Part-time Preload Sup...what should I do/expect?

LKLND3380

And yes, this is sort of the kind of response I'd be concerned about. I understand your frustration and that of anyone who has ever had someone just walk in the door and take over a job (above you) that they know nothing about. I during that time between when I first left school and then returned 5 years later, I was working in a bank directly under their E-Banking Manager. I had expressed my interest in her position often and worked to learn everything I could about it. I had even begun taking over the classes that she had initially taught to other employees on the "ins-and-outs" of e-banking. Seemed like a logical move when she decided to move to the mortgage department that they would offer me some consideration (especially given their "hire-from-within" policy). In fact, they pulled me down for an interview and told me the didn't feel I expressed enough interest in the job....WTF?!?! They ended up giving it to an outside guy who had no banking experience and wouldn't know the difference between a computer and a toilet if asked. At that point, I began looking around and was gone in 3 weeks.

That guy lasted just a hair over 30 days.

So I know it sucks. I completely understand your sentiment and I know I'd have an uphill battle with that. That said, if no one from within seeks the job (as others said they usually don't).....what are they supposed to do? :confused:1

I'll jump in here... It's not so much "Here comes an outsider..." It's more here comes someone who will believe the smoke and mirrors UPS corporate puts up...

I honestly believe UPS has an IMAGINERING team that dreams up imaginary quotas that do not work in the real world and then tells the supes to meet these numbers.

Now on paper I can figure out that I get 30 mpg in my car and the moon is 238,857 miles from earth... So I should be able to drive to the moon... UPS would have you believe this and ignore things like gravity or lack of oxygen and heat. When the goals are not met they hold you accountable and continue to ignore gravity,oxygen, etc...

Now when you are a part time supe, you will have preloaders loading four package cars. These preloaders may miss pacakages on the belt because they are 8 ft into a package car loading... These preloaders may stack packages outside the cars in a effort to minimize missed packages going down the belt. On occasion they may missload a package into the wrong package car... YOU will be held accountable for the screw ups of others... There is NO EXCUSE... Never mind the flow on the belt was heavy... Just like I said before about the gravity and oxygen, UPS will show you on paper where YOU were wrong... Never mind that only three pacakages came down the belt for that car the first 2 1/2 hours and then in 30 minute period 350 came all at once... The paperwork shows 353 pacakges came down in a three hour period... That is just under 2 packages per minute being loaded...

UNACCEPTABLE... YOU ARE ACCOUNTABLE...

There is no reason for anyone loading two packages a minute to be stacked out or have missloads... It does not matter that 350 came all at once... This is the UPS metality you will be up against from upper management.

You may walk in with the "I am going to make a change and revolutionize the way things are done for the better..." That is great... That is wonderful... But know this, every year all across the country UPS hires supes that feel that way... Most don't last 2 years...

I wish you luck...

tieguy

Banned
So if anyone can answer my question above, I'd still love to know. Again, if it helps, it's a pay grade "99".

Thanks ladies and gents! You've all offered some great information!

they are salaried. However if you work over the 27.5 hours a week then you are paid the additional hours at an overtime rate.

tieguy

Banned
PT sups are paid every two weeks, starting salary somewhere around $1200 to $1500
depending what part of the country you live in and UPS experience. You don't have any, you can negotiate, but I have a feeling UPS will stand by their offer.
Good luck

pretty close . some of areas of the country might get you a little more then that. the best time to negotiate is when you are coming off the street.

DorkHead

27.5 hours? HAHA. Count on working at least 35 to 40 or more. I don`t know if they pay you the extra time but I am sure about the hours.

BrownKnows

I'll jump in here... It's not so much "Here comes an outsider..." It's more here comes someone who will believe the smoke and mirrors UPS corporate puts up...

I honestly believe UPS has an IMAGINERING team that dreams up imaginary quotas that do not work in the real world and then tells the supes to meet these numbers.

Now on paper I can figure out that I get 30 mpg in my car and the moon is 238,857 miles from earth... So I should be able to drive to the moon... UPS would have you believe this and ignore things like gravity or lack of oxygen and heat. When the goals are not met they hold you accountable and continue to ignore gravity,oxygen, etc...

