Part time preload (morning) or evening shift??

Upsee

What is better in your opinion, morning or evening part time position. Got offered inside part time position after seasonal driving gig I did this peak, I wanted to hear some input on what's better and why in your opinion? Thank you all for your input..

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
What is better in your opinion, morning or evening part time position. Got offered inside part time position after seasonal driving gig I did this peak, I wanted to hear some input on what's better and why in your opinion? Thank you all for your input..
Preload gets more hours and more pay.

You usually get more time working preload. Local sort here works 3 1/2 hrs . Preloaders work 5-5 1/2 hrs daily.
Time goes by faster working preload and u have rest of day for anything u need to get done.

Box Ox

Preload is probably more difficult but the pay is a little better and you get more hours. And between June and mid-January, even if you're not needed for a full day route you might still be asked to run air or a mini route after the sort. And there's more interaction with drivers, which is a positive, especially if you're a good loader and are looking to work with them during temp season or down the road.

AndUPSER

I just switched back to twilight after spending the past 6 months on preload. It really depends on if you're a night or morning person. I liked preload better, but I could get more hours on twilight because I'm in a big hub. I got 35 hours this week. If I was on preload I would have worked 17 1/2. Plus my pay is the same because I'm a pick off. Ask around and see where you can get the most hours at.

Loading/unloading trailers and unloading package cars on twilight is pure physical work. The only mental work is making sure a wall in a trailer doesn't fall on you. Preload is a lot of mental work, if you give a crap.

HardknocksUPSer

If you can handle the early start times I'd go to preload, in preload you'll start off making a dollar more an Hr than you will as opposed to reload, in my opinion preload is a bit faster paced and a bit more stressful but you'll most likely get more hours on preload than you will on reload. Just be careful about your misloads, they can and will fire you for misloads. Goodluck buddy.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you can handle the early start times I'd go to preload, in preload you'll start off making a dollar more an Hr than you will as opposed to reload, in my opinion preload is a bit faster paced and a bit more stressful but you'll most likely get more hours on preload than you will on reload. Just be careful about your misloads, they can and will fire you for misloads. Goodluck buddy.
If people actually got fired solely for having any misloads...I would've been fired 8 years ago.

Upsee

I got some good advice here after reading all these replies. I don't really care about the hours a week or the pay I just want to get my senority going so that I can bid on a run in the future. They are not hiring me because they see a potential in me as a reload or preload person but so that I could work through the channels to become a driver. I am taking a path of least resistance the less hours the better, I just wanna get some time in to become a driver eventually.

oldngray

nowhere special
I got some good advice here after reading all these replies. I don't really care about the hours a week or the pay I just want to get my senority going so that I can bid on a run in the future. They are not hiring me because they see a potential in me as a reload or preload person but so that I could work through the channels to become a driver. I am taking a path of least resistance the less hours the better, I just wanna get some time in to become a driver eventually.

Preloaders have much more success at qualifying as drivers because they understand how the packages cars are loaded and sometimes get practice driving to park cars.

Upsee

Preloaders have much more success at qualifying as drivers because they understand how the packages cars are loaded and sometimes get practice driving to park cars.
I was a ground owner operator with multiple routes for 5 years so I know delivery inside out, the only difference is doing it with the UPS methods, I did it for couple of months now and I killed it. I do understand that a preloader would gain some knowledge and better understanding of how it works by loading the trucks if they are completely new to it.. The whole process is odd for people that do preload and wait months and year to have a try at it and fail without knowing what it takes. I believe it's better to come as seasonal show them what you can do then wait in line, just my opinion.

PT Car Washer

I was a ground owner operator with multiple routes for 5 years so I know delivery inside out, the only difference is doing it with the UPS methods, I did it for couple of months now and I killed it. I do understand that a preloader would gain some knowledge and better understanding of how it works by loading the trucks if they are completely new to it.. The whole process is odd for people that do preload and wait months and year to have a try at it and fail without knowing what it takes. I believe it's better to come as seasonal show them what you can do then wait in line, just my opinion.
A potential new driver would gain much more experience doing Saturday Air driving for a few months. Learn to drive the smaller trucks and use the DIAD in a lower stress environment.