Packmule

Packmule

Yesterday I was coming in just under the wire, failing to get my 3rd 9.5 this week and planning to file. Then I found a misload in the truck that delivering would have put me over, so I informed my management team as per required. To my surprise, however, after forcing me to deliver misload upon misload for years now, suddenly I got told to sheet this one as a missed to avoid the hours problem. I didn't. I delivered it. The customer service instinct in me couldn't stand not delivering it. But I still feel I should be able to file. Probably can't, but what a bunch of cheeseballs we work for!

j100701d

Regardless if your sup told you not to. I am sure that you have documented dates and times when you have gone and delivered misloads before because your were told to. A misload is an everyday occurrence and when you ask to opt in and u get your 3 day lock in ride and if there is a misload than that will establish if you deliver in the future. This mngmnt team doesn't care about customer service, they just care about their #'s.

brownedout

Interesting responses. Heres 2 more scenarios from past couple of months:

1) Parcel containing ice cream ( clearly marked), off route. 3000 section near front, found pretty early looking for a 1000 section that I couldn't find. Sent misload message. As I am working toward area where off route is send 1 more message, should I deliver. No response from them. I should note there was at least four hours between messages. Plenty of time to respond or contact someone for delivery instructions (on OMS end). Believing that I'm going to be told to deliver it, I do. Unbeknownst to me there is road work and delivery takes way more than the 10 mins it should have. Fast forward to 8:00 PM and I am now in jeopardy of missing air trailer, instructed to bring back as missed whatever I have to, to make air trailer. Next day VERY stern talking to.

2) Next Day Air pkg on a Fri. The white poly bags from Vegas (perishable, refrigerate) Meds. NI1, I do a quick EDD search and see I will be on street again later, I mark on info notice I will return later in day. We have been instructed for the last 2 years or so not to make multiple att's on same day for NDA's, so much for premium servce. 2nd att is NI2. I'm sure most of you can see where this is heading. Start getting messages from them around 4 can I make 1 more att? NO. Why did you take it upon yourself to make 2nd att in the first place? Blah, blah blah! Becomes SDWC and warning letter.

So I've always known this anyway, but this just further reinforces the point. It's their company I just drive the truck and deliver. They make the decisions I abide by them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1) Parcel containing ice cream ( clearly marked), off route. 3000 section near front, found pretty early looking for a 1000 section that I couldn't find. Sent misload message. As I am working toward area where off route is send 1 more message, should I deliver. No response from them. I should note there was at least four hours between messages. Plenty of time to respond or contact someone for delivery instructions (on OMS end). Believing that I'm going to be told to deliver it, I do. Unbeknownst to me there is road work and delivery takes way more than the 10 mins it should have. Fast forward to 8:00 PM and I am now in jeopardy of missing air trailer, instructed to bring back as missed whatever I have to, to make air trailer. Next day VERY stern talking to.

This is clearly an example of good intentions gone bad. There is no way you could have known about the road work.

2) Next Day Air pkg on a Fri. The white poly bags from Vegas (perishable, refrigerate) Meds. NI1, I do a quick EDD search and see I will be on street again later, I mark on info notice I will return later in day. We have been instructed for the last 2 years or so not to make multiple att's on same day for NDA's, so much for premium servce. 2nd att is NI2. I'm sure most of you can see where this is heading. Start getting messages from them around 4 can I make 1 more att? NO. Why did you take it upon yourself to make 2nd att in the first place? Blah, blah blah! Becomes SDWC and warning letter.

See above. The only concern I have is that you sheeted the second attempt as NI2. That is not the method. We are directed to make three separate delivery attempts--making three in one day and then sending the pkg back as NI3 is not how it works. I also will reattempt delivery on send agains if time permits but sheet them as a duplicate stop. In your scenario, I would have voided your 2nd attempt and gone back and made a 3rd attempt. I don't understand why you got the warning letter unless you were less than polite in your response to the OMS clerk.

So I've always known this anyway, but this just further reinforces the point. It's their company I just drive the truck and deliver. They make the decisions I abide by them.

This may be true but it doesn't mean that you have to stop taking care of the customer, as you clearly tried to do in both examples.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Good luck in front of a panel explaining that you were merely trying to do the best thing for the customer while completely ignoring the supervisors orders. If you have not learned yet, the only person you should worry about taking care of is yourself. Work as directed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually thats exactly what it means, if thats what your told to do!!!

This may surprise you but it is possible to do both.

The OP did use poor judgement when he ran off the misload and almost missed the air trailer. I agree with his reattempt of the send again but not with his method of sheeting the package. I doubt if he received the warning letter for the reattempt--there has to be more to this than he is telling us.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
This may surprise you but it is possible to do both.

The OP did use poor judgement when he ran off the misload and almost missed the air trailer. I agree with his reattempt of the send again but not with his method of sheeting the package. I doubt if he received the warning letter for the reattempt--there has to be more to this than he is telling us.

Not if your told not to, remember you still work for them.

brownedout

My mistake in relaying the story, package was sheeted NI1 (2ND ATT) typed into remarks. Warning letter was for taking it upon myself to make second attempt without being directed. Our management team's managers have them convinced the only reason their drivers re-attempt send agains the same day is to jack up stop counts, and rack up overtime. While I'm aware of this pracitice happening, these center manager's, and OC's know their drivers best, as to who does and who doesn't, they clearly know I fall into the latter category, this was even acknowledged during meeting with steward. Whats really sad about this directive is those few remaining prescription shippers that do require signatures, especially leading into weekends. I'm not going to get so involved with an info notice and write a further note telling them to call for another attempt. Or any NDA (premium service) for that matter, a second attempt should be a given. It always had been. Whats even sadder is if the consignee had been home on the second try no one would have known a thing.