Now when you are a part time supe, you will have preloaders loading four package cars. These preloaders may miss pacakages on the belt because they are 8 ft into a package car loading... These preloaders may stack packages outside the cars in a effort to minimize missed packages going down the belt. On occasion they may missload a package into the wrong package car... YOU will be held accountable for the screw ups of others... There is NO EXCUSE... Never mind the flow on the belt was heavy... Just like I said before about the gravity and oxygen, UPS will show you on paper where YOU were wrong... Never mind that only three pacakages came down the belt for that car the first 2 1/2 hours and then in 30 minute period 350 came all at once... The paperwork shows 353 pacakges came down in a three hour period... That is just under 2 packages per minute being loaded...

UNACCEPTABLE... YOU ARE ACCOUNTABLE...

There is no reason for anyone loading two packages a minute to be stacked out or have missloads... It does not matter that 350 came all at once... This is the UPS metality you will be up against from upper management.

You may walk in with the "I am going to make a change and revolutionize the way things are done for the better..." That is great... That is wonderful... But know this, every year all across the country UPS hires supes that feel that way... Most don't last 2 years...

I wish you luck...

Good insight. I have to ask, if UPS holds their sups accountable regardless of the conditions or circumstances surrounding an error....at what point do they finally just fire them? How secure is their job? Is it secure so long as they can put up with the BS, or how does that work?

I know I can't change the world, but I do believe I can develop good relationships with pretty much anyone, especially my collegues, and would hope that it would at least help. I know it won't make things better for most people, but you never know.

Thank you LKLND! :thumbup1:

BrownKnows

pretty close . some of areas of the country might get you a little more then that. the best time to negotiate is when you are coming off the street.

Sounds good TIE! I appreciate the numbers/range. That will help me and give me a little to work off of goiing in should I get a call back. I plan to call the location directly today to see if that might expedite things.

Just for kicks, the location I would be applying to is in Athens (Bogart), GA...about 50-60 miles from Atlanta. It's a meduim sized city, but also a major college town and overrun with businesses. Does anyone know about this area specifically and what I could expect based on the above stated pay range?

BrownKnows

27.5 hours? HAHA. Count on working at least 35 to 40 or more. I don`t know if they pay you the extra time but I am sure about the hours.

The hours aren't so much the issue as opposed to what time of day they are. Of course, this is also where class flexibility comes in too, so we'll see. If overtime is involved, then 35-40 is right up my alley! :wink::w00t:

W

westsideworma

The hours aren't so much the issue as opposed to what time of day they are. Of course, this is also where class flexibility comes in too, so we'll see. If overtime is involved, then 35-40 is right up my alley! :wink::w00t:

PT supes get premium time (which is more than regular pay, but not time and a half) from hours 27.5-40 after 40 its time and a half (OT)

Working4TheBene's

Sure you think that you can implement changes that will ultimately change not only the work flow, but the morale of your employees. I think morale is such a huge problem everywhere. When upper management says you have to have a certain bph, then they do not care abnout you or your employees' morale, they just want to hit their goal mark. Consequently, your employees' morale will suffer, therefore, so will their productivity.

As far as supervisors go, you do not really have any job security. Even mid upper managemtn can be let go or moved around... part of UPS upper mgmt strategy is to move people around... from facility to another facility... therefore, there is always a threat above your head that they will use against you if you do not hit those target numbers. Now remember, for instance, it is difficulty for an outsider to come in and say unload (or load) a certain amount of packages if you have never done it yourself... but if you work at UPS and then get promoted, at least you would earn some respect and your employees will know where you are coming from when you are directing them...

FYI - As for me, I just took and passed the MAPP assessment (mgmt test). My test results were high enough so it qualified me for the part time supe as well as the full time supe position. However, when I passed, I asked for 2 weeks to consider my options, and it is just about two weeks now... FYI - I will be telling them that I am no longer interested. (I really only took it to show them that not all employees are "monkeys" - that is how most if not all hourly employees are referred to...) This is also due to in light of a huge management shakeup at my facility... new faces, some old faces, promotions, demotions, etc...

LKLND3380

Good insight. I have to ask, if UPS holds their sups accountable regardless of the conditions or circumstances surrounding an error....at what point do they finally just fire them? How secure is their job? Is it secure so long as they can put up with the BS, or how does that work?

I know I can't change the world, but I do believe I can develop good relationships with pretty much anyone, especially my collegues, and would hope that it would at least help. I know it won't make things better for most people, but you never know.

Thank you LKLND! :thumbup1:

The Supes pretty much put up with it and I have not seen any get fired... Yet...

