Packmule

nicky

Have had telematics for a long while, welcome to Big Brother 2.0. We call it googlematics but the gist is this. It records EVERYTHING, if you move the package car without the seat belt latched or bulkhead door closed it will generate a report. It will also tell them how fast you were going, how long you sat idle, how many times you backed up, how fast you were going when you backed up and when you get the googlematics version even uses google earth to show you a picture of where you backed up. It is ridiculous, they will start doing "virtual OJS's" where they just look at the route on your computer and you will have to answer for any stop that you stayed at longer than the computer says you should.

satellitedriver

I thought most drivers knew that when UPS replaced the Logo ,on our shirts, it was actually a Star Trek type communicator.
Notice , if you will.
Turn the UPS shield upside down and it closely resembles Capt. Kirks and Capt. Picards shirt pin
that they communicate to the main computer that controls the Star Ship Enterprise.
Coincidence?
I think not,
-( left myself wide open with that comment)-,
since Geeks now steer the tightest ship, in the shipping business.

Packmule

Where I come from, we are probably still using your old diad. Anyway, telematics. New here. Got no problem with seatbelts or bulkhead doors. Wonder if the speed sensors also see that motorhome running 15 miles an hour under in a no-passing zone, icy roads, etc, etc that I see? Backing? Many of my rural stops, I either back in or back out. No turning round at the house unless they want a $180 dollar tow bill. How does all this work? Let us know!!!

brownrod

Backing? Many of my rural stops, I either back in or back out. No turning round at the house unless they want a $180 dollar tow bill. How does all this work? Let us know!!!

Clearly you should be avoiding these driveways! Either walk in or bag the package and leave it in the driveway.

We are getting telematics here as well. Only problem I foresee is constantly having to explain why I backed the truck up with the rear doors open.I back up to a lot of docks in a p7 with swinging rear doors.

I see extra routes coming to our center after telematics is deployed. This program is going to slow a lot of us down. Especially rural routes. It's hard to drive the speed limit out in the middle of nowhere. And you can waste a huge amount of time in order to avoid a backing manouver.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Have had telematics for a long while, welcome to Big Brother 2.0. We call it googlematics but the gist is this. It records EVERYTHING, if you move the package car without the seat belt latched or bulkhead door closed it will generate a report. It will also tell them how fast you were going, how long you sat idle, how many times you backed up, how fast you were going when you backed up and when you get the googlematics version even uses google earth to show you a picture of where you backed up. It is ridiculous, they will start doing "virtual OJS's" where they just look at the route on your computer and you will have to answer for any stop that you stayed at longer than the computer says you should.

The computer just doesn't appreciate good looking women.:happy2:

CustomerConcern

biggest problem is (no we don't have it yet) is INTEGRITY. If they ask were you stopped at this stop for 5 min...Yeah I was looking for the damn box. Why did you do 18mph down G street? Damn kids were all over the place playing. Just don't lie cuz then they got you.
Nearest big center to us that have it, called the BA in to sit for a day and ride with an On-Road. The OR sent ODS to a driver "Whats your current location?" driver rsponded with some other place than he really was. OR and BA drove to the driver, informed him he was fired for proven dishonesty no if's ands or buts.

Packmule

I've been rural for 6 years now. 22 metro before that. Still learning perhaps. Do you really get away with leaving packages out by the highways that often without customer complaints? I've had 4 complaints this winter alone just trying to use emergency conditions. I'd love to bag it and leave it by the gate, but worry about what the customers will think--and how management will react. Also, as for walking off long driveways, we're talking 200 yards one way solid ice. Dragging two-wheelers over that gets dangerous and we get warnings everyday that slips and falls will be as severely disciplined as accidents. Just no winning out here in the sticks it seems.

just_a_number

brown rod... the back doors dont have the sensor just the bulk head... this system also determines if u backed at a resi or commercial...the average distance they want us backin in our center is 40 ft...for resi... and our average idletime is to be somewhere around 34-40 mins a day... had the system for 2yrs now i hate it i think its a waste of time effort and money on the companys part

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Where the hell have you guys been, our building has had telematics for 2 years now. We must have been one of the test case buildings. You will be required to be 100% on seatbelt, bulkhead door. They can gps your speed and it records how hard you brake. Oh ya almost forgot how many times you back. Thats nothing, our building is also moving on to the new "back up camera", and yes they will be able to see the driver. No bull:censored2:.

