Parasites workers

tieguy

Banned
A fair days work for a fair days pay.

1. Do the best job you can do and the company pays you the most they can.
2. Do the bare minimum and the company pays you the bare minimum required by the contract.
3. Do your best job and get paid the bare minimum the contract requires.

Which of the 3 seems most fair?

you guys sure come up with some goofy arguments. Are you asking for a bonus system to be put in? your union leadership has been against a bonus?

tieguy

Banned
OH c'mon, he's hardly desperate. ...and plus, You're the one on here constantly stirring things up, do you think that everyone here is that ignorant to see otherwise? how many thousand posts stirring the pot...:knockedout:

another post where you squirm away from answering the original questions you responded to.

Mike Hawk

Seeing as the union should and would extract from the company the utmost it can afford to pay its employees during negotiations, would not the most the company can pay and the minimum required by the contract be one and the same?
Yea the union is breaking the UPS bank with the 8.50 starting wage that has not changed in how many years?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

look the other way?

Take this question. What should he do if he believes his co-workers are violating the contract by not giving their fair days work? Should he show his pride in the teamsters by challenging these folks who are misrepresenting the teamsters? Do the teamsters have a process for addressing these types of contract violations or only the ones perpetuated by the company?

What should he do if one of his teamster brothers tell him to slow down as they often do? See you want him to shut up and look the other way when a brother is a malingerer but yet your brothers often pull our better people to the side and try to convince them to slow down. This is so the malingerers don't look as bad.

This single issue here is why the teamsters are considered a cancer. Your attitude of calling the ones that hustle "unsafe/suckups" tends to discredit your teamster brothers who exhibit a lot of pride in workmanship.

I believe, (IMO here), that we should just look the other way.

You love to generalize Tieguy, not everyone hustling is unsafe but about 50% are. The ones that do work safely, do not work 150% or 200% capacity but closer to 120%.

I believe that those who do not pull their weight should be documented, and terminated, period. I believe the steward shuold not side with the teamster in those cases. The steward should give ample warning that UPS is going to discipline them and give them that ultimatum.

There is no language in the contract that enforces anything like this, so it's all heresay, but overall there is no way for either side to enforce anything performance-related unless (1) its in the contract and (2) both a manager and steward both document it, give warnings, and eventually terminate.

As far as telling others to slow down, or hurry up, why should we? The first thing I was taught at UPS by a manager is "WAD and keep your mouth shut". I don't remember the situation but I do remember that I had made a few comments or comment that didn't go over well.

What good is it to pull another teamster aside and say "you're too slow, work harder." Give me a break Tieguy, that's a solution?

tieguy

Banned
I believe, (IMO here), that we should just look the other way.

You love to generalize Tieguy, not everyone hustling is unsafe but about 50% are. The ones that do work safely, do not work 150% or 200% capacity but closer to 120%.

thats a pretty high number you're throwing out there.

I believe that those who do not pull their weight should be documented, and terminated, period. I believe the steward shuold not side with the teamster in those cases. The steward should give ample warning that UPS is going to discipline them and give them that ultimatum.

There is no language in the contract that enforces anything like this, so it's all heresay, but overall there is no way for either side to enforce anything performance-related unless (1) its in the contract and (2) both a manager and steward both document it, give warnings, and eventually terminate.

As far as telling others to slow down, or hurry up, why should we? The first thing I was taught at UPS by a manager is "WAD and keep your mouth shut". I don't remember the situation but I do remember that I had made a few comments or comment that didn't go over well.

What good is it to pull another teamster aside and say "you're too slow, work harder." Give me a break Tieguy, that's a solution?

I've seen it done at other unions where the members police theirselves with the belief that they should sell union labor as being second to none.
otherwise i appreciate the honest answers.

Hawaii50

Here is example of what I mean when other workers attach themselves to you. 7800 pieces coming off a feeder, and these peices has to built in 4 containers to make a contecting flight. This job has to been done in 35 minutes. That's 1950 pieces per container. There is only 2 workers assigned to do this, so management calls in a senior employee to help. This senior employee hides, when the 7800 pieces show up from the feeder. When the job almost completed the senior employee appears out of no where to help with last couple hundred pieces. The senior employee does this so the senior employee there is some kind of accountabilty when the load manifest are done. Now, this employee is parasite. Free money for very little work. Some of you may think well, that's not a good example of a parasite.

Then read this one about this employee. 'The employee also crossed the line when the workers went on strike. Not only did the employee cross. The employee demanded strike pay from the union. How, the *#@! can report to work during a strike, and at the same time ask for strike pay from the union.

Last edited:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Here is example of what I mean when other workers attach themselves to you. 7800 pieces coming off a feeder, and these peices has to built in 4 containers to make a contecting flight. This job has to been done in 35 minutes. That's 1950 pieces per container. There is only 2 workers assigned to do this, so management calls in a senior employee to help. This senior employee hides, when the 7800 pieces show up from the feeder. When the job almost completed the senior employee appears out of no where to help with last couple hundred pieces. The senior employee does this so the senior employee there is some kind of accountabilty when the load manifest are done. Now, this employee is parasite. Free money for very little work. Some of you may think well, that's not a good example of a parasite.

Then read this one about this employee. 'The employee also crossed the line when the workers went on strike. Not only did the employee cross. The employee demanded strike pay from the union. How, the *#@! can report to work during a strike, and at the same time ask for strike pay from the union.

Why don't you hide too? Tell your manager or supervisor that you thought this was the protocal since the senior employee was demonstrating this.

If you want to do the work of two people, UPS will gladly accept it. It's your choice how much work you do. You set the bar.

Hawaii50

Why don't you hide too? Tell your manager or supervisor that you thought this was the protocal since the senior employee was demonstrating this.

If you want to do the work of two people, UPS will gladly accept it. It's your choice how much work you do. You set the bar.

Hawaii is not like the continental states. If packages miss the flight, you can't place those packages on feeder trucks to get them to the destination. If I hide, and the assigment results in 7800 service failures. Who's job is on line?

Do the work of two people, I set bar. I do what I must inorder to maintain a lifestyle that I like to live.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Hawaii is not like the continental states. If packages miss the flight, you can't place those packages on feeder trucks to get them to the destination. If I hide, and the assigment results in 7800 service failures. Who's job is on line?

Do the work of two people, I set bar. I do what I must inorder to maintain a lifestyle that I like to live.

Did you think I did not know that HI is different? lol The point completely blew over your head. Maybe too much Hawaii sun?

The point is, what is allowing the senior guy to "parasite" as you call it? Either management , You or both. If you allow it, don't come here whining about it. If it's management, then perhaps his seniority allows him to do other work while you low seniority workers do the dirty work.

N

ngf983n3jn

I must be the only one who views these workers as a liabililty to the company.

no, you're not.

management cant do much because they will have the union back them, due to thier senority.

bottom line, you work in a Labor Union and the longer you work there, the less you have to do. why do you you think they call unions, roach traps?

dont count on any of your union members to help you out on answering these questions, they dont want you to know the truth.

there are great places to work that wont put up with lazy workers. unions are slowly dying off and the teamsters will fall just like the others.

trickpony1

no, you're not.

management cant do much because they will have the union back them, due to thier senority.

bottom line, you work in a Labor Union and the longer you work there, the less you have to do. why do you you think they call unions, roach traps?

dont count on any of your union members to help you out on answering these questions, they dont want you to know the truth.

there are great places to work that wont put up with lazy workers. unions are slowly dying off and the teamsters will fall just like the others.

good point and maybe we can regress to the point where if you don't perform to management expectations they can tie your hands behind your back, force you to kneel on the ground and put a bullet in the back of your head (not unlike china).
Just think....production would dramatically increase, managements stock and dividend would grow exponentially, new and cheaper replacement workers would replace the ones "terminated" and the creed "power comes from the end of a gun" would prevail.
Your thoughts seem to portray management as honest, fair and moral. The union acts as protection, however "veneered", for the worker against greedy, self centered, egotistical management. I could be mistaken but I believe your forefather, James Casey, wanted the labor union in place at his business.

P.S.- I can only wish the union in my neck of the woods had a set like the union in the chicago area.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I didn't realize it was that low. Let me go apologize to my feeder drivers who I thought were making 28.75/43.12

Now when you were speaking you were talking about ptimers, now lets not throw in the wages of a 15 to 30 year employees who worked their way up to those wages!
no, you're not.

Management feels that they can walk upto a trailer and start screaming at the unloader because he is not working fast enough for the little geek that sits in an office making up these imaginary numbers. Ups is about the numbers and that is it, make em your great dont and your getting whips to your back.

Ups can push a button anytime and give package car drivers bonus or take it away.

Example my route i use to bonus slightly on, i run it the same way today that i did 3 years ago and know im 2 hours over. This week i am now walking scratch again, because they pushed another button. It seems i was getting less time for my pieces because somone entered me in the wrong loop. 2 years, should i file a grievance for harassment because ups was ruining my name with my fellow drivers because i was under performing by their numbers?

Work at a brisk steady pace no more no less, its a marathon not a sprint, 30 years is a long time to sprint!

Overpaid Union Thug

Now when you were speaking you were talking about ptimers, now lets not throw in the wages of a 15 to 30 year employees who worked their way up to those wages!

Management feels that they can walk upto a trailer and start screaming at the unloader because he is not working fast enough for the little geek that sits in an office making up these imaginary numbers. Ups is about the numbers and that is it, make em your great dont and your getting whips to your back.

Ups can push a button anytime and give package car drivers bonus or take it away.

Example my route i use to bonus slightly on, i run it the same way today that i did 3 years ago and know im 2 hours over. This week i am now walking scratch again, because they pushed another button. It seems i was getting less time for my pieces because somone entered me in the wrong loop. 2 years, should i file a grievance for harassment because ups was ruining my name with my fellow drivers because i was under performing by their numbers?

Work at a brisk steady pace no more no less, its a marathon not a sprint, 30 years is a long time to sprint!

My thoughts exactly. Let management worry about the numbers. Working by the book and at a steady pace allows me to only have to worry about one thing.....making sure my check is deposited every friday.

tieguy

Banned
good point and maybe we can regress to the point where if you don't perform to management expectations they can tie your hands behind your back, force you to kneel on the ground and put a bullet in the back of your head (not unlike china).

Interesting. Would the discharge grievance be filed before we pull the trigger?

P.S.- I can only wish the union in my neck of the woods had a set like the union in the chicago area.

you sure ? you guys get together and look at each others pairs?

Tony31yrs

When I first came to this site, I thought Tieguy was one of the objective management people, but the more I read his posts,the more I see the typical manager of the "guilty until proven innocent" and "all union guys are trying to screw UPS" mentality.
Of course there are parasite workers(and managers) in UPS and all businesses, but there are also the guys who do too much work and get hurt and in accidents not to mention make unrealistic time allowances for others. If another driver would screw me once by making it harder for me to do his job, he could forget about me ever helping him out when he needed it.
When I was working inside, one sorter used to BS all the time and let so many packages go by that I would have to keep hitting the shutoff because pkgs would fall off the belt. Whenever I would get ahead of him, I would make sure more pkgs would "slip by" me so that he would get slammed. Payback is a bitch. When we both went driving, he qualified and then took supervision so that he wouldn't have to work as hard. He worked his way up to manager and then got demoted for screwing up-go figure! Just goes to show, don't just think that union guys are parasites.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

When I first came to this site, I thought Tieguy was one of the objective management people, but the more I read his posts,the more I see the typical manager of the "guilty until proven innocent" and "all union guys are trying to screw UPS" mentality.
Of course there are parasite workers(and managers) in UPS and all businesses, but there are also the guys who do too much work and get hurt and in accidents not to mention make unrealistic time allowances for others. If another driver would screw me once by making it harder for me to do his job, he could forget about me ever helping him out when he needed it.
When I was working inside, one sorter used to BS all the time and let so many packages go by that I would have to keep hitting the shutoff because pkgs would fall off the belt. Whenever I would get ahead of him, I would make sure more pkgs would "slip by" me so that he would get slammed. Payback is a bitch. When we both went driving, he qualified and then took supervision so that he wouldn't have to work as hard. He worked his way up to manager and then got demoted for screwing up-go figure! Just goes to show, don't just think that union guys are parasites.

True, it goes both ways though. It's my thought that because Tieguy is basically facing off with mostly union-guys, he must fight battles with limited support or alone. This throws objectivity out the window, simply because his mindset from working at UPS for all the years past and dealing with those problems primarily on his own will not allow him to fall into a pattern of being objective with union people on this message board. Just as a stubborn, hard headed union employee falls into that pattern of thinking and feeling and cannot adapt themselves otherwise. I do not ever remember working for a manager whom was truly objective in nature dealing with employees at UPS. Always very selfish and what have you done for me today. Yes, some were better than others.