Part-Time Cover Driver to Feeders

brown123

I am a part-time package car cover driver already through progression (at top package car rate).Our feeder driver retired and I was lucky enough to get the full-time feeder bid(no full timers interested). Does anyone know what my pay rate should be? Do I go through progression again? Red-circled? Break-in rate? Each manager and union have different answer! I'm in PA.

over9five

Staff member
You should start immediately at Feeder top rate.

Good luck, welcome to Brown Cafe, and report back on your progress!

brown123

I hope you are right! That is what Center Manager says. Feeder sup. says since I'm part-time moving to full-time I must go through progression again. Union says I'm red-circled at top package rate until feeder progession passes that rate after 30 months.

UPSGUY72

brown123:950723 said:
I am a part-time package car cover driver already through progression (at top package car rate).Our feeder driver retired and I was lucky enough to get the full-time feeder bid(no full timers interested). Does anyone know what my pay rate should be? Do I go through progression again? Red-circled? Break-in rate? Each manager and union have different answer! I'm in PA.

Your full of s--t. Troll

Floyd Gondolli

Dude, if your going to Troll forums you need to either A. Do your home work. B. Use better wording. For one, as a cover driver, you never progress to top rate of pay. You stop at 75% at top rate of pay. Hang out and take your whipping like a man.

kingOFchester

Dude, if your going to Troll forums you need to either A. Do your home work. B. Use better wording. For one, as a cover driver, you never progress to top rate of pay. You stop at 75% at top rate of pay. Hang out and take your whipping like a man.

I am from PA. Our cover drivers do make top rate once through progression. We have a cover driver that has been covering for 10 plus years.

kingOFchester

Reading his/her post seems to be a driver. They know to much info such as "red circled", "progression", also knows about feeder sup and managers. I think he is not a troll or spent a lot of time getting some info on UPS.

Floyd Gondolli

I am from PA. Our cover drivers do make top rate once through progression. We have a cover driver that has been covering for 10 plus years.
OK, maybe my language is different in the west BUT. You're telling me no one in your local, Full- time route driver, Full- time utility driver wants this feeder job over the part-time cover driver? In my local if you have 20 yrs. company seniority and you are a cover driver, the person with 10 yrs. company seniority that is a full-time utility driver has the seniority for a feeder job.

Last edited:

kingOFchester

A few weeks back, a cover driver with 6 years signed the bid for feeders. He lost to just 2 other drivers. My building has 200-300 drivers.

Floyd Gondolli

My building has about 300 drivers as well. The pecking order is this: Cover drivers that when not covering (which is most of the year) go back to their respective hub jobs. Full-time utility drivers that get laid off as well (they can either work full-time in the building, go drive at another building till called back or not work at all). Route drivers that their route has been dissolved become utility drivers. Route drivers that are study. Top of the food chain is the Route driver that goes back and forth from feeder to package depending on vacations and the time of the year. So your saying a cover driver leap frogs all of this seniority and protocol. Not buying it.

kingOFchester

Don't know what to tell ya, no need to buy it then. Just telling you how it is here. Bid goes up and drivers can bid. Feeder driving is not as desirable at my hub.

Here you start out as peak or summer higher for driving pkg.
If you drive outside that window for 30 or more days in X amount of time, you get seniority and your progression starts. It is possible for the first year and be sent back to do a split shift for your eight. After 3 years you are at top rate. We have feeders coming back to pkgd because they didn't like feeders.

Floyd Gondolli

Good enough. I wish the language was the same around the country. You figure it would be though. See what the others have to say. OUT!

silentchief.bandcamp.com

brown123

I know I got lucky! No one signed the feeder bid when a feeder driver retired, except me. My question is not 'Do you believe me, Floyd?' It is 'Does anyone know what my pay rate should be when I start the bid feeder route?' I finished my training and start next week.

Floyd Gondolli

Dude, i'm sure you got the gig. I know what your question is. Why would anybody want to answer it if it sounds like a load? I don't know what the answer is, but if somebody does, your still going to get the same resistance. You're situation is unheard of. Ask anybody here. Curious, how long you been with the company total?

Floyd Gondolli

Just out of curiosity, give a general "where" in PA. Sounds like a really small center.
Out of all the drivers in his LOCAL and he, the part-time Cover Driver, bids and gets the gig? I just don't see it. It's not just his building/center that can bid. Maybe i should transfer to a small town.

brown123

Worked for UPS 24 years next month. Quit large center to take job in center with fewer than 20 total employees. Started over at bottom of seniority list, no health benefits, no paid time off, $8.50/hr. Did what I needed to for my family and was rewarded with a better outcome than anyone could have expected.