Part-time Pay Progression

bailey2227

I am trying to figure out the pay progression for Part-time employees. I put off starting late last year. I am in the final steps of the hiring process right now. I should be starting in the next few weeks. I'll start off at $8.50 and get a raise after 90 days to $9.50. I spoke to management and they said the average wait to become a full-time driver is 10 years. I have also been hearing I can expect to wait 20+ years for a feeder job. Here are my concerns:

1. Five years from now when I've been with UPS Part-time for five years how much will I be making? I read a few posts about staying part-time and topping out at $23.--? How long does it take to reach that amount? I don't really understand if I'll stay at $9.50 go up to $10 or $11.00 and make that for the next 10 years until I get a full-time job?

2. I am 28 years old. I spent the last few hours trying to read posts to figure out the specifics on pension plans. I get the feeling no one really knows if things will change. It seems right now the length of service is 25 or 30 years? Can anyone tell me which one it is 25 years of service or 30 years of service for a full pension?

When I read posts of people who worked 35 years for UPS. Does part-time time count towards your years of service for pension? In other words if I am 28 years old now and work 10 years part-time and 20 years full-time will that count towards 30 years for a full pension? Or will the 10 years part-time only count for 5 years full-time towards my pension and I will need 25 years as a full-time driver?

3. I want to know if I am CRAZY for wanting to work at UPS as a career? I know I have read 50+ posts about people who say go to school if you have the chance. Why kill your body and work for a company who treats you so bad.

Maybe I am way off here, but EVEN if you do work 9-11 hour days 5 days a week. You get weekends off, the pay is great once you reach top pay, the medical benefits are good, and you get a pension which doesn't happen much anymore in the job world.

I am in college right now just so you know. I'll be a college graduate here in the next 2 years. I plan to continue on for my MBA just so I can say I have it.

Can anyone tell me is it any easier to move up into a full-time driver position switching over to management? I have heard different stories on that.

I hope I can get some solid information. Also, there is another hub 2-3 hours away from where I live now. I have spoken to the human resources down there. They said that they are making part-time employees full-time drivers in 2 years. This was six months ago, so I don't know if that will go up to 3 years.

I have thought about working at UPS where I live now for a year and then putting in a request to transfer to this other hub once I have a year in. I know that I'd need to register for college down there and do it through school purposes.

If I did transfer for college purposes I know I go down to the bottom of the list seniority wise. I get to keep my vacation and sick time though right?

Does anyone know if I will get to keep my medical benefits once I get them after a year? I don't want to get my medical benefits and lose them once I transfer? This will be a big thing when deciding to transfer, SO if I anyone knows if I will get to keep my medical benefits when transferring I would greatly appreciate it?

Thanks for all your help!!

bellesotico

BOXstar
1. The best thing to do is to refer to the NMA regarding wage progression. There is a link for that here on BC..left hand side of the forum.

2. I can't even begin to answer your pension question as I don't understand it all that well myself. Again, the best thing to do is refer to the NMA and your local supplemental.

3. If you are granted an educational transfer, you keep your vacation and option days. You do not lose your medical benefits..

IDoLessWorkThanMost

as a part-timer, unless there are substantial wage increases beyond 2013, you won't sniff 15/hr for a long, long time. Probably 7-8 years or around there.

In this area, "years" is governed by hours worked. A part-timer puts a half a year of credit into their pension per year roughly. So 60 years part-time and you'll get a full 30 year pension! ;)

You're better off using the MBA and starting a career than wasting time with UPS, unless you want to go into management, which would be a possibility. Of course, that's very risky ( a full-time position) and would also be in the distant future.