That's right, Orlando too has been tele' ed up for some time now. It has a box next to the bulk head door with antenna. The PCM here about it was quite amusing. One of the qoutes ran along as so " We know what you've been doing, and we dont like it. Consider this the shot acorss the bow ".

Such things as drivers driving 6 miles stright with no seatbelt, bulk head door open or staying idle for too long. :sick:

rod

Retired 22 years
brown rod... the back doors dont have the sensor just the bulk head... this system also determines if u backed at a resi or commercial...the average distance they want us backin in our center is 40 ft...for resi... and our average idletime is to be somewhere around 34-40 mins a day... had the system for 2yrs now i hate it i think its a waste of time effort and money on the companys part

How do you stay half way warm when its 20 below? During the winter my "idle time" was about the same as my paid hours. My package car seemed to always have severe electrical problems. If you shut the ignition off the heater would quit.

nicky

That's right, Orlando too has been tele' ed up for some time now. It has a box next to the bulk head door with antenna. The PCM here about it was quite amusing. One of the qoutes ran along as so " We know what you've been doing, and we dont like it. Consider this the shot acorss the bow ".

Such things as drivers driving 6 miles stright with no seatbelt, bulk head door open or staying idle for too long. :sick:

East west or kissimmee? Sadly enough I can verify his statement. Although it should be impossible for them to discipline anyone over it as it is regularly wrong. It once said I drove with the bulkhead door open for 110 miles, oddly enough I only drove 90 miles that day

Driveslayer

At first Telematics concerned me as being over managed, but if you do all your methods based on UPS printed policies you will have no problems. Center manager hates it because he can't compare the safe and real UPS drivers to the performance his suck up speedster drivers(under 10% of drivers) use to do because they never shut their engines off or closed their doors. The unsafe and careless drivers have no clue how to drive and deliver packages according to policy. One quit rather than retrain himself.

Cementups

Box Monkey

That's right, Orlando too has been tele' ed up for some time now. It has a box next to the bulk head door with antenna.

That's not for telematics. That's the communicator for DIAD 3 and earlier. Telematics is bult into your DIAD and under your dash. I actually had to have an extra antenna installed on top of my dash since the one under the dash was not communicating properly.

Nimnim

The Nim
East west or kissimmee? Sadly enough I can verify his statement. Although it should be impossible for them to discipline anyone over it as it is regularly wrong. It once said I drove with the bulkhead door open for 110 miles, oddly enough I only drove 90 miles that day

Blame the mechanics. They probably were too busy putting pinhole leaks in the coolant lines so they'd have something easy to fix in a few days to worry about the bulkhead door being missing. They're pretty crafty about ensuring job security here in Orlando.

P.S. Really I kid, they're a fine group of people who play the best music we all get to enjoy back there.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
does anyone know if the bulkhead connector can be "cheated"? Seeing as its a simple magnetic connection, couldn't you "in theory" place a magnet on the side where the bulkheads magnet would go and therefore trick the computer?

Not that I personally am gonna do it, I'm just wondering if it would work.

I plan on following all the methods perfectly and getting easy OT. I can't get fired for being injury/accident free.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
does anyone know if the bulkhead connector can be "cheated"? Seeing as its a simple magnetic connection, couldn't you "in theory" place a magnet on the side where the bulkheads magnet would go and therefore trick the computer?

Not that I personally am gonna do it, I'm just wondering if it would work.

I plan on following all the methods perfectly and getting easy OT. I can't get fired for being injury/accident free.

Do you think it would be a red flag when you manage to deliver the whole route seemingly without opening your bulkhead door after your magnetic alteration?
Same thing goes for sitting on top of your buckled seatbelt.

Used&AbusedwithNoPrivacy

Loyal_Teamster12
Yes, we have this in place at our facility in Oregon. It keeps track of everytime you open the cargo door, everytime you travel with the cargo door open, everytime you travel with your seat belt off, and other things too. They say it was put into place to promote safety. LOL, I believe that they also have tiny cameras installed in the cargo area, and the cab area, so they know what your doing all the time, and to minimize any opportunity of theft. Give me a break, its a totalitarian gov't in place monitoring and responding to all actions by the drivers. One time, when I was driving Saturday Air, I sneezed while I was driving and, sorry this is gross, some snot came out and I didn't know what to do, so I grabbed an Info Notice out of my front pocket and wiped my nose. I heard about it from my building Shop Steward the following Monday. They use these things as a way to totally control the worker, and at the very least, humiliate them in front of others. Anyways, Telematics keeps track of lots of different things, but as long as you are doing your job and not stealing anything, you should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it.