Package Weights

DorkHead

Revenue audits used to be done at the center level but are now done at the hubs.

If you encounter a clearly overweight package ODS the center and ask them what they would like you to do. Usually if the package is found before it enters the system it will be refused--once it is in the system we end up delivering it and UPS adds surcharges to their bill.

Safety becomes an issue when pkg weights are not correctly indicated. This is why we are trained to test the package for weight and shifting contents. If the loader preps to lift a 4 lb package they could easily be injured if the pkg weighs 50 lbs instead.

The surcharge is added only if the package in the system has been audited once it has been discovered.

I have occasionally refused to pick up pkg`s where the weights are way more than what the label reads. This does not happen often with my daily p/up accounts. Where it does happen often is with call tags and RS, ARS labels. Regarding call tags, I politely tell the customer to contact the CT issuer and explain I will not pick up this pkg with a incorrect weight. Two days later I will get a new call tag with the correct weight. Same with RS/ARS labels. My center mngmt team is 100% behind me when I make these decisions.

CFLBrown

Whats the procedure with picking up ARS packages that don't have a weight?

One time I did encounter picking up ARS packages at a school. I had a hard time getting one of them on the hand cart. Got it back to the builidng and it weighed 140LBS. Never heard anything about it. Was a few years ago. A couple of others in that pickup were over 70s as well. I'd ask our management team, but they change up so much whats the point.

DorkHead

ARS labels with no weight just get recorded in the special counts screen like RS labels. If the pkg is over 70lbs and you know it from experience, I`ll put a "over 70" sticker on it, take it, and ask them in the future to please try to keep them under 70 if possible. Not much more you can do.

C

chuchu

The surcharge is added only if the package in the system has been audited once it has been discovered.

I have occasionally refused to pick up pkg`s where the weights are way more than what the label reads. This does not happen often with my daily p/up accounts. Where it does happen often is with call tags and RS, ARS labels. Regarding call tags, I politely tell the customer to contact the CT issuer and explain I will not pick up this pkg with a incorrect weight. Two days later I will get a new call tag with the correct weight. Same with RS/ARS labels. My center mngmt team is 100% behind me when I make these decisions.
I am glad some management teams can make a consistant decision. We were told the ARS pkgs are audited for weight in some hub or clearing facility. Then we we told not to accept them if there are two pkgs taped together. Then we were told to go ahead and pick them up. And finally were told not to refuse to pick up ANY package because "that is what we are in business for" and yet we weren't told what to do with them as far as auditing except maybe apply the "audit!" technique to the label side of the box. Until the company provides scales in the truck for the driver we are to pick every piano and pool table up if it has a UPS label on it. We love quality management teams! Know any?

AKCoverMan

I've always been told they get audited "somewhere" i.e. Louisville or Ontario (all our lower 48 volume including ground goes by air to one of these points) although I do see these going in state and I don't think we audit anything for weight or dim weight locally.

I have also wondered about ASD/GSD pickups where there is no weight on the document and no scale available. I just leave it blank and turn in the UPS copy of the doc at checkin. How do we charge these people?

C

chuchu

I know the company charges the shipper (or recvr) and additional charge up to $10 per pkg for items left blank or incorrect info on the shipping docs. I know we used to charge the customer the weight of an average pkg when the weight was left blank unless someone audits it so we can enter it in our diad info when we scan the pkg to deliver it...unless it is preprinted with the shippers accnt no. which leaves us no place to enter the weight in the pkg info.

pretzel_man

Ok I have been seeing this more and more and its really starting to bug me.

Get to the stop go to pick up package that weighs well over 50 pounds look at the weight on package and it say 4 pounds.

Now UPS used to check this stuff to make sure people didnt do this. Do they still audit packages, does the technology we have check this stuff.
Or is UPS just getting riped of and they dont care.

Also Getting packages that clearly are over 150 pounds even though they say 149, this happened the other day to me. At the stop we put it on a scale and it weighed in at 198 lbs. If I blow out my back on something like this wouldnt UPS be libel for my injury? Do they even care?

Really would like some info on this, Thanks.

Audits used to be done manually in most hubs. Today however, the audits are done automatically in strategic hubs.

There are Dimensional Weight System Machines (DWS) that scan the bar code and weigh and size packages. As I said, they are strategically placed so that the vast majority of packages get audited.

A bill is sent to the shipper from the system.....

porkwagon

Ok I have been seeing this more and more and its really starting to bug me.

Get to the stop go to pick up package that weighs well over 50 pounds look at the weight on package and it say 4 pounds.

Now UPS used to check this stuff to make sure people didnt do this. Do they still audit packages, does the technology we have check this stuff.
Or is UPS just getting riped of and they dont care.

Also Getting packages that clearly are over 150 pounds even though they say 149, this happened the other day to me. At the stop we put it on a scale and it weighed in at 198 lbs. If I blow out my back on something like this wouldnt UPS be libel for my injury? Do they even care?

Really would like some info on this, Thanks.

No. UPS would not be libel for your injury.
li·bel/ˈlībəl/

Verb:
Defame (someone) by publishing a libel.
Noun:
A published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.
Synonyms:verb. slander - defame - calumniate - malign - traduce - vilify
noun. slander - defamation - calumny - aspersion - scandal