really would like some info on this, Thanks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Revenue audits used to be done at the center level but are now done at the hubs.

If you encounter a clearly overweight package ODS the center and ask them what they would like you to do. Usually if the package is found before it enters the system it will be refused--once it is in the system we end up delivering it and UPS adds surcharges to their bill.

Safety becomes an issue when pkg weights are not correctly indicated. This is why we are trained to test the package for weight and shifting contents. If the loader preps to lift a 4 lb package they could easily be injured if the pkg weighs 50 lbs instead.

working up a sweat

A sharp eyed co-worker package handler (former PC driver, bumped off route) on my air container belt, pulls off at least 2 boxes a month with false weights. Notifies PT sup and they report this to the building auditor. The former PC driver is a class guy and has not made a mis-sort since he went back to inside work over a year and a half ago. Does not miss driving.

over9five

Staff member
A sharp eyed co-worker package handler (former PC driver, bumped off route) on my air container belt, pulls off at least 2 boxes a month with false weights. Notifies PT sup and they report this to the building auditor. The former PC driver is a class guy and has not made a mis-sort since he went back to inside work over a year and a half ago. Does not miss driving.

I'm not a class guy, but that is my plan for the bid.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Have 3 auditors on the air belt all night long .I can usually tell when something is going to be heavy the driver drops it on the floor instead of placing (hand to surface) on the belt. LOL

rocket man

Get to the stop go to pick up package that weighs well over 50 pounds look at the weight on package and it say 4 pounds.

Now UPS used to check this stuff to make sure people didnt do this. Do they still audit packages, does the technology we have check this stuff.

Also Getting packages that clearly are over 150 pounds even though they say 149, this happened the other day to me. At the stop we put it on a scale and it weighed in at 198 lbs. If I blow out my back on something like this wouldnt UPS be libel for my injury? Do they even care?

DO THEY care about what/?

Johney

Revenue audits are STILL done in my center
Our center also and we average 150 drivers a day(between the two centers in our building). Not sure if that's considered a small or big center,but they have a couple guys who audit both centers.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
DO THEY care about what/?

Does UPS even care if I blow out my back on a package that wieghs well over the 150 pound limit. Well no I know they dont I am not dumb.

Does UPS care about the money it is losing from all the packages that say they wiegh 4 pounds but really wiegh 54 pounds, I dont konw anymore its money down the drain, but who knows we are run by people with very little clue about how things work.

UPSGUY72

If I notice a big difference in the weight on the label and the weight on the package I would mention it to the shipping person if they where there. If not I would call be SUP and let them no what is going on then bring it to the PM clerk.

Companies also photo copy shipping labels or print out more than one and put then on more than one package. In that case when I deliver the packages I remove the labels and bring them back to my SUP. I also sheet the second box by itself by imputing the shippers account # and then the weight in the last three spaces.

If it was over 150 lbs I hope you didn't take it.

C

chuchu

Revenue audits used to be done at the center level but are now done at the hubs.

If you encounter a clearly overweight package ODS the center and ask them what they would like you to do. Usually if the package is found before it enters the system it will be refused--once it is in the system we end up delivering it and UPS adds surcharges to their bill.

Safety becomes an issue when pkg weights are not correctly indicated. This is why we are trained to test the package for weight and shifting contents. If the loader preps to lift a 4 lb package they could easily be injured if the pkg weighs 50 lbs instead.
They tell us to pick them up and write "AUDIT!" in large letters on the side of the pkg where the label is (preferably with a broad tip marker) so the auditors in the hubs can correct the shippers billing. Shippers who don't have any scales on the dock where they ship are a dead give away!

One shipper on my route was sending "150 lb" pkgs next day air that when weighed at the center were actually 198-219 lbs each. They (the sups) said those WERE elgible to be shipped thru the air system but got a $50 ADDITIONAL charge added on in house. (I didnt know I could lift that much.) I was very happy when they started sending all those by Sonic Air-if you can imagine THAT bill!

What is equally a pain is how much weight is stuffed into those "sure post" bags (AND NOT WEIGHED!) that we haul to the postal service docks. If you've got some part timers with good arm strength you can inherit some pretty heavy smalls bags!

I'm going to start sheeting all those as special counts-ov 70s until they start weighing them and marking the weights on the bags. How do you like me now?! LOL:happy-very:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
whenever one of those is brought to my attention i arrange for it to be sent back to the hub and audited for freight to take out

not only is it a massive safety issue, but it's defrauding the company

Bristol Brown

I'm going to start sheeting all those as special counts-ov 70s until they start weighing them and marking the weights on the bags. How do you like me now?! LOL:happy-very:

I do that all the time as it helps my planned day with allowances.Only in the UK we work in kilos so it`s over 30kg.

Still get packages with two man lift written on them so I dump them under the belt and tell the dispatchers/sup/manager to deliver it themselves because I wont.