Part Time Fedex Courier

vantexan

Damn..im in the Philadelphia area...Do u only get the 30hrs they give or u can work more if u want to?

In a city that big you most likely can get some extra hours. The thing about part-time is you can volunteer to work more than 30 hrs but they can't make you. Unfortunately you are getting on as FedEx is trying to reduce the size of the Express division but in a large city there's tons of freight and people call in sick, etc. Volunteer cheerfully and you'll get work. There may be other part-timers ahead of you in seniority who want full-time so you'll have to pay your dues. Unfortunately the dues paying at FedEx never ends. Consider UPS for a real job with a future.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Damn..im in the Philadelphia area...Do u only get the 30hrs they give or u can work more if u want to?
U can work more hours if THEY want you to... get used to being written up if you don't follow their policies to the letter, and conversely, seeing them bend those exact same policies when it's convenient for them. They have an official term for it known as "operational needs", which they use with great impunity.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In a city that big you most likely can get some extra hours. The thing about part-time is you can volunteer to work more than 30 hrs but they can't make you. Unfortunately you are getting on as FedEx is trying to reduce the size of the Express division but in a large city there's tons of freight and people call in sick, etc. Volunteer cheerfully and you'll get work. There may be other part-timers ahead of you in seniority who want full-time so you'll have to pay your dues. Unfortunately the dues paying at FedEx never ends. Consider UPS for a real job with a future.

This is correct, but please remember it is always on their terms. If they need you 40 hrs. one week and 15 the next, that's the way it works. Last week's Career Opportunities (our internal job opportunities printout) was at least 75% part-time positions. FedEx is clearly moving toward being a part-time company, and as they shift freight over to the Ground division (higher profit margin), this trend will only intensify. Do yourself a favor and try and get a job with a company that offers you a future. FedEx is not that company.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

If you let it be known to managers that you are willing and able, they WILL work you. It's not really based on favoritism in big stations, just willingness to say 'yes' when they ask. Just be careful that you don't set yourself up to depend on those extra hours, because they can be cut at any time. Living in the Philly area, I'm sure they have a pretty good turnover rate and it probably won't take you as long to become full time as it would if you were in a Podunk town in Montana.

DontThrowPackages

How long does it take a part time courier to become full time?

Really depends on how bad your station is hurting for people and in these times i really doubt there's a lack of employees. If you were at our station, you, outside of a tragedy,would never become FT. You may get a 40 hr week because here and there cus of bad weather or an injury but most these PT guys work 3 hrs and that's it. If you're a young person, UPS is a great company and even if it takes you 5 years to get behind the wheel just thing of how little time it would take to catch up and surpass the amount of money one of us is making. At one time the company really cared for its employees but that time has long passed. Why? I don't know. Maybe lawsuit after lawsuit has given the company heads a "Screw them" attitude towards the average worker. I know they told us how unions are no good yet their very own pilots have a union. Cher had it right, If I could turn back time.

vantexan

Really depends on how bad your station is hurting for people and in these times i really doubt there's a lack of employees. If you were at our station, you, outside of a tragedy,would never become FT. You may get a 40 hr week because here and there cus of bad weather or an injury but most these PT guys work 3 hrs and that's it. If you're a young person, UPS is a great company and even if it takes you 5 years to get behind the wheel just thing of how little time it would take to catch up and surpass the amount of money one of us is making. At one time the company really cared for its employees but that time has long passed. Why? I don't know. Maybe lawsuit after lawsuit has given the company heads a "Screw them" attitude towards the average worker. I know they told us how unions are no good yet their very own pilots have a union. Cher had it right, If I could turn back time.

FedEx is unionized in much of Europe too.

AMJ1981

It varies by station. Typically a bigger station will have more full time positions open because of people retiring or quitting or duis or injured way past the 90 day rule. Rarely will you ever see fedex create a new full time position. Nowadays Express are looking to cutting routes down. Even if a full timer retires, they will want to break that route down into part time positions rather than full time.
Also, you just have to be lucky as well. One part timer at my station was patient enough to work part time for 6 years before becoming full time. And one part timer became full time in 10 months.
Your best bet is talk your coworkers. Ask when was the last full time position opened up? Ask if anyone is retiring soon.
Hope this helps.

AMJ1981

You get 30 hours as a part timer at Express and its not peak???? Man you are lucky enough. I know part timers than barely hit 20 and some only get the minimums. And some float around the 20-25 range.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm in a major district and they have a hard time getting decent people, much less keepingthem. Half the people they are hiring hardly speak English.

Last edited:

HomeDelivery

I'm in a major district and they have a hard time getting decent people, much less keeping them. Half the people they are hiring hardly speak English.

wow, i thought that was a problem with only Ground & Home Delivery :dead: how did they get past the interview process if they can't answer them in simple engrish?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
wow, i thought that was a problem with only Ground & Home Delivery :dead: how did they get past the interview process if they can't answer them in simple engrish?

Because FedEx is so desperate in my district to find people willing to work for peanuts who can pass the big thrfee.... drug test, background check and driving record. Pretty slim pickings here. No speak English.... no problem. The 'New Normal' at FedEx. I could tell you some stories.

Sorry for typos.