It's not secure and that is main reason why most hourlies do not choose to move up the corporate ladder. Hourlies are protected by the Union contract with UPS. Supes are at the mercy of UPS. You will have hourlies get into a disagreement with a supe or manager and the hourly can file a grevence against the supe... If an hourly is stacked out and a supe is helping, a grievence can be filed against the Supe for doing union work...

It's not personalities/relationships that clash as much as it is corporate preventing everyone from being successful. If every package car was loaded the same and every package was the same size/weight, maybe corporate would know what they are doing. But each package car has it's own personality based on the stops. One car may have the Mall and be blown out with shoes for Foot Locker or Payless so that is loaded different. Maybe you have a residence where the person is always buying from Home Shopping Network. Maybe there is a construction site or University... So many variables... Corporate only sees NUMBERS expenses, profit and payroll... Part timers are guaranteed 3 1/2 hours each day and are paid overtime IF they work over five hours each day. So you try to get the most out of the person in a short time BUT you must also be safe and use proper methods... To use proper methods and be safe takes too long and is near impossible when package cars are bulked out from front to back...

Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't...

HazMatMan

That's not true, part-time sups in my building are kicked off the clock after 5 hours as if they were Union members. Real funny how when UPS has to pay them overtime over a certain amount of hours how they can kick them out so quickly and not abuse them as much anymore..

BrownKnows

Okay, so I tried calling the number listed to reach my local UPS hub to inquire about this opening and got a national call center that only gave me tracking, shipping, and supply order options. I gave it incorrect prompts enough to get me connected with a service representative only to find out that they can't give out direct numbers to hubs anymore and was told they wouldn't take calls anyway. When I told her I had a question about an open position in my area, she referred me to an "Employment Hotline" number where she said they may be able to give me the direct contact info. To no surprise, it was no more than a recording telling me that their application process has changed and all applications must be submitted online and that if I didn't have a computer, I should just head to my local library. Then it disconnects.

This pretty much sucks. There is no service area or customer counter at our local UPS location. Anytime I've ever had to pick something up there, I end up just finding the first person available around one of the load/unload areas and he/she gets someone looking for my package. So I guess I'm just **** outta luck. If it's meant to be, they'll call I suppose. I just hate having to leave it all up to that "online application" that I have no idea if it will ever even reach a manager's hands at my location.

If anyone has any ideas or any advice for how to locate a more helpful number, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again!

HazMatMan

Does this just vary from center to center??? :confused:1

It seems as though everyone's is a little different.

They try to get ALL part-time sups "off the clock" (that sounds funny) as quickly as possible knowing now the possibility of paying them "overtime." I remember when this all started, the Division Manager actually said 'I hope they don't get that union mentality" (Like being in a union or getting paid for ALL hours worked was a bad thing.)

W

westsideworma

Okay, so I tried calling the number listed to reach my local UPS hub to inquire about this opening and got a national call center that only gave me tracking, shipping, and supply order options. I gave it incorrect prompts enough to get me connected with a service representative only to find out that they can't give out direct numbers to hubs anymore and was told they wouldn't take calls anyway. When I told her I had a question about an open position in my area, she referred me to an "Employment Hotline" number where she said they may be able to give me the direct contact info. To no surprise, it was no more than a recording telling me that their application process has changed and all applications must be submitted online and that if I didn't have a computer, I should just head to my local library. Then it disconnects.

This pretty much sucks. There is no service area or customer counter at our local UPS location. Anytime I've ever had to pick something up there, I end up just finding the first person available around one of the load/unload areas and he/she gets someone looking for my package. So I guess I'm just **** outta luck. If it's meant to be, they'll call I suppose. I just hate having to leave it all up to that "online application" that I have no idea if it will ever even reach a manager's hands at my location.

If anyone has any ideas or any advice for how to locate a more helpful number, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again!

if it helps I was hired via online application (not for a supe, but a preloader).

Ive been a p/t supervisor for 5 years and we start at $1900 due to our high cost of living in the s.friend. bay area. As far as hours it probably depends on the volume, job assignment and quality of upper management. We process 65-85,000 in a 3.5 hour period without going over our allowed 5.5 hours a day.There is also an overtime pay system that was instituted in California. It was put into place 3 years ago after a class action lawsuit was won in L.A. because p/t supervisors were not being compensated for working overtime. This system may only be in place for the state of California or maybe only our Pacific Region. It would be a good question to ask.