Pallets

dei8

Does anyone know what UPS does with all the pallets they get? Do they sell them? Seems like an easy way to make some extra cash.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Does anyone know what UPS does with all the pallets they get? Do they sell them? Seems like an easy way to make some extra cash.

We use to run them with the irregs and store them.
We would then sell them to a guy who would come and pick them up.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The Pallet Man comes by my Hub about 6AM and picks up a load everyday. Somebody told me they are worth ten bucks apiece, I don't know if thats true or not.

We sell them by the truckload. Its ok if the company does it but a few years ago a driver was selling some on the side and got fired for it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We sell them by the truckload. Its ok if the company does it but a few years ago a driver was selling some on the side and got fired for it.

That sounds like the government doesn't it.

I extort money from an individual, I go to jail.
The governemnt does it, spreads the wealth aroound. :wink2:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
There is one guy here that does pick up broken and un-wanted pallets from all over the companys around here. I saw him at his shop chopping into pieces and selling them as kindling in bundles.

rod

Retired 22 years
pallets? where, how and why would UPS have pallets? Are they coming from large pickup accts that are bulk loaded into our trailers? I can't say I ever dealt with pallets at UPS. So does this mean UPS also has forklifts and pallet jacks?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
pallets? where, how and why would UPS have pallets? Are they coming from large pickup accts that are bulk loaded into our trailers? I can't say I ever dealt with pallets at UPS. So does this mean UPS also has forklifts and pallet jacks?

CPU/TDP trailers

trickpony1

There is one guy here that does pick up broken and un-wanted pallets from all over the companys around here. I saw him at his shop chopping into pieces and selling them as kindling in bundles.

It's my understanding the wood that pallets are made of is soaked in a chemical that repels termites.
I think it is called creosote (my spelling may be wrong).
When burned, this chemical emits a toxic gas that is dangerous to inhale.
You might want to consider this when using your fireplace, and this wood, during the holiday season.

satellitedriver

It's my understanding the wood that pallets are made of is soaked in a chemical that repels termites.
You might want to consider this when using your fireplace, and this wood, during the holiday season.
1Trick, just simply look at any pallet. They are raw cheap wood, sometimes painted for identification.
Creosote is only used for long term ground contact wood.
Pallet wood is usually a young growth wood, mainly an oak variety.
It makes great fire wood.

dillweed

Good ones are oak, cheapos are pine. Keep the pine out of the woodburner as it will build up gunk.

We have pallets and pallet jacks. Some big accounts do use them. Have no idea what happens to them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Sounds like you are describing railroad ties, underwater pier posts, telephone poles and fence posts. As Sat said, things that touch or under ground.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
CPU/TDP trailers[/quo

CPU/TDP ? (some secret feeder code?)(I'm just a dumb retired pkg car driver from a really small center)
Central Pickup which was later changed to Trailer Pickup and Delivery. These centers are usually in the larger hubs and end in an 8, For instance, the SLIC for Atlanta Hub is 3039 and Atlanta TDP is 3038.
These TDP drivers will take an empty trailer out and swap a full one which is brought back to the Twilight/Metro sort of the hub (hub equivalent of a small center's reload operation).
Customers will load up pallets (usually shrink wrapped) and then move them onto these trailers. These trailers are dock height flat bed trailers (typically 40 ft - Q). Probably, you are use to drop-frame trailers which we use to feed packages from one UPS location to another UPS locations.

rod

Retired 22 years
Central Pickup which was later changed to Trailer Pickup and Delivery. These centers are usually in the larger hubs and end in an 8, For instance, the SLIC for Atlanta Hub is 3039 and Atlanta TDP is 3038.
These TDP drivers will take an empty trailer out and swap a full one which is brought back to the Twilight/Metro sort of the hub (hub equivalent of a small center's reload operation).
Customers will load up pallets (usually shrink wrapped) and then move them onto these trailers. These trailers are dock height flat bed trailers (typically 40 ft - Q). Probably, you are use to drop-frame trailers which we use to feed packages from one UPS location to another UPS locations.

Now it makes sense----------all that big city stuff easily confuses me.:happy2: Thanks

1Trick, just simply look at any pallet. They are raw cheap wood, sometimes painted for identification.
Creosote is only used for long term ground contact wood.
Pallet wood is usually a young growth wood, mainly an oak variety.
It makes great fire wood.
And it's not too bad for cooking also. Best steak I ever ate was cooked over Oak Pallet wood.