Pain Management

BrownThunder

How are you guys dealing with your physical pain on your job?

I'm on week 4 and the general soreness has gone away, however my shoulder joints and hands are experiencing pain at all times. It's uncomfortable to sleep with my shoulders in pain, and I've resorted to popping pain pills to sleep through then night in come resemblance of comfort.

Boy I'll tell ya, my center manager told me this would be tough, but the hard part isn't really the work itself. It's dealing with aches and (in my case) sleep deprivation. Do the aches and pains generally go away after a few months when your body gets used to the motion?

I just started watching the king of queens (for obvious reasons), and Doug used the :censored2:bag hand squeeze exercise contraption. I was considering jumping on amazon and one to use to help with my hands.

handgripmain_1386316913.jpg

Opinions? Comments?

How are you guys dealing with your physical pain on your job?

I'm on week 4 and the general soreness has gone away, however my shoulder joints and hands are experiencing pain at all times. It's uncomfortable to sleep with my shoulders in pain, and I've resorted to popping pain pills to sleep through then night in come resemblance of comfort.

Boy I'll tell ya, my center manager told me this would be tough, but the hard part isn't really the work itself. It's dealing with aches and (in my case) sleep deprivation. Do the aches and pains generally go away after a few months when your body gets used to the motion?

I just started watching the king of queens (for obvious reasons), and Doug used the :censored2:bag hand squeeze exercise contraption. I was considering jumping on amazon and one to use to help with my hands.

handgripmain_1386316913.jpg

Opinions? Comments?
Do you mind me asking how old you are? I'm quite the young buck in my early 20's I work out almost everyday and have experienced some pain in a few areas when I first started. Minor Pain areas in order: Forearm tightening, shoulder and back. My back and shoulder still bother from time to time. I take hot showers to release and sooth my soreness everyday; But with time, your body will eventually get use to the work motions. It honestly depends from individual to individual, and age to age.

browner89

Are you loading? Unloading? What's your physical build? Do you get help with things over 70? Hell, if 50lbs is uncomfortable get help, don't kill yourself working here. Your body is more important than they're numbers, especially once you're out of probation.

This also sounds redundant, but drink a lot of water and stretch often throughout your shift. Hydration and staying loose are two of the most important factors for a physical labor job.

Are you loading? Unloading? What's your physical build? Do you get help with things over 70? Hell, if 50lbs is uncomfortable get help, don't kill yourself working here. Your body is more important than they're numbers, especially once you're out of probation?

This also sounds redundant, but drink a lot of water and stretch often throughout your shift. Hydration and staying loose are two of the most important factors for a physical labor job.
Couldn't have said it any better. Drinking water and stretching are two major factors for less pain for this job.

J

jibbs

My middle finger gets really achey sometimes. Swear to God, that's not a joke even though it might come off as one. I think I've got a mean case of tendonitis between the first knuckle at the base of the finger and the second knuckle.

Pain management.... I just kinda live with it, man.

BrownThunder

I'm 31. 6'2, 250lbs. The only time I get help for irregs is when they're impossible to lift by myself. I'd say 90% of those boxes that say "team lift", we're doing by ourselves especially when it's the 11th hour and there are a dozen pallets of irregs to load.

Honestly I don't stretch as often as I should, and I drink water but not to the degree I probably should consistently.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm 31. 6'2, 250lbs. The only time I get help for irregs is when they're impossible to lift by myself. I'd say 90% of those boxes that say "team lift", we're doing by ourselves especially when it's the 11th hour and there are a dozen pallets of irregs to load.

Welcome to the real world.

BrownThunder

Welcome to the real world.

You're telling me. We're already gassed, and then we have to heave these heavy a__ irregs up onto a platform that seems to have been built to make it as difficult as possible. Seriously... when they built the place did irregs even exist?

browner89

Honestly I don't stretch as often as I should, and I drink water but not to the degree I probably should consistently.

Is it a fit 250 or a "could be better" kind of 250? Definitely get help with the heavier stuff, your health > all.

Look up a urine chart for the (non-medicated) color of what it should look like if you're properly hydrated. Being hydrated helps keep you awake, fresh, and is great for your muscles.

..and no, I'm not just rehashing their stupid safety briefs we get every sort start, speaking from experience of spending a year deployed in the desert and working labor jobs for the past 8 years.