Packaging Question: What do you if.......

Integrity

Binge Poster
What do you do if you are a UPS Service Provider, customer counter clerk, or any UPS employee who is presented a package for shipment and the package is clearly packed in a way that will not handle the rigors of the UPS system with out being damaged?

I'm not looking for the company jargon on this, I'm actually looking for comments on actual practice.

Thanks,

I

UPSGUY72

What do you do if you are a UPS Service Provider, customer counter clerk, or any UPS employee who is presented a package for shipment and the package is clearly packed in a way that will not handle the rigors of the UPS system with out being damaged?

I'm not looking for the company jargon on this, I'm actually looking for comments on actual practice.

Thanks,

I

Can you clearify what you mean by a package that is packed in a way that will not handle the rigors of the UPS system?? Becasue UPS handles millions of packages a day and that are package millions of different ways. So I'm kind of confused about which way is not right. If it needs more tape to keep the package closed I tell them they need to put more tape on it or I might just do it myself.

Are you for real ? Give me a break If you pack something up to be shipped it isn't my responsibility to make sure you packed it correctly. The only thing I need to make sure is that it's tape up good and the box doesn't contain any hazardous makings that require special permits or are prohibited.

If you want to be cheap and pack 50 lbs of crap in a 30 lb box go ahead but don't excpet UPS to be responsible for you crap when it reaches the other end not in one piece.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sometimes if a package looked iffy to me I would hold it about 3 feet off the ground and ask the customer if it was ok to drop it. The expression on their face would be a good clue as to how it was packaged. Usually though I would just tell them that UPS probably would pay a claim or at least fight them on it if it wasn't packed good.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have on several occasions informed customers that I would be unable to pick their parcel up until it was repackaged properly.

Yesterday I had an account try to ship out a 110 lb crate that had been assembled from scrap wood and a nail gun. I counted at least 20 nails and screws sticking out of this thing, some as far as 1/2 an inch. It was like a porcupine. Grab it wrong and you would slice your hand wide open. I politely explained to them that I wouldnt be able to pick it up until it was safe to handle. They understood and didnt give me a hard time about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The one problem I run in to is customers reusing alcohol boxes. When I explain our policy on the reuse of alcohol boxes they usually understand and will offer to repack for pickup the following day but there is always that person who does not (or will not) understand and I simply tell them (politely) that I cannot take their package and to have a nice day.

For the folks above who said they would basically take any package regardless of condition--this may be the easy thing to do but you may actually be creating more work for the person who may have to retape or even repack that package. You may also be asking for a damage claim. Stopping a potential claim before it enters our system saves everyone time and money.

john346

No more Brown!
Sometimes if a package looked iffy to me I would hold it about 3 feet off the ground and ask the customer if it was ok to drop it. The expression on their face would be a good clue as to how it was packaged. Usually though I would just tell them that UPS probably would pay a claim or at least fight them on it if it wasn't packed good.

I'm so glad to see another who does this as well! After repeatedly trying to educate with company policies, I have found that this is by far the quickest and easiest. Cool!

Could I please speak to the idjut that takes the manilla envelopes filled with thirty pounds of nuts and bolts? They tend to break open on the belt directly above my head.