Part time for life?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by notcoolman, Jan 11, 2016.

1. notcoolman

notcoolman Member

Not my goal but I know many in my hub that have 15 or 20 years plus in as pt. I could be in 25 in 15 more years. Is it possible lol? Is it a decent living once you hit 25 an hr or so? My goal is to drive but I failed the test due to lack of experience with stick shift. I plain to buy a beater to learn.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Is it safe to assume that you are working here primarily for the benefits? If so, why not just stay part time and find yourself a decent FT/PT second job.

3. Peppermint Patty

Peppermint Patty Cardboard Pusher

Yes. You can make a decent living pt. Your obviously going to make more as a driver but you can always stay part time and do Saturday driving for extra cash. Thats a good gig if you can get it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. jbg77

jbg77 Active Member

I know people that have been pt for 20 ish years. They make pretty well pt. I personally am waiting to drive as working pt and having another full-time jobs while also being a ptcd sucks. I'd rather drive fulltime, work less hours, and make more money than do all 3 of the above for less...just my preference.

5. rod

rod retired and happy

There were two part timers who retired from my old center a couple of years ago after 35 years. They were working under old contracts so they were making drivers wages.

6. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

There was 1 guy at my center that retired at 25 years PT, he was red-circled at driver's wages. There are a couple of people getting close to 20, that have no intention of driving.

It is not that hard to do the math to figure how much a PTer would be making over time. Most of the contracts, PTers have averaged $1/hr raise each year of the contract.

7. greengrenades

greengrenades To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Well the trick to being part time is to have a second job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Part time for life. I thought this was another Obamacare thread when I read this title. All companies are hiring now is part time to get around the law. lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. tre305

tre305 Member

no longer a UPSer but when i was, i had two people in particular in my building that were part time and had over 20 years in. one was a clerk and one was a pre-loader. the lady who was a clerk easily made more than a top pay rate driver.

10. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1452646922.740388.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

what are you not understanding?

12. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Clerk making more than a full time seniority driver
    "Top pay rate driver "

13. tre305

tre305 Member

We'll correct me it I'm wrong but a top pay rate Driver is around $33/hour right? The clerk has been there since the 80s and, again correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a salary cap for inside hourly workers? Given that they stay inside and don't move up to PC Driver or go into management. So I would think she's somewhere around $40/hour

14. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Do you just make this stuff up
    SMH!!!

15. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you are wrong about that. Most clerks are non skilled jobs. Just like a PT or FT car washer or unloader or porter(janitor). $1.05 less then a sorter or preload job. Sorters are about $.50 less then FT package car drivers. At least that is the wage scale in my building.

16. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

He might be right. We have a clerk that is making "pretty close" (they won't divulge the exact amount) to what a driver makes. They are red circled. Been around for nearly 40 years.

17. PT Car Washer

Pretty close is not making more then a FT package car driver per hour.

18. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

Those red circled jobs were part-timers making almost or the same as a full-time driver PER HOUR. They are still getting part-time hours, not 45-50 hours a week like a driver. When these people retire, those jobs are bid at present day pay rates.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. PT Car Washer

You are exactly right. But of course making $30 to $40k a year (or more) working PT is not a bad deal. On top of 7 weeks vacation and a pretty good pension whenever we do retire. Thank you UPS. Thank you Teamsters for $10/hr and no benefits.

20. No_Member_Name

No_Member_Name New Member

the trick is to get your certifications. Certified sorter, $1 raise, irreg belt certified, $1 raise, mule car license $1 raise. It all adds up, and with the yearly raises.....20 years in and your making over 30 an hour. I have no plans on going FT, give me my 20 hours and benifits and see u next week

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List