Part-time HolidayPay/Benfits/3.5 guaranteed

Jared89

I started 2 years ago, I had to wait about 4 1/2 months to get my benefits. If I didn't start the week before Peak I would've had it in 3 months but I agree 100% I have some new hires on my belt that have to wait one year to get their benefits. It just doesn't seem right. The reason why most people work part time at UPS is for the insurance and that it pays for your school.
:dissapointed:UPS does not PAY for my school....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
:dissapointed:UPS does not PAY for my school....
One of the people who reports to me approached me with some classes on Project Management.
I asked him if he thought these were really good classes that he would benefit from taking.
He said, "Yes".
I said, "It's good you feel that way because you'll be paying for them out of your pocket."

Believe it or not, I'm even more of a smart-butt at work than I am on here.

UPS doesn't pay for much of anything for friend/T Management anymore.

PS - He thought those courses were not looking so valuable on second thought.

illiana

I must say Ive been with UPS for 6 months now and so far the company is not living up to hype. I knew coming in that it was hard work and expected that but I had the impression that the benefits of working here was better than the actual work. I understand the contract that was signed doesnt change anything for employees that were there already but NO consideration was taken for new hires. Not getting benefits for a year and 18 months for spouse or children is RIDICULOUS. Recently we got two days off for thanksgiving which i would have rather just had one off if I knew I wasn't getting paid for two days. Which is crazy seeing as though ALL THE SUPERVISORS THOUGHT YOU GOT PAID HOLIDAYS AFTER 6 MONTHS and I got paid for the 4th of July and for a family funeral. The 3.5 guaranteed has not been guaranteed. I havnt seen the contract so I dont know the specifics but from looking at posts it seems we should be getting 3.5 whether we work it or not. Were usually done by 2.45 or earlier when its not peak season and our checks reflect 2.45 not 3.5/ Whats up with the 3.5 guaranteed? Not to mention I've been told to watch my checks carefully because UPS is good for changing start times so they can make there goals. I mean if I clock in at 11:00 start time and work 15 min I want to get paid that 15min and not get my start time pushed to 11:15. Retention rates for UPS will always be high because of the work but the benefits/holiday pay will continue this high retention rate for the next 5 years. MY FIRST BLOG AND MANY MORE TO COME.
No matter what every week your check should never be less than 17 hours and 30min. If the work isn't there make sure that you have informed the company to update your daily minimum hours for the day. Never listen to anyone tell you that you won't get paid for the entire day, even if your union is telling you this also. The union people that you will go to for help are either to stupid and don't know the contract, or they just don't want to be bothered with part time workers. I wish you all the luck, you have just become involved within a to part war with your union and the company.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
No matter what every week your check should never be less than 17 hours and 30min. If the work isn't there make sure that you have informed the company to update your daily minimum hours for the day. Never listen to anyone tell you that you won't get paid for the entire day, even if your union is telling you this also. The union people that you will go to for help are either to stupid and don't know the contract, or they just don't want to be bothered with part time workers. I wish you all the luck, you have just become involved within a to part war with your union and the company.[/QUOTE

Please read the National Contract IBT/UPS page 160 third "Memorandum of Understanding" on the page and give me your interpretation.Unless your local supplement states otherwise what you have written above is not entirely correct.

illiana

No matter what every week your check should never be less than 17 hours and 30min. If the work isn't there make sure that you have informed the company to update your daily minimum hours for the day. Never listen to anyone tell you that you won't get paid for the entire day, even if your union is telling you this also. The union people that you will go to for help are either to stupid and don't know the contract, or they just don't want to be bothered with part time workers. I wish you all the luck, you have just become involved within a to part war with your union and the company.[/QUOTE

Please read the National Contract IBT/UPS page 160 third "Memorandum of Understanding" on the page and give me your interpretation.Unless your local supplement states otherwise what you have written above is not entirely correct.
Maybe you should post that section of the national contract and reference it to what I have stated so that we can all see what exactly you are talking about. I would like to see where it states that if an employee shows up for work and wants to work but the work isn't there he or she will not get paid for that. If that employee does that for five days a week then that will equal a minimum of 17 and a half hours per week. That happens everyday in our hubs can you tell me where it doesn't, if this doesn't happen in your hub or barn maybe you need to consult your union.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Okay here you are : " Teamster United Parcel Service Negotiating Committee (Union)and United Parcel Service ,Inc. agree that it was their mutual intent that if a part time employee completes his assign duties and leaves work in less than three and one half hours he shall be considered to have forfeited the right to his daily three and one half guarantee. This shall not affect an employees right to a minimum three (3) hour daily guarantee."

I am a steward and have consulted my local on this and it has always been that you have to ask for and work your 3 and 1/2 to get paid for it and cannot be refused by management the time. It is our interpetation that the 3 hours is minimum for showing up on time. Hence 15 hours a week not 17 1/2.

Page 160

Last edited:

chopstic

Okay here you are : " Teamster United Parcel Service Negotiating Committee (Union)and United Parcel Service ,Inc. agree that it was their mutual intent that if a part time employee completes his assign duties and leaves work in less than three and one half hours he shall be considered to have forfeited the right to his daily three and one half guarantee. This shall not affect an employees right to a minimum three (3) hour daily guarantee."

I am a steward and have consulted my local on this and it has always been that you have to ask for and work your 3 and 1/2 to get paid for it and cannot be refused by management the time. It is our interpetation that the 3 hours is minimum for showing up on time. Hence 15 hours a week not 17 1/2.

Page 160

It says minimum 3 hour guarantee because some of us, including myself, work at an air facility and are only guaranteed 3 hours per the NMA. Most ground hubs/centers to my knowledge are guaranteed 3.5 hours.

And yes.... Its assumed that you can't voluntarily leave early and receive the guarantee. You just have to mention it if they try to send you home early. Sometimes they may keep you around to work the full guaranteed hours, but sometimes I've lucked out getting a guaranteed 3 hours after the sort finished in 2 hours. So you don't necessarily HAVE to work the full guarantee to receive it in your paycheck.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Chop,
I checked again today . Here is the deal If they ask you to leave and you ask for your guarantee they can still send you home but you are entitled to your 3 1/2 .Most likley you will have to grieve it.Most times they move on and send someone else home who then forfits his guarantee.I work in an air operation also and am hard pressed to get the 3 1/2 most nights. Having already worked 9 at my day job I do not complain and go home and let the younger guys who need the money get the hours.

Scooter1

With this new contract and the extended probation period, good luck in trying to file a grievance for the guarantee hours if you are a newbie. Part-timers are always getting screwed, especially air hub employees (3 hrs guarantee) who work side by side with combos who are have a 8 hour guarantee (4 hrs on each shift).