Paid for vacation week early?

Kodeex

OK, I mostly lurk around here--first time ever posting ( IIRC.. ).

So, this past month I hit my one year of employment on the evening shift. Of course, I jumped right on the chance to get a vacation. My vacation is supposed to be during July, in a mere 1-2 weeks.

Well, I have direct deposit, so I logged onto my bank account this morning to check my balance and, lo and behold--I have not one but two paychecks! I figured that it must've been a mistake, or something. Maybe I received someone else's paycheck as well, by accident?

I immediately checked UPSers.com, to see if there was an extra paycheck stub, or anything. Sure enough, there was a paycheck stub for last week's workload, along with an extra paycheck stub that was for the week of my vacation, along with the amount of paid vacation hours I earned.

My question: is this normal? Are we supposed to get our vacation pay early? Thanks!

Sleepless in South Houston

cosmictrucker

counting the months
I believe it's primarily set up that way to give the company time to correct any errors before you leave on vacation. The week after you return hurts a bit due to the lack of a paycheck. Plan ahead for that.

brett636

No, he really means it. PLAN ahead for two weeks without pay when you come back. Those are the hardest, longest two weeks.

Exactly, I hear a lot of people complaining about having no money that week that they don't get a paycheck. I move my vacation check into my savings account when it arrives and redeposit it the week that I don't get a paycheck so my pay rhythm doesn't get interrupted. Its easy to spend all that money the week you're on vacation and not have anything left to pay bills/survive the week you return.

upsgrunt

We call that Friday with no paycheck "black Friday". I wish they would not pay you early and just leave the pay schedule to normal. If you need that money early to go on vacation, you probably shouldn't be going on vacation.

UPSGUY72

I don't live paycheck to paycheck and have 3 to 4 month safety net in savings. So not getting paid a week isn't a big deal.

JonFrum

ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME
. . .Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air. . .

. . .All employees must receive their vacation pay in a separate check before taking vacation. Vacation checks for an employee, who is taking a properly scheduled vacation in accordance with the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum, will be at the operating center on Monday of the week prior to the employee’s vacation week(s). This is to ensure that the employee receives his/her pay prior to taking his/her vacation. The employee will be shown his/her check upon request, but will not receive the check until the regular scheduled pay day. . .

local 278

Are they doing it to pay us before our biannual raises? If they can shift everyone forward a week and pay at the pre-raise rate then it makes sense for them.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Are they doing it to pay us before our biannual raises? If they can shift everyone forward a week and pay at the pre-raise rate then it makes sense for them.

We'll know as long as people who have a week off the 2nd week of August speak up(or close to it, didn't look at calender). That theory sounds far fetched, though.

I recieved my vacation check on-time this past Friday, for the week of July 4th-11th, along with the paid holiday.

JonFrum

No. UPS doesn't save itself any money by paying us early.

By the way, I think you mean semi-annual raises. Biannual is every two years.