Part time 4 hour guarantee

JonFrum

The problem is that most part-timers do not care. they are in it for the benfefits or just for a side job to get in and out of.

I always try to tell the part-timers that take off after 3 hours or even the start of the shift ("wanna go home, wanna go home" from sups), that if they do not make their hours the H/W will come out of their own pocket.

Sometimes that gets them to realize, especially if they are in it for the benes, that they should think long and hard about 3.5 daily.
Sleeve, I'm in Local 42, and you're in Local 25, but we are both in the Local 25 H&W Plan. A full-timer needs 400 hours in a specific three month period for full coverage. A part-timer needs 225 hours in a specific three month period for second rate part-time coverage (which does not include Weekly Disability Pay, Life Insurance, Dependant Life Insurance, or AD&D Insurance.)

225 part-time hours is about 17.3 hours a week. A 3.5 hour part-time guarantee is 17.5 hours a week. Remember that many part-timers don't get paid for Sick Days, Holidays, Vacation Days, or Option Days. So many part-timers may not qualify for H&W (or pension) coverage even if they show up every day.

Several years ago, when UPS began throwing part-timers off the clock at the 3.5 hour mark, (or earlier), instead of the five hour mark, I heard there was an agreement that a part-timer would get four hours per day credit toward his H&W coverage so long as he punched in and worked for at least a few minutes. This way, if he left after three or 3.5 hours, he would still (just barely) qualify for H&W coverage. There was no similar agreement for pension coverage.

I don't know if this applies to just to the Local 25 H&W fund or to all the funds in the New England Supplement or what. Anyone hear anything about this? It was a word-of-mouth announcement from management, (not a rumour), but it's not mentioned in the Contract.

Notcool

The hub I am at we are lucky to get 3.5 We have no volume it is sad really 4 hours is really stretching it. I mean there is not enough work here plus I am tired after 3 hrs in this heat

smallsort490

there are about 60 ppl on our sort, and about ten of us r getting 4 hrs everyone eles leaves at the three hr mark. Some even before we take a break. UPS gets done on time with less ppl not early they just cut cut cut its all they know. Some nights mgmt cuts too many and they have to pay the rest of us OT i love it

Red Dawn

I'm at the Dallas hub on walnut hill and harry hines. I want to transfer to DFW.. it's so ghetto at the dallas hub
yea I've been out there many times picking up missorts on way back to hub. that place is a gas chamber when all the drivers are leaving. Especially in the winter time! :dead: lol fyi we just got a part time girl from fort worth that transferred and is working preload.

deede99

When I was hired in 1987 part timers were only guaranteed 3 hours a day. PH & sick days paid 4. Part timers actually out number full timers at UPS, but most of them are kids that don't care so they don't make there voices heard. I actually sent enough letters to hall that I was able to get a change in a contract. If part timers would speak up they would be treated better.

If Part timers on my sift start going home before their 3.5 they lay off the lowest person.........

Christine

WEST SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA. HELP! SUPERVISORS RTO ME ALMOST EVERY DAY, EVERY WEEK MY HOURS ARE REDUCING FROM 17 HOURS A WEEK TO ONLY 5 HOURS A WEEK. SUPERVISORS ARE NOT TELLING ME WHO MY SHOP STEWARD IS. IS IT BECAUSE MY INITIATION FEES HAVE NOT BEEN FULLY SATISFIED?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
WEST SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA. HELP! SUPERVISORS RTO ME ALMOST EVERY DAY, EVERY WEEK MY HOURS ARE REDUCING FROM 17 HOURS A WEEK TO ONLY 5 HOURS A WEEK. SUPERVISORS ARE NOT TELLING ME WHO MY SHOP STEWARD IS. IS IT BECAUSE MY INITIATION FEES HAVE NOT BEEN FULLY SATISFIED?
Why wouldn't you ask your coworkers who your shop steward is...instead of strangers on the internet? We don't know his name either. :rolleyes2:

AndUPSER

I searched "Teamsters Sacramento, California" and found you was in local 150 and there number is (916) 392-7070. Call them and tell them your situation.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Our whole late shift is guaranteed 3.5 hrs. Not one of them works that time for the 3.5. Which means none of them gets pension contributions each day. Part timers here are working for the moment not their futures. Which is why they have no say each contract. Most don't vote.

fres431

There's plenty of work in sac from what I hear. As long as you don't take a code 5 volunteer to go home if and when overstaffing you are guaranteed 3.5hrs. Forget who your shop steward is grieve it each day and week requesting green check they refuse green check ask for penalty pay on top. I believe that is 2.5hrs per week for part timers in NorCal. I do hear that your BA is kinda weak tho..