Part time pension question

LVD*4*LIFE

I started PT when I was 18. I thought I read in the contract you don't get credit towards your pension until you are 21. Am I making this up?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got part time pension credit while I was still 17, but that was a long time ago and I don't know if I was grandfathered in.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It depends. If your part time service was years ago, and you stayed on, then yes, it counts. I have 5 such years, and could have counted them toward my retirement as half a full time year.

I chose instead to recieve the retirement from UPS as well as my retirement from the teamsters. Well technically, if you only have one path to choose from......

One of the reasons for the change was that so many part timers would not go full time and many would quit after 5-10 years part time.

d

LVD*4*LIFE

It depends. If your part time service was years ago, and you stayed on, then yes, it counts. I have 5 such years, and could have counted them toward my retirement as half a full time year.

I chose instead to recieve the retirement from UPS as well as my retirement from the teamsters. Well technically, if you only have one path to choose from......

One of the reasons for the change was that so many part timers would not go full time and many would quit after 5-10 years part time.

d

Well started in 94 when I was 18. Plan on retiring PT after 35 years. So, as of this contract it will be at 53 or 56?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My last statement for my PT Pension said that I would get it "at normal retirement age", which I believe is 65. Its great being in three different pension plans while working for the same company.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
My last statement for my PT Pension said that I would get it "at normal retirement age", which I believe is 65. Its great being in three different pension plans while working for the same company.
Scratch, have you checked out the new UPS/IBT pension website? It's my understand there's a link somewhere on UPSers.com.

My PT pension also has a 'normal retirement age' of 65. I believe there are years of service and combinations of age/years eligible for full payout before that. I think the 'normal retirement age' is somehow related to or determined by Social Security, but that's only a guess. Absolutely no research on my part to back that up.

JonFrum

I started PT when I was 18. I thought I read in the contract you don't get credit towards your pension until you are 21. Am I making this up?
Contract Article 34, Section 1 (i) describes THE UPS PENSION PLAN, which is the plan for part-timers in the Central States area. (Other part-timers are in other plans with different rules.)

ARTICLE 34. HEALTH & WELFARE AND PENSION
Section 1. Health & Welfare and Pension Provisions
(i) UPS Part-time Pension Plan
(5) Effective August 1, 2002, the Employer will grant additional years of Credited Service in accordance with the terms of the Plan to all full-time and part-time employees on the payroll on August 1, 2002, who worked for UPS after they were twenty-one (21) but were denied Credited Service solely because the UPS Pension Plan required that an employee be age twenty-five (25) or older to participate in the UPS Pension Plan.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
May 3rd will be the last day for our number one PT, he hit year 40 last nov.
Even he can't get a straight answer from anyone ( teamsters and company ) on what his pension will be.
In Mass. we use the hours system; work 1800 hrs in a year gets you a full year pension credit; this applies to PT & FT.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Contract Article 34, Section 1 (i) describes THE UPS PENSION PLAN, which is the plan for part-timers in the Central States area. (Other part-timers are in other plans with different rules.)

ARTICLE 34. HEALTH & WELFARE AND PENSION
Section 1. Health & Welfare and Pension Provisions
(i) UPS Part-time Pension Plan
(5) Effective August 1, 2002, the Employer will grant additional years of Credited Service in accordance with the terms of the Plan to all full-time and part-time employees on the payroll on August 1, 2002, who worked for UPS after they were twenty-one (21) but were denied Credited Service solely because the UPS Pension Plan required that an employee be age twenty-five (25) or older to participate in the UPS Pension Plan.

As of late, our pension program is changing every day.

JonFrum

May 3rd will be the last day for our number one PT, he hit year 40 last nov.
Even he can't get a straight answer from anyone ( teamsters and company ) on what his pension will be.
In Mass. we use the hours system; work 1800 hrs in a year gets you a full year pension credit; this applies to PT & FT.
The Local and the Company wouldn't necessarily know what his pension would be. They don't run the Fund. They are not authorized to speak. Only the Fund itself can speak with authority.

So, what's the problem?

He can look up his benefit on the Tables at . . .
http://www.nettipf.com

or use the online Pension Calculator,

or visit the Pension Plan office (no appointment necessary,)

or sign up for a meeting with the Traveling Pension Plan Guy when he visits your Local one day each month.

The New England Plan is in terrible shape. But in recent years at least, they are doing this one thing right.

Note that the last one or two month's worth of contributions would not have been received yet by the Fund, so his actual dollar benefit will be a bit higher than whatever is calculated as of today's information.

FAVREFAN

As to the original posters question......I started just before my 19th birthday. I always wondered the same thing. Would I get credit for the years before I turned 21? UPS mailed out statements to all part-timers late last year showing how many years of credit you had on your pension. Mine showed credit for the years before I turned 21. So I know on paper in the contract it doesn't look like that but I think you will get credit for those years. Best of luck.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Just sent a text to my retired friend in this situation. He started at 17, started driving at 21. Retired at 51. Gets $3030 full time pension and $103.13 for 4 years of part time. This is local 344 Wisconsin.