Part-Time Cover Driver to Feeders

raceanoncr

Out of all the drivers in his LOCAL and he, the part-time Cover Driver, bids and gets the gig? I just don't see it. It's not just his building/center that can bid. Maybe i should transfer to a small town.

Well, yes, it does happen. Happened MANY times here. You may be stuck in LA rat race but in many parts of the country, there are centers that are pretty remote, as in 250 miles (one way) of two-lane driving...all at night, in snow, wind, hills...all the elements you can imagine. USUALLY, only the hardiest of drivers will hold on to this bid. When they retire or are gone, these centers around here have had a hell of a time finding drivers to JUST BID on the run, only to withdraw when sat down and told the details. Hence, the bid is thrown out to ANYONE (friend/T or P/T) that wants it.

Is happening now. Driver is planning to retire in May at small center. The cover driver doesn't want it, is satisfied just to cover. Nobody in the center wants it. So what would you do? I understand that these spots are going up for statewide local to bid on but, again, it means moving to small center, driving in adverse conditions, being stuck there probably the rest of your life. On top of that, with UPS willing to close a center at the drop of the hat, what are you going to do if you've uprooted your family and tried to start over? It has happened many times here too.

So, whether we like it or not, sometimes it has to be.