part time pay over the the years?

JonFrum

Glad you brought up the collesge student issue...there was a time when the only way you could work for UPS P/T was to show proof the you were a college student.
UPS and the Teamsters hatched a plan to exploit college students for cheap labor, and as a minipulatable voting group who had little interest in long-term Contract issues. The expectation was that they would put wear and tear on their bodies, but usually leave UPS before any serious symptoms developed. As the students aged in some other career, their symptoms would aggravate, but by then it would be some other company's problem.

The scheme was declared illegal.

Ups_ER

Talking about college students, in my Hub, I dont think they are many College Students at all. I believe they are to smart to work for 8.50/h.

I say that, because I have my degree, and seems whoever I talk to does not.

So, if UPS had still the college requirement, it would NOT have enough part time employees, if any!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There are several reasons for that.

One, there is a lot of money out there to get an education with, some of it free.

Two, there are a lot of other companies that offer better wages than UPS to part time personnel. McDonald's, taco Bell, Hardees, Wendy's just to name a few. And now that the min wage is $7.55, they are not far from having to increase that wage just to keep up with federal law.

d

island1fox

:wink2:Forty years ago --when I started with UPS ---I was loading feeders in the hub for a mighty two dollars and twenty nine cents an hour. I know many on the Cafe will say that I am PRE-HISTORIC.
Maybe --the only thing I can truly say to you --my 36 years at UPS were filled with ups and downs highs and lows --tough days and great days .
Woked every job --P/t c/w -clerk -hub --feeder --package --union jobs ---management positions . Never really worried about my starting salary ---I was very poor and had nothing at that time anyway. Today --retired --financially secure --great pension and benefits ---and most of all had the opportunity to work with some of the greatest people on earth ---UPS people !!!
If you intend to stay a permanent P/t --the wage is an issue --otherwise --you have only one life {that we know of } MAKE THE BEST OF IT --GO FOR IT ---- be the best you can be --hourly or mgmt ---when you look back it will be very satisfying !!!!