Part time pension buyout - ON TOPIC

Part-time pension question - I started working part-time at UPS in Houston, TX in 1980 and left in 1987. I recall I was to receive a pension but I cannot find any info or where to write to obtain information. I was also a part-time union steward 4 of the 7 years. Can anyone provide me some guidance? I just turned 65. Thanks.

rod

Retired 22 years
Get in touch with your local Union hall. They should have a listing in the phone book under Teamsters. You're old enough to remember what a phone book is.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm thinking you need 10 yrs. To be vested. Look for nothing

5 years to be vested as a part timer. It was 10 years a long time ago but it changed (in the 1980's I think).

Also since he was a part timer it might be a UPS plan instead of a Teamsters pension.

It won't be much though. Maybe a couple of hundred dollars a month, if that much.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
5 years to be vested as a part timer. It was 10 years a long time ago but it changed (in the 1980's I think).

Also since he was a part timer it might be a UPS plan instead of a Teamsters pension.

It won't be much though. Maybe a couple of hundred dollars a month, if that much.

At probably retirement age.

I'm thinking you need 10 yrs. To be vested. Look for nothing
I appreciate everyone's feed back and that is what UPS told me. But in 7 years of working there UPS was never been truthful since I was a part-time steward. I just found the SEC document "THE UPS RETIRMENT PLAN" amendment no. 38, December 17, 2007. There is nothing about 10 years to be vested but I need over 1,000 hours per year (employees before 1992 which I have according to my Social Security contribution and the fact I was only making $8 per hour. $12,260 per year divided by $8 an hour = 1,532 hrs per year. That's 10 months of benefit service I can claim, way over the 1,000 min they told me. But UPS guy said they purged my record. The only option I see is to the write ERISA and submit my documents to make a claim. Any other ideas?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call your union local tomorrow morning to see if there is anything that they can do for you. Beyond that I don't really see where you have other options, especially if your record has been purged due to you not being vested.

I am curious about one thing. It has been nearly 30 years since you left----why the sudden interest? As was mentioned above, even if you did qualify, the monthly pension payment would be negligible, certainly less than $500/month.

Call your union local tomorrow morning to see if there is anything that they can do for you. Beyond that I don't really see where you have other options, especially if your record has been purged due to you not being vested.

I am curious about one thing. It has been nearly 30 years since you left----why the sudden interest? As was mentioned above, even if you did qualify, the monthly pension payment would be negligible, certainly less than $500/month.
Looks like he is screwed. The five year rule didn't start until 1988.

Pension Vesting Change

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Part-time pension question - I started working part-time at UPS in Houston, TX in 1980 and left in 1987. I recall I was to receive a pension but I cannot find any info or where to write to obtain information. I was also a part-time union steward 4 of the 7 years. Can anyone provide me some guidance? I just turned 65. Thanks.

Contact UPS Pension Plan
55 Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta, GA 30328

email is [email protected]

Don't look for much $, my 12.5 years of PT will pay under 600 dollars per month beginning at age 65.

(but I'll take it)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

I would assume the OP's recent 65th birthday renewed his interest in his possible UPS pension.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I appreciate everyone's feed back and that is what UPS told me. But in 7 years of working there UPS was never been truthful since I was a part-time steward.

They are habitual liars.

Actions speak louder than words.

I just found the SEC document "THE UPS RETIRMENT PLAN" amendment no. 38, December 17, 2007.

Happy reading. :biggrin:

UPS Retirement Plan, as Amended and Restated

That might pertain to the new IBT/UPS plan.... based on the date of revision.

I am curious about one thing. It has been nearly 30 years since you left----why the sudden interest?

Just because.

It was mentioned above, even if you did qualify, the monthly pension payment would be negligible, certainly less than $500/month.

If I remember correctly.... the part-time plan was paying $40.00 a month per year

of service, at this time. (if eligible)

Looks like he is screwed. The five year rule didn't start until 1988.

Pension Vesting Change

Hmm..

"The old rule required 10 years. This does not apply to collectively bargained plans."

I just looked at contract books from that period.

They don't state what the vesting requirement was, at the time.

-Bug-

They are habitual liars.

Actions speak louder than words.

Happy reading. :biggrin:

UPS Retirement Plan, as Amended and Restated

That might pertain to the new IBT/UPS plan.... based on the date of revision.

Just because.

If I remember correctly.... the part-time plan was paying $40.00 a month per year

of service, at this time. (if eligible)

Hmm..

"The old rule required 10 years. This does not apply to collectively bargained plans."

I just looked at contract books from that period.

They don't state what the vesting requirement was, at the time.

-Bug-
I sure hope he gets his money not sure what the rules were